Wikiposts

Me again!

Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Me again!

O.k, having a better week, so thought I'd post a quick update.

Been in Devon since 10th Oct, living on deckchairs and sleeping on blow up beds got a call today to say our furniture is coming on the 12th ...yippeee. Can't wait, we'll have a comfy Christmas.

The kids: well, we're moving our daughter to a better school after being utterly disgusted by the behaviour of a lot of the kids in their current very small, quite and supposedly decent school. We have lodged an appeal to get our son moved and we have a hearing on the 12th too (could be fun whilst juggling furniture removals!). We live in hope that he gets moved, especially after last week when we get a letter home from the headmaster confirming the rumours of a knife being brought into school by a kid in our sons class were true If the appeal is turned down then we will be moving, simple as. We are a bit disappointed that our kids don't have anyone to play with really round here as there are a lot of retired people around us. A bit of a shock after being in Oz and they were out playing everyday after school and at weekends. Then again, in the summer the flies would drive them mad and they'd come in because it was too hot.

Devon itself, still as beautiful as ever and we've been on some lovely walks. The weather hasn't been that bad really and we've had plenty of blue skies and sunshine. Christmas is really in the air and it really feels like Christmas, which is lovely after 5 very bland and dull Oz Christmasses . Can't wait to get my tree unpacked and decorated, stick on the Chrissy c.d, have a glass of Baileys and snuggle up. Lovely. Christmas will be spent with the in-laws, which will be a full roast cooked in an Aga, then off over to Haytor for a walk. We'll be spending lots of time catching up with family, especially over New Year when we're going up to Herefordshire to my tribe. Haven't seen my bruv yet, and he hasn't seen our kids since summer 2006. Good times ahead and ones I will really cherish

Our bank......slow would be an understatement. They have two speeds here, slow and stop. Arrrrgh. Drives us potty trying to get anything done because they need form after form filling in for something very simple.

Claiming child tax credit and child benefit....complete ball ache. They won't recognise the children are mine until they see the birth certificates, which are on the container, despite us having received child benefit before.

Jobs, ah, now this is proving to be a bit of a pain in the butt for me. I've applied for several jobs where I think I have the relevant qualities and qualifications and.....nothing, nada, not even a letter to say "Sod off your application sucked!" Rather demoralising to say the least. But onwards and upwards, something will turn up one day. If not, I'll be round the back of Rackhams with a big bag of change

Hubby, you know the one who didn't want to come back at all, is doing the best out of all of us really. He would go back to Oz given a choice because he loved it there, but here he's really enjoying his training and can see the possibilities that lie ahead for him. He's also loving the little pubs we've been to. Talking about pubs, we went to the local village the other night with some nice people () and watched the chirssy lights being turned on. We then went into a lovely 14thC pub, had half a Doombar ale (oh yum), stood next to a roaring log fire and watched the lights twinkling on a real chrissy tree. It was one of those moments I'd dreamed of whilst in Oz. Bliss. Then on Saturday night we went with the same nice people to another local little old pub, had more Doombar, then went to watch some very dodgy music band. Nice night, but could've easily stayed in said old pub drinking Doombar real ale. Sheer nectar it is.

There are many positive things about living here and being home. We just feel at the moment we are being buried with negatives and more than our fair share of crap. We are seriously hoping the luck changes, things start to work out and we can make a life for us all here in Devon because I'm sure there is a decent one to have here.

Will post another update when we have some positive news, which we're sure is just around the corner.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Me again!

Alright Trace, good to hear from you.

Good that you are making some progress with the kids schooling, next thing is a job, maybe because this is the run up to Christmas your applications are getting put on the backburner.

Has the novelty of the nice chocolate and crisps worn off yet now you know you can get them whenever you want?

I am imagining you around your roaring log fire supping ale, and looking forward to a proper Christmas, this will be my last Chrissie here in Aus.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:11 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey!

Great to hear from you. English pubs and christmas. I envy you!

So sorry to hear about the kids school. How close by are the other schools though?

Maybe you will have better luck on the job front after christmas. I have found that if people are going to leave a job they usually wait until the new year, so fingers crossed there might be more vacancies then.

Can you do me a favour and check out the superannuation thread thats going at the moment? Someone said you guys managed to claim yours back when you left?

Have a great christmas all of you!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:28 am
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to see your thread as we will be back to Devon in 4 weeks!

Sorry to hear the school problem and hope you'll get it sorted out. Hope we will find good schools for our's. Looking on the internet at houses at Exminster and Barton Grange near Exeter and the schools look nice but we'll wait until we get there.

I've popped the birth certificates in our case after you mentioned they needed to see them for the child benefit!

Hope the job hunting goes okay.

Have a great Christmas and we'll soon be following you!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi Trace Thanks for the warning about the birth certs!!!!

Well things sound abit more cheery for you. I did think that once your furniture arrived you would feel alot better. I have sold most of mine we will be homeless and furnitureless

If it's any consulation i had a letter from Jacks school saying 2 gangs in the school were found with knives, not 1, the whole lot had kinives. I think it's just kids in this day and age.

Have yourselves a wonderful Xmas...we will catch up when we get back.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hi Tracey!

Great to hear from you. English pubs and christmas. I envy you!

So sorry to hear about the kids school. How close by are the other schools though?

Maybe you will have better luck on the job front after christmas. I have found that if people are going to leave a job they usually wait until the new year, so fingers crossed there might be more vacancies then.

Can you do me a favour and check out the superannuation thread thats going at the moment? Someone said you guys managed to claim yours back when you left?

Have a great christmas all of you!
Have p.m'd you the details

Originally Posted by deborahjane
Great to see your thread as we will be back to Devon in 4 weeks!

Sorry to hear the school problem and hope you'll get it sorted out. Hope we will find good schools for our's. Looking on the internet at houses at Exminster and Barton Grange near Exeter and the schools look nice but we'll wait until we get there.

I've popped the birth certificates in our case after you mentioned they needed to see them for the child benefit!

Hope the job hunting goes okay.

Have a great Christmas and we'll soon be following you!
We're off into Exeter today to do some shopping. If we fail to get our eldest into the school we want, we'll be moving over in that direction aiming for Uffculme area. Good luck with the move.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hi Trace Thanks for the warning about the birth certs!!!!

Well things sound abit more cheery for you. I did think that once your furniture arrived you would feel alot better. I have sold most of mine we will be homeless and furnitureless

If it's any consulation i had a letter from Jacks school saying 2 gangs in the school were found with knives, not 1, the whole lot had kinives. I think it's just kids in this day and age.

Have yourselves a wonderful Xmas...we will catch up when we get back.

Holy crap Rach, was that gangs in the UK or in Oz? If it was in the UK aren't you worried about putting the kids into school? Scares me just how aggressive kids can be
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to get your updates Tracey - I agree with the others, perhaps your timing for getting jobs is not the best, I would think teaching would see more activity coming up for summer (if that is what you are going for) unless you can get some relief work of course due to all the coughs and colds going the rounds.

Hope that things really pick up for you soon though!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me know what Exeter is like for shopping etc as I have only seen it in pictures! Thanks.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Have p.m'd you the details

We're off into Exeter today to do some shopping. If we fail to get our eldest into the school we want, we'll be moving over in that direction aiming for Uffculme area. Good luck with the move.

Holy crap Rach, was that gangs in the UK or in Oz? If it was in the UK aren't you worried about putting the kids into school? Scares me just how aggressive kids can be
No not the UK, we not back yet lol..
The knives were found on boys in Kinross school. That's what i mean, it's not just the school your Nick goes to, it's schools all over.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracy,

Glad to hear things are looking up for you, and that you have a plan of action.

As you know, we've had some similar issues to yours with schools. Actually, the issues have been mainly with aggressive, disruptive kids and their parents -the teachers have been great but there is only so much they can do, given what they are up against.

It does seem much harder to avoid the negatives in England than I thought it would be. And when those factors have a direct impact on your children, it's very hard to accept.

But we have a plan too. My daughter took the test for a grammar school, mainly as we thought it would be a good way to get her away from the disruptive kids that don't want to learn and want to make sure nobody else does. Miraculously she passed. If she'd failed the test we might have been booking tickets back to Perth right now.

But instead we'll probably be moving to Cheltenham some time next year. I have mixed feelings about Cheltenham to be honest (it has some really rough bits), but we can see a way forward now, and I think that is the key.

I'm also enjoying the pubs and history and the general atmosphere of the place. The autumn/winter has been great. Much nicer than the disappointing summer. Lucky you missed that.

Having your furniture will definitely help (although be prepared for the a few days of stress and chaos as you try to cram it all in to an English-sized house, unless you bought a bloody mansion!)

All the best,

Chris
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

awwwwweeee thanx tracey for taking the time to update us
Old Dec 5th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Hi Tracy,

Glad to hear things are looking up for you, and that you have a plan of action.

As you know, we've had some similar issues to yours with schools. Actually, the issues have been mainly with aggressive, disruptive kids and their parents -the teachers have been great but there is only so much they can do, given what they are up against.

It does seem much harder to avoid the negatives in England than I thought it would be. And when those factors have a direct impact on your children, it's very hard to accept.

But we have a plan too. My daughter took the test for a grammar school, mainly as we thought it would be a good way to get her away from the disruptive kids that don't want to learn and want to make sure nobody else does. Miraculously she passed. If she'd failed the test we might have been booking tickets back to Perth right now.

But instead we'll probably be moving to Cheltenham some time next year. I have mixed feelings about Cheltenham to be honest (it has some really rough bits), but we can see a way forward now, and I think that is the key.

I'm also enjoying the pubs and history and the general atmosphere of the place. The autumn/winter has been great. Much nicer than the disappointing summer. Lucky you missed that.

Having your furniture will definitely help (although be prepared for the a few days of stress and chaos as you try to cram it all in to an English-sized house, unless you bought a bloody mansion!)

All the best,

Chris
Im really glad you are taking positive steps - and you too, Tracey

It does take time, but understandable given the enourmous changes youve both been through. Even nearly 3 years on, I still have those What have I done Days LOL - but I really have come to be philosophical and try to think of today, rather than too much into the future. Where you are today is all that matters and what you can do with today. Put other days to one side and make today a good one.

Very proud of you both, you little fighters, you

C
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:44 am
M12
Just Joined

M12 is a jewel in the roughM12 is a jewel in the roughM12 is a jewel in the roughM12 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We have just returned to the UK at the beginning of November currently staying with my parents which I know is very kind of them but we need our own place soon !

I reapplied for child benefit and have just got the letter back telling me my award and I didn't send their birth certificates with the application I think there was some small print which said don't send the birth certificates if you have previously been in receipt of child benefit. I couldn't even remember or find my child benefit number to put on the form.

We haven't been away as long as you though just under 10 months not sure that should make much difference though.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:10 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello my darlin' Great to hear there are some snippets of good times beginning to appear amongst the nightmare!!

Sorry to hear about the children's school - fingers crossed for the appeal - I used to work with school appeals - there is a fab book about winning appeals - 'How to Win Your School Appeal' by Ben Rooney - but I guess it is too late for you to get a copy now seeing as it is tomorrow!! - just speak from your heart and try and make your case compelling without running the school down - remember it has to be about your son and what he needs rather than rubbishing the school - also check out this website for some guidance - http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice/booklets/Appealing.html. Anyway I'm sure you know all that so I'll shut up now!

Anyway enjoy all the build up to Christmas and keep us posted on your news. Good luck with the appeal - fingers crossedxxxx
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Oh good news came today. We had a call from the appeals panel and our son has been offered a place in the good school!!!! So, no appeal hearing to go through.

Looks like things are on the up.....just need to get a job now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.