British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Manchester Question/s (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/manchester-question-s-929184/)

Brigette Nov 11th 2019 1:30 pm

Manchester Question/s

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I posted. Been so busy getting things in order for my move. Quick question. Can someone tell me about Old Trafford/Stretford Area? I made a deposit with a letting agency for a place to rent and on google maps the area looks ok (not really sure) but just want to get feedback from those who know the area well. I can be a bit more specific if needed regarding location. What I've read on google is that the area is "up and coming". Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Not sure if it means currently dodgy but getting better (gentrified) etc. My move date is the end of November (finally).

Thanks,
Brigette

GeniB Nov 12th 2019 12:19 pm

Re: Manchester Question/s

Hi Brigette It really does depend where in that area you have chosen ...It is an old area of Manchester....and it does contain the very famous Manchester United Football ground in the Trafford area..a place to AVOID if you ever want to get anywhere at weekends ( or even midweek) when they are playing. A lot of Stretford contains old redbrick terrace houses..or even larger redbrick mansions..some gone to seed..some done up into flats etc..In other words a mixed bag..
I used to work in Stretford close to the Lancashire county cricket ground...that part was mainly office blocks and small business's...
I can imagine that it would be 'up and coming' as its a 10 minute bus ride into the centre of the city...
It isn't a large area ,but I'm guessing... where..is going to be crucial... Can you go online and google Manchester areas to live....or something like that

Try Comparemymove.com/Manchester UK

I loved Manchester ( my home city) lots to do and see...and an hour from glorious countryside like the Moors, the Lake District...The Dales Good Luck

ianandhelena Nov 13th 2019 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 12762152)
Can someone tell me about Old Trafford/Stretford Area?

Try mumsnet, there's a search function e.g. this thread: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/local/2...tford-HELP-PLS

Brigette Nov 13th 2019 3:20 pm

Hi GeniB,

Thanks for the response. Will take a look

Brigette Nov 13th 2019 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by ianandhelena (Post 12763143)
Try mumsnet, there's a search function e.g. this thread: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/local/2...tford-HELP-PLS

Thanks so much for the link

Brigette Nov 13th 2019 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12762680)
Hi Brigette It really does depend where in that area you have chosen ...It is an old area of Manchester....and it does contain the very famous Manchester United Football ground in the Trafford area..a place to AVOID if you ever want to get anywhere at weekends ( or even midweek) when they are playing. A lot of Stretford contains old redbrick terrace houses..or even larger redbrick mansions..some gone to seed..some done up into flats etc..In other words a mixed bag..
I used to work in Stretford close to the Lancashire county cricket ground...that part was mainly office blocks and small business's...
I can imagine that it would be 'up and coming' as its a 10 minute bus ride into the centre of the city...
It isn't a large area ,but I'm guessing... where..is going to be crucial... Can you go online and google Manchester areas to live....or something like that

Try Comparemymove.com/Manchester UK

I loved Manchester ( my home city) lots to do and see...and an hour from glorious countryside like the Moors, the Lake District...The Dales Good Luck

Hi,

Ive sent you a message with a little bit more detail. Hopefully you'll be able to recognize the area.

Thanks in advance,
Brigette

Britishbitz Nov 15th 2019 8:12 am

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I posted. Been so busy getting things in order for my move. Quick question. Can someone tell me about Old Trafford/Stretford Area? I made a deposit with a letting agency for a place to rent and on google maps the area looks ok (not really sure) but just want to get feedback from those who know the area well. I can be a bit more specific if needed regarding location. What I've read on google is that the area is "up and coming". Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Not sure if it means currently dodgy but getting better (gentrified) etc. My move date is the end of November (finally).

Thanks,
Brigette

Sorry to butt in, but are you still in the U.S? I was just curious how you went about putting a deposit on a place from overseas? Everything I have read to date, says it's hard to secure a rental until in the U.K that you may have to pay a few months on advance due to no credit history(no issue). We are going over in Jan so just curious if there is possibly another way?

brits1 Nov 17th 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Brigette

Hi..

Not an area I would choose to live but your renting which is a good idea as you can have a good look around Manchester and the greater Manchester area and see what suits you and your lifestyle...I am originally from Manchester and know the city and surrounding areas areas very well, at the moment I currently live in the peak district but lI knowots of people who really enjoy living in and around Manchester...I would just take your time and get to know the areas before you choose to buy (if that is what your plans are) good luck with everything

Brigette Dec 11th 2019 8:24 pm

UPDATE:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I moved 14 days ago and everything worked out well. Admin I know I’m not supposed to discuss in this forum so I will leave it at that for now and make another post in the correct forum

Brigette

Brigette Dec 11th 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12765103)
Hi..

Not an area I would choose to live but your renting which is a good idea as you can have a good look around Manchester and the greater Manchester area and see what suits you and your lifestyle...I am originally from Manchester and know the city and surrounding areas areas very well, at the moment I currently live in the peak district but lI knowots of people who really enjoy living in and around Manchester...I would just take your time and get to know the areas before you choose to buy (if that is what your plans are) good luck with everything

so sorry I missed your reply. Was so busy with last minute details about moving. I agree with your assessment and I’ve only been here 2 weeks. The building is secure, bus line across the street and tram a few blocks away. Great way for me to get to know the different postal codes and area. Definitely not a place to buy a home but ok for renting right now. Thanks so much for the info.

Brigette

GeniB Dec 18th 2019 5:43 am

Glad you made it Brigette and that you have landed in a reasonable spot.. There is nothing like actually being there though. Everyones experience of an area will be different ..Then there is convenience, affordability etc. I'm sure you will find your feet very quickly Finding where you really want to live might take a little more time, but I'm sure you'll get there. Wishing you a great stay in my city