Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Mamma Mia made me so homesick!

Wikiposts

Mamma Mia made me so homesick!

Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default Mamma Mia made me so homesick!

Why?

1. Had to go and see it on my own when my little ones were in daycare. In the UK, I would have gone to see it with my close group of friends!

2. Meryl Streep has 2 old friends arrive who instantly have that old connection and have a blast together.

3. Only one in the pics laughing at a the scene with Julie Walters trying to stabalise herself in the boat & many other points in the movie. Its very British.

4.Glimpses of London at start of movie, made my stomach noticably lurch. I don't even like big cities!

5. Just seeing the Greek Island, made me long for my many holidays in Cyprus.

Dammed enjoyable though!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mamma Mia made me so homesick!

Yes, wasn't Mama Mia fabulous? A real feel-good movie. Those opening scenes in London got me going too

Try going to see 'The Bank Job' and 'How about you?' for another dose of homesickness (yes I know the latter was set in Ireland).

G.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree Karen. Did make me homesick but I did see it with friends. Other people in cinema did laugh but didn't sing. Must be a Brit thing to make a pranny of yourself in public

Found out that Meryl Streep is 59 and the fab Ms Walters 58

Hope I'm that energetic when I get to that age
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Why?

1. Had to go and see it on my own when my little ones were in daycare. In the UK, I would have gone to see it with my close group of friends!

2. Meryl Streep has 2 old friends arrive who instantly have that old connection and have a blast together.

3. Only one in the pics laughing at a the scene with Julie Walters trying to stabalise herself in the boat & many other points in the movie. Its very British.

4.Glimpses of London at start of movie, made my stomach noticably lurch. I don't even like big cities!

5. Just seeing the Greek Island, made me long for my many holidays in Cyprus.

Dammed enjoyable though!
I went to see Sex in the City on my own. But i didn't care, great movie. I saw Mamma Mia other week with friends, great movie too. Yes i felt homesick while watching it
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crystal23
I agree Karen. Did make me homesick but I did see it with friends. Other people in cinema did laugh but didn't sing. Must be a Brit thing to make a pranny of yourself in public

Found out that Meryl Streep is 59 and the fab Ms Walters 58

Hope I'm that energetic when I get to that age
Too right, Meryl Streep looked fab and Julie Walters well, she was just being Julie Walters at her best.

Now Pierce Brosnan! Raaaahhh! I must be getting old. Hairy chests are really doing it for me!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Too right, Meryl Streep looked fab and Julie Walters well, she was just being Julie Walters at her best.

Now Pierce Brosnan! Raaaahhh! I must be getting old. Hairy chests are really doing it for me!!!!
Hiya Karen,

If you ever fancy a movie meet give me a shout, i have kids at daycare and feel like a loner half the time...Know what you mean about missing home, i have been here coming on 3 years and i still miss home...

Suzanne
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I went to see Mama Mia with a group of good friends and had a ball,yes i sang and laughed lots .Didnt feel homesick,just nostalgic for old friends,it made me want to phone them up when i got home.
donna
excellant movie
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I must be the only one who hated it?

I do get very homesick though while watching things like Love Actually and Bend it like Beckham. Even the movies showing the more unpleasant side of English life such as This is England make me homesick LOL!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I went to see it, and expected to hate it, but I really enjoyed it! Which is unusual for me, as I don't like dancy/singy-type movies (I usually avoid them like the plague). I don't like any type of movie that appears to be a chick-flick, but this was a lovely movie. Everyone I know has seen the musical but me, so I will have to go see it now!

Homesick - yes, a bit, especially when I heard the Scottish girl talking.

As an added bonus though, Colin Firth, can't get better than him
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Well, I went to see it, and expected to hate it, but I really enjoyed it! Which is unusual for me, as I don't like dancy/singy-type movies (I usually avoid them like the plague). I don't like any type of movie that appears to be a chick-flick, but this was a lovely movie. Everyone I know has seen the musical but me, so I will have to go see it now!

Homesick - yes, a bit, especially when I heard the Scottish girl talking.

As an added bonus though, Colin Firth, can't get better than him

If you like perving Colin Firth , go & see 'And when did you last see your father?'. Colin proves in this movie that not only does he look totally gorgeous, but he can actually act as well!

It's filmed in London & Derbyshire, so great for a lovely bittersweet dose of homesickness for the UK as well

G.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grevillia
If you like perving Colin Firth , go & see 'And when did you last see your father?'. Colin proves in this movie that not only does he look totally gorgeous, but he can actually act as well!

It's filmed in London & Derbyshire, so great for a lovely bittersweet dose of homesickness for the UK as well

G.
Thanks for the tip.............

Well, I just looked at the trailer for the film and I'm not sure that I can go see it. In a few days it will be a year since my father past away, so it would be hard for me to watch. But, it may be a good film for me to watch in the future. Thanks for the recommendation, though

Last edited by Marmalade; Aug 16th 2008 at 10:37 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for all the tips on UK movies to watch. I wait till they come out on DVD and then buy them so I am making a list of all those you recommend.
Something for me to do in the bleak NH winter
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by grevillia
Yes, wasn't Mama Mia fabulous? A real feel-good movie. Those opening scenes in London got me going too

Try going to see 'The Bank Job' and 'How about you?' for another dose of homesickness (yes I know the latter was set in Ireland).

G.
went to see The Bank Job. also Mama Mia with my two daughters we all loved it...both great movies could watch them again.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:40 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
I must be the only one who hated it?

I do get very homesick though while watching things like Love Actually and Bend it like Beckham. Even the movies showing the more unpleasant side of English life such as This is England make me homesick LOL!
the airport bit in love actually makes me soo homesick
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
the airport bit in love actually makes me soo homesick
Me too! I'm not a bigger sobber at movies, but this bit had me in floods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.