Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Maybe back to UK - where to start? help!!!

Maybe back to UK - where to start? help!!!

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:21 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maybe back to UK - where to start? help!!!

Originally Posted by lynniep
I was a bit pregnant when we returned to the UK, and kind of fretful about it as it is my first (now I'm a lot pregnant!) There wasnt really any need to be!

I had a few blips getting registered, but it really really depends where you end up in the UK on what you experience.

Firstly, if you've still got your NHS number, it makes life a bit simpler, but its not necessary. If you're UK born, you're still entitled to NHS treatment.

When I first got back to the UK, I was staying with friends in London. They're a lot stricter about who they let into their GP surgeries in London, so the first hurdle was actually to register. They wouldnt let me do it without utility bills, bank statement or rental agreement, none of which I had, so I just nipped down to WHSmith, got a bog standard rental agreement for about a fiver, and filled it in with random details. They were fine with that - they just wanted something on paper - and booked me in with the nurse (for registering checkup) and the doctor (for pregnancy). The doctor then gave me a list of 3 hospitals to choose from, and referred me to my chosen one. I got a letter a few weeks later for my first scan appointment (but would be quicker if you're a lot further gone).

My experience of St Marys, Paddington (I had 3 visits) was ok, but impersonal as you might expect in London. The midwives are all based at the hospital clinics, and were very sweet, but too busy to take much of an interest. I was happy that they were giving me the information I needed about classes and suchlike though.

We then moved house in November (25 weeks), to Cambridgeshire, and again I had to register with another GP. This was a completely different - I had no problems registering and again was booked in with nurse for checkup. The nurse gave me the number of the local midwife, whom I rang up and made appt for home visit. She came round the next week, and stayed for about an hour - she did basic checkup and gave me all the info I needed, about parent craft classes, hospital visits and so on. It was all quite different from the London experience. They hold a pregnancy clinic at the local surgery every week, which she takes, so at the moment I go once a fortnight for my checkup.

The flying thing - I wasnt that far gone, so was OK but its apparently perfectly safe at 24 weeks, as long as you get up and about during the flight, and drink lots of water, which is the bog standard recommendation anyway. I have friends who've done the long haul at various stages, and its hard to say because it depends how your body is coping in a 'normal' environment. For instance if you're suffering water rentention anyway, you might find it more painful over the vast amount of time you're up in the air, but its not harming the baby, just causing you discomfort. High/low blood pressure might also be an issue, but in general, I've had nothing but positive reports from people (including a UK->NZ at 30 wks)

I'd so much rather get the air travel out of the way before it was born, but thats just my opinion. Good luck with it!
Wow what a great post- karma for that- I'm further along than it sounds like you were but the WHSmith rental contract is classic- you smart cookie!

I've heard more positives than negs about the birthing experience in the Uk and I feel much more ready to go than before, so thanks everyone, it just sounds like I have to be on the ball about getting things moving due to my tighter time frame.
Getting all excited about maybe having a water birth, not an option here unless I want to go outside a hospital.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hayley
Wow what a great post- karma for that- I'm further along than it sounds like you were but the WHSmith rental contract is classic- you smart cookie!

I've heard more positives than negs about the birthing experience in the Uk and I feel much more ready to go than before, so thanks everyone, it just sounds like I have to be on the ball about getting things moving due to my tighter time frame.
Getting all excited about maybe having a water birth, not an option here unless I want to go outside a hospital.
Hayley, have you joined the babycentre online groups for your babies due date?

www.babycentre.co.uk

I found them helpful when I was pregnant with my youngest son. You can chat to ladies due around the same time as you and ask questions about the birth process in the UK.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:00 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Hayley, have you joined the babycentre online groups for your babies due date?

www.babycentre.co.uk

I found them helpful when I was pregnant with my youngest son. You can chat to ladies due around the same time as you and ask questions about the birth process in the UK.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:46 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out!
Brilliant!! found some mum's in my home town! (it's pretty small so v. chuffed)
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Brilliant!! found some mum's in my home town! (it's pretty small so v. chuffed)
Great! I'm sure you will find it really useful and maybe you can hook up with some mums when you return.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

fishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nice

Hi
That was really useful, thanks! I am hoping to fly back at about 24-6 weeks (26 the latest). I am quite small now but only 17 weeks at the moment so am sure that will be larger. My main concern is comfort/safety for me and baby in the long flight. We may stop off for a night at the half way point wherever that is so we can get a long walk etc. I always do drink lots and walk about ltos on flights as am a bit of a hypochondriac!

Thanks for the babycentre website looks good. I feel a bit less panicky now about how to go about it all. It will be major drama but I have to say I would rather do this with a bump than a baby. I am not sure husband would move back if there was no baby, we may stay but I really didn't think being pregnant would change my mindset so much. I was homesick before but now I feel the pull of home and family far more than I thought I would. Is this normal for pregnant ladies?

I think I will move in with parents for a week or so, registering there (get some bills sent to their address) and then when we find somewhere perhaps near to oxfordshire or outer london we can hopefully register there and get the notes (UK ones plus my NZ ones which would have) transferred and get me set up with a hospital there. Scary but hopefully doable!

Thanks, Fishpond.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fishpond
Hi
That was really useful, thanks! I am hoping to fly back at about 24-6 weeks (26 the latest). I am quite small now but only 17 weeks at the moment so am sure that will be larger. My main concern is comfort/safety for me and baby in the long flight. We may stop off for a night at the half way point wherever that is so we can get a long walk etc. I always do drink lots and walk about ltos on flights as am a bit of a hypochondriac!

Thanks for the babycentre website looks good. I feel a bit less panicky now about how to go about it all. It will be major drama but I have to say I would rather do this with a bump than a baby. I am not sure husband would move back if there was no baby, we may stay but I really didn't think being pregnant would change my mindset so much. I was homesick before but now I feel the pull of home and family far more than I thought I would. Is this normal for pregnant ladies?

I think I will move in with parents for a week or so, registering there (get some bills sent to their address) and then when we find somewhere perhaps near to oxfordshire or outer london we can hopefully register there and get the notes (UK ones plus my NZ ones which would have) transferred and get me set up with a hospital there. Scary but hopefully doable!

Thanks, Fishpond.
Well do let us know how you get on. I think it's only natural to want to have your baby close to your family and I'm sure the feelings are worse when you are pregnant with all those hormonal swings! Having kids certainly changes your outlook on life. Sometimes I think I would be enjoying my stint abroad if it were just me and my husband, without all the worries that education brings.

Wishing you all the best.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:07 am
Just Joined

USUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really nice

Well I hate to see you floundering out there!
I am moving back to the Uk form the US after six years and my baby is due in August. We also have a April leaving date set and I'm freaking out about the house selling (it goes on the market next week)

Can't help with the shipping (a search of the forums might help) but can say there are others in similar boats and one day soon we will be immersed in nappies and forgetting all the upheaval. Also you can spend your time checking out the great cheap baby stuff in mothercare, boots, tesco, asda etc.
Hi there,
I am an American mom of two "halfsies", as I like to call it! My husband is British, from Blackburn, and we are seriously considering moving back to the UK. We have been here in the US, married, for 6 years.

My husband wants to go back for a Master's in teaching and educational and employment prospects look much better in Britain, can you say "free" schooling? I also want to attend school for a Master's when the kidlets are older (currently 4 years and 7 months).

We actually both miss the UK, I studied and worked there, also lived with his family, so we are all close. However, I would be leaving family and friends behind, which is a bit hard to swallow. But, we have told everyone of our plans, and everyone is supportive and says we have to do whats best for the family.

There are so many benefits to moving back to the UK, but I'm mostly afraid how my 4 year old would adjust, and frankly how I would adjust. We probably wouldn't move back until Summer of 2008. My son would enter school at 5 1/2 years old. He would finish out one more year of preschool here.

Anyway, you've probably fallen asleep by now, but, could you tell me why you are moving back? Why leave the US?

Thank you,
UKUSmama
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

fishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nicefishpond is just really nice

Hi
I am in NZ not the US, sorry but I grew up in England as did my husband. This will be our first child and for me this is quite a big deal. I feel the pull of home, close friends, family and familiarity more than I did before and more than I thought I would. We may be back but at the moment I think we will give the UK another try. It wasn't that bad I don't think. We came here for an adventure and not for a fixed time period or forever.

NZ is a lovely place, I like it here but there is something that I miss that I just can't get and I feel I need it more than ever now I am expecting a baby...

So, that is why...hope this is not mad, a waste, a failure etc. but that is what I feel.

Thanks for your help though it is always good to hear other points of view

Originally Posted by USUKmama
Hi there,
I am an American mom of two "halfsies", as I like to call it! My husband is British, from Blackburn, and we are seriously considering moving back to the UK. We have been here in the US, married, for 6 years.

My husband wants to go back for a Master's in teaching and educational and employment prospects look much better in Britain, can you say "free" schooling? I also want to attend school for a Master's when the kidlets are older (currently 4 years and 7 months).

We actually both miss the UK, I studied and worked there, also lived with his family, so we are all close. However, I would be leaving family and friends behind, which is a bit hard to swallow. But, we have told everyone of our plans, and everyone is supportive and says we have to do whats best for the family.

There are so many benefits to moving back to the UK, but I'm mostly afraid how my 4 year old would adjust, and frankly how I would adjust. We probably wouldn't move back until Summer of 2008. My son would enter school at 5 1/2 years old. He would finish out one more year of preschool here.

Anyway, you've probably fallen asleep by now, but, could you tell me why you are moving back? Why leave the US?

Thank you,
UKUSmama
Old Feb 8th 2007, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by USUKmama
Hi there,

Thank you,
UKUSmama
Well there's lots of reasons- The books of bill bryson might help- but I echo what fishpond says it is home and where my family is.
A search of my past posts may help.
I am just really fed up with the work work work culture of the US, and the political landscape at the moment. I've looked into costs of monthly bills and it's no more expensive (in fact with free healthcare cheaper in some cases) to live at home.
I prefer the grocery stores, organic choices, enviromental awareness and lots of other things in my mother land. I have friends here that point out 'well we have that here' but you just don't know how much more different it is until you get there for example organic food- yes the US has organic choices but when you compare it to the choice in England- the US is antiquated in some aspects.

I have only lived in Spokane, so perhaps New york or somewhere like that would be different, I can't say but thats just my 2 cents. I WANT TO GO HOME!!!

Just a footnote USUKmama- I am really fed up here at the moment- so perhaps my views will not be the most balanced :-)
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[I've heard more positives than negs about the birthing experience in the Uk

having given birth in both the US and Uk i must say the UK wins hands down, probably because i had family to visit me in hospital afterwards! i gave birth to my 1st daughter in the national naval medical centre in bethesda, maryland (my ex was in the navy) and at the time i remember having no visitors only him. it was quite depressing and then the fact that he was a total pr*ck (argued with me in hospital 'cos i'd misplaced a wee bootee - which turned up in the end) didnt help. I had a c-section and his lack of help afterwards didnt help the situation. i was driving 1 week after the birth.

My experience of giving birth to my 2nd daughter in the Uk (northern ireland to be precise) was such a great experience. my husband is attentive, helpful and great to have around. we had the support of family and friends and afcourse our older girl who was nearly 9 at the time. the surgeon performing the c-section asked about my scar and said it was a total mess in the inside full of scar tissue, she fixed it for me and it has gone flat (the 1st time it never, it was like a piece of red cord stuck on my belly!). i did ask for a tummy tuck while she was at it but unfornately she couldnt help there. aftercare is great here too, what with midwives, then health visitors calling out - non of that in the US, not with the navy anyway! all in all my 2nd experience was so much more enjoyable, not one that will be repeated tho!

looks like i'm beginging to waffle so i'll go................

Lynn
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

USUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really niceUSUKmama is just really nice

Well there's lots of reasons- The books of bill bryson might help- but I echo what fishpond says it is home and where my family is.
A search of my past posts may help.
I am just really fed up with the work work work culture of the US, and the political landscape at the moment. I've looked into costs of monthly bills and it's no more expensive (in fact with free healthcare cheaper in some cases) to live at home.
I prefer the grocery stores, organic choices, enviromental awareness and lots of other things in my mother land. I have friends here that point out 'well we have that here' but you just don't know how much more different it is until you get there for example organic food- yes the US has organic choices but when you compare it to the choice in England- the US is antiquated in some aspects.

I have only lived in Spokane, so perhaps New york or somewhere like that would be different, I can't say but thats just my 2 cents. I WANT TO GO HOME!!!

Just a footnote USUKmama- I am really fed up here at the moment- so perhaps my views will not be the most balanced :-)
I appreciate your response. My hubby and I swing from extreme to extreme every week on this decision. We are gathering info on both sides of the decision, so we are well informed. We actually just found out that the UK, back in 2005, started charging UK residents tuition. Back in 1998 when hubby was going to college, it was completely paid for. So, this puts a wrench in the works, and makes us reconsider looking into going to school in the US.

Anyway, the saga of the decision continues...
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to read this about the NHS as they have changed a few things probably since you left

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nm/ind...rom_abroad.htm

Originally Posted by fishpond
Hi there people,

Have posted this on the NZ forum too but thought this was a good place also and not sure how much overlap there is...

We are thinking of returning to the UK earlier than we thought because although we like it here, lifestyle, some family etc., I am having a baby in July and feel I would prefer to be at home for such a major life change. I don't think NZ will go away and we can come back. Anyway, quite a bit to sort out by April and not sure where to start!

I guess I would need to sort flights, flat here (bills, notice to landlord, post, gym, subs etc), shipping, where to live in UK (initially poss with parents), healthcare back in UK for baby. Not sure in what order or how to go about it all and start! Sounds daft as have done it all to come out here!

Any good recommendations for shipping companies? Ideally I would like one that helps you pack up things as am getting less energetic as time goes on! We had a good experience with Anglo Pacific coming to NZ...

Help! Deep breaths, trying not to panic!!

Fishpond