Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

May Need Urgent flight Home ?

Wikiposts

May Need Urgent flight Home ?

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May Need Urgent flight Home ?

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Hi All
A big thank you for the advice and support.
when stuff like this happens it certainly makes you realise how far way from home you are. Simple things like making phone calls to relatives back home and having to deal with our upset daughter back home etc.
Anyway Nick was obviously very upset and think is still in a state of disbelief at the moment. His mum is still in intensive care but making progress and is semi conscious his brothers have told him to hang fire a day or two and see how things go which against my advice he is doing. I would prefer him and youngest daughter to go now and I would follow on. However, this incident has made him decide he want to go home permanently now rather than later in the year so I will be busy this am ringing for quotes for shippers and sort the dog out. She had her rabies vaccination 3 weeks ago and blood tests next week so cant travel until mid december so we will have to decide to put her in kennels here and a friend can visit her till she fly's or send her home with us and have her in quarantine near home and visit her there decisions, decisions.

However, have told hubby that if his mum takes a turn for the worse then I will just book his flight and he will have know choice in the matter etc.

Anyway thanks again folks just off to make a long list of things to do.
Hello,

Glad to hear your MIL is making a bit of a progress. My thoughts are with you and yours at this time. I hope you get everything sorted and all the best for your future.

Ginny
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Hi tillysmum, I do hope MIL continues to improve, my thoughts are with you. If you need any info for moving back home just put out a thread someone will be able to help/answer? wishing your MIL a full recovery and you and yours safe travels and peace of mind xx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what to say or what advice to offer.

Personally I would say sod it and get the first flight I could and go. However, I have to admit I'm in the lucky position at the moment to be able to pay for it and not everyone is as lucky.

My thoughts are with you, and I'll be ringing my parents this weekend.

Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

I'm sorry to hear about this, I got a call last night in a similar vein about my Grandad who got admitted yesterday, I wish you luck and hope you dont need to fly home. I cant go, we haven't the money.

At least they are both in a health system that is bloody marvellous. What can be done, will be done for them.

Jo
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the good wishes guys

A bit of good news yesterday Nicks mum is now out of intensive care and quite lucid, infact when Nick rang Nobles hosp (I.O.M) last night they knew he was ringing from Australia so they took the phone to her bed and he had a brief chat with her. He said he wasnt sure whether that was a good idea as she sounded awful a bit confused at times and kept saying to him that he was nearly coming back for a funeral!! He said she sounded really old and frail and her speech was a little slurred. But looking at the positive I think it was good that he spoke to her cos at least if something happens he has spoken to her. I keep telling him to go back as I dont want him to ever regret not going. I think he is still trying to get his head around things and prepare himself incase she takes a turn for the worse.

I also think he feels he need to help wrap things up here first i.e. pack up I am still quite limited as to what I can do physically after the car accident in April:curse: as we cant afford for him and our daughter to go home and come back here then go home a few weeks later.
But I am working on him bit by bit about going sooner rather than later I dont want to put too much pressure on him.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:57 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Awe really hope everything turns out well for you guys, its really hard when someone is very ill or has passed away..........you get pulled in all directions and never sure if you've made the right discission Best wishesxx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

Where in QLD are you? Are any of us near enough to give you a hand with things while he goes to see his mum? I'm a dab hand at packing and making tea, if you are close enough of course!

Jo

At least he got to talk to his mum, I haven't spoken to my grandad since last July, we both got really upset and he wont come to the phone now, not even to be wished "Happy New Years" (My grandma didn't half have a go at 'im fer that! )

Thanks for the good wishes guys

A bit of good news yesterday Nicks mum is now out of intensive care and quite lucid, infact when Nick rang Nobles hosp (I.O.M) last night they knew he was ringing from Australia so they took the phone to her bed and he had a brief chat with her. He said he wasnt sure whether that was a good idea as she sounded awful a bit confused at times and kept saying to him that he was nearly coming back for a funeral!! He said she sounded really old and frail and her speech was a little slurred. But looking at the positive I think it was good that he spoke to her cos at least if something happens he has spoken to her. I keep telling him to go back as I dont want him to ever regret not going. I think he is still trying to get his head around things and prepare himself incase she takes a turn for the worse.

I also think he feels he need to help wrap things up here first i.e. pack up I am still quite limited as to what I can do physically after the car accident in April:curse: as we cant afford for him and our daughter to go home and come back here then go home a few weeks later.
But I am working on him bit by bit about going sooner rather than later I dont want to put too much pressure on him.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Tillysmum... slightly off on a tangent but are you manx? We lived in Douglas for 12 years and both my kids are Manx born (at the Jane Crookall at the old Nobles hosp in town). I love the IOM and wish to god I'd never left, in two minds whether to return or stick to plan and go to Norfolk?.. anyway glad to hear of your positive news, like the other poster mentioned are there any BE's nearby that can help??? keep us posted
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

hotel44 is a jewel in the roughhotel44 is a jewel in the roughhotel44 is a jewel in the roughhotel44 is a jewel in the roughhotel44 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kizbut1
Where in QLD are you? Are any of us near enough to give you a hand with things while he goes to see his mum? I'm a dab hand at packing and making tea, if you are close enough of course!
I second that- more than happy to help out and have a natter, just say the word.

xx
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kizbut1;6435816] I'm a dab hand at packing and making tea,
Jo

I'm a dab hand at drinking it if that's any help.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are we still talking tea? If not I want to change my job description

I'm a dab hand at drinking it if that's any help. [/QUOTE]
Old Jun 5th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks folks isnt it nice to know that strangers will come to your aid if needed kind of restores your faith in man/womankind

Nicks mum is making steady progress and has spoken to her again tonight and she sounds brighter.

Plans are under way to return home permanently still cant decide which shipper to use going home two have similar price and service and say they have containers leaving in the next week or two! (dont they all). packing is about a third done maybe even a little more and hope to get most of it done this weekend.

Nick was born in the I.O.M. but has never lived there but can if he wants, which might be an option when we are poor pensioners as they have better tax allowances. His mum and 3 brothers have all moved over there, his mum is manx born and bred they all live not too far from Douglas.

We are going to book flights this week but depending on his mum's condition as to when we will go. Ideally mid August as our lease is up end of August and we have to give a terms notice to school it will give us the chance to be able to finance the return ourselves rather than drain the savings. However if his mum gets worse Nick and daughter will go back and I will stay here to finish stuff off.

Then there is of course the dog to sort out, she had her rabies jab 3 weeks ago and bloods are taken this coming thurs then its 6 months before she can go which will be mid december. However I have spoken to dog carriers and they say if we go in August she will only have to do the remaider of the 6 months in quarantine in Uk (about 4 months) it will really hurt us to put her into quarantine but not a lot we can do. there is a quarantine station not too far from home (40miles) and we could visit her once a week.

So many decisions to make our heads are spinning at the moment. But its nice to know people care and the offer of help gives you that lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside (no its not the drink honeslty )
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks folks isnt it nice to know that strangers will come to your aid if needed kind of restores your faith in man/womankind

Nicks mum is making steady progress and has spoken to her again tonight and she sounds brighter.

Plans are under way to return home permanently still cant decide which shipper to use going home two have similar price and service and say they have containers leaving in the next week or two! (dont they all). packing is about a third done maybe even a little more and hope to get most of it done this weekend.

Nick was born in the I.O.M. but has never lived there but can if he wants, which might be an option when we are poor pensioners as they have better tax allowances. His mum and 3 brothers have all moved over there, his mum is manx born and bred they all live not too far from Douglas.

We are going to book flights this week but depending on his mum's condition as to when we will go. Ideally mid August as our lease is up end of August and we have to give a terms notice to school it will give us the chance to be able to finance the return ourselves rather than drain the savings. However if his mum gets worse Nick and daughter will go back and I will stay here to finish stuff off.

Then there is of course the dog to sort out, she had her rabies jab 3 weeks ago and bloods are taken this coming thurs then its 6 months before she can go which will be mid december. However I have spoken to dog carriers and they say if we go in August she will only have to do the remaider of the 6 months in quarantine in Uk (about 4 months) it will really hurt us to put her into quarantine but not a lot we can do. there is a quarantine station not too far from home (40miles) and we could visit her once a week.

So many decisions to make our heads are spinning at the moment. But its nice to know people care and the offer of help gives you that lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside (no its not the drink honeslty )
you seem pretty organised there, hope MIL carries on improving and the pressure is taken off you a little. let us know how you get on.