Making new friends in UK

Old Feb 22nd 2022, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making new friends in UK

Originally Posted by mica painter
After spending the first few months on the Isle of Wight we quickly realised it's quite conservative like you said. Plus the cost of living there was so high, but glad we tested it out first. We ended up in Lincolnshire near Grantham as it's only an hour to London by train and the cost of rentals is about half that of the south. But living in rural areas is difficult to find liberal people. I'm hoping we'll meet the folk who commute to London and maybe venture to the neighbouring towns and cities where it's more diverse. We wanted to avoid the west mainly because of the wet weather that my Italian husband would hate!
I agree that it's a shame we've become so divided and maybe Brexit has played a part. A lot of us hardly talk to our families because of the way they voted.
Although the West does see plenty of rain, it's not always the case. I lived in Kent and when you look at Dover and surroundings, it can be wetter than the Isle of Man if you don't focus on Snaefell. Because you have more mountains it rains more but in reality not everyone lives up the mountains. It really varies and I'm even further West in Ireland and I've rarely seen drizzle and it's more like heavy rain and clears up again. We do get fewer sunshine hours, although I must admit that I don't really notice it and no data exists. In return there's a lot more brightness in the evenings and it just got dark 20 mins ago. Nowhere is perfect and I think more wind is noticeable here:-). But when you have nice people around you, life is always easier even when it rains.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 22nd 2022 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

mica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the roughmica painter is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Grantham? Birthplace of the she devil (Just joking, but I despise what Thatcher did to the country and the culture.)

We will need to be a bit further south initially, since I will need to be within striking distance of London for a 1 - 2 times a week trip in, and so on a good rail connection too (plus I will have to go to other places as well, and would prefer train over car when possible.) Been looking at Ipswich and Colchester, but the rental situation seems dire.
Yeah I know, I always say we live in Lincolnshire now but it's also the birthplace of Isaac Newton. They're erecting a statue of her apparently, I'll be taking the dogs to their new toilet when it arrives
I moved here because of it's great rail links to London, as I need to visit often, it's only an hour to Kings Cross. Plus rents are way more affordable here. I grew up in Norfolk and the trains through East Anglia nearly always have rail replacement buses at weekends. I'm trying my hardest to coax you here
It's so hard to decide where to move back to though, we got lucky finding our house especially as we have 2 dogs and a cat. But there are properties out there. I made a pet cv which swayed the landlord.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 8:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know, I always say we live in Lincolnshire now but it's also the birthplace of Isaac Newton. They're erecting a statue of her apparently, I'll be taking the dogs to their new toilet when it arrives
I moved here because of it's great rail links to London, as I need to visit often, it's only an hour to Kings Cross. Plus rents are way more affordable here. I grew up in Norfolk and the trains through East Anglia nearly always have rail replacement buses at weekends. I'm trying my hardest to coax you here
It's so hard to decide where to move back to though, we got lucky finding our house especially as we have 2 dogs and a cat. But there are properties out there. I made a pet cv which swayed the landlord.

I had no idea it was that quick. Not only that, the ticket is cheaper by a way that equivalent distances in the south east and south west. I like the look of Lincoln, but too far away and not on the main line.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 12:14 am
Just Joined

GFCaos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. I've been back in the UK for a few months now and so happy with our decision. I'm keen to make new friends and build our new life, we're living in a completely new area to where we've lived before and have no contacts here. Just wanted some ideas on how people made new connections when they moved back?
We've signed up to volunteer at a community farm and I've searched facebook for groups but all there are are buy and sell groups here. Thinking of finding some dog walking groups but really stuck for ideas to meet people similar in age and liberal mindset here. Lots of walking groups but the ages tend to be much older, we're in our 40's and 50's. Tried meetup.com but again not much in the area we are in. Seems harder to find friends when you get to this age as most people have families and meet up over their kids, but we are childfree. Any ideas welcome or if you are struggling too! Thanks.
Apologies! I've been a lurker for ages on this site - and have really loved reading the great info you all share. I have to belatedly say, I'm really interested to hear your progress with this. Myself and my hubby are also moving back to the UK from west coast Canada in the next few weeks, and we're both in our late 50's and childfree, same as you. So, although lucky enough to still have some UK friends, I do wonder about how to make inroads with making fresh connections. Book clubs have been popular here (although yet again, I've not been a joiner :-), and my hubby's wondering about potentially finding a photography group - so it'll be interesting to see if that helps or not. But, just wanted to wish you best of luck with your efforts - and I do hope you update us at some point. Thank you for posting this btw - I really appreciate it.

Old Mar 3rd 2022, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know if this is your “thing” but what about joining a local environmental group? Cleanups (rivers and litter collection in general). If you’re an animal lover, maybe some volunteering at your local shelter? Adult literacy volunteer?

Work is usually a good way to meet people. I know you said you’re self-employed but could you get a part-time job as well, even just one day a week?

We’re also in our 50s and childless, incidentally, so you’re not alone. I’m also not a natural “joiner” but I reckon that’s what I’ll have to do at least for the first year or so if/when we move to a new area. Anyway, it might be quite exciting to do something that goes totally against the grain.

In fairness to Stamford, Lincs. I made zero effort when I lived there so really didn’t give it a chance. I’ve been much more proactive here in Strasbourg and it’s paid dividends.
Old Apr 15th 2022, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

I was very isolated from social connections for many years, to the point of severe depression. Just another grey old man, unseen by society.
I broke out of it by joining an exercise class where I just joined in the exercise activity. Gradually I was seen and greeted as a regular. No friends from it but at least a social integration.
Then I stared attending a charitable organisation for ex military, not that I needed charity but its a place I can drop in for coffee etc and a bit of a easy chat with people in similar socially excluded circumstances. Again, no close friends but a lot of friendly people that know me and care about my welfare.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
I think it is fair to say that when people travel extensively or move abroad, they become more open, cosmopolitan, and broad minded. In other words, you move on. When you move back to the UK, you are entering a land where most people live in a World of beer, football, Coronation Street, Emmerdale, and Strictly Come Dancing. If these subjects are not your thing, then you are limited. Of course, many Brits travel but for most it is getting as far as the swim-up bars in the Costas or Irish pubs in Cyprus. The only way out is to do as Pulaski says and look for special interest groups that you feel you are compatible with. Either that or emigrate again as many do.
wow that is a very sweeping stereotypical picture you have painted , I have travelled extensively both home and abroad most people I know have visited places even I would like to visit lol
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:32 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I was very isolated from social connections for many years, to the point of severe depression. Just another grey old man, unseen by society.
I broke out of it by joining an exercise class where I just joined in the exercise activity. Gradually I was seen and greeted as a regular. No friends from it but at least a social integration.
Then I stared attending a charitable organisation for ex military, not that I needed charity but its a place I can drop in for coffee etc and a bit of a easy chat with people in similar socially excluded circumstances. Again, no close friends but a lot of friendly people that know me and care about my welfare.

Well done for not giving up and making the effort. Close friendships can really only form over time, so it's important to get started as you have, and ovsrcome the isolation.
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by GFCaos
Apologies! I've been a lurker for ages on this site - and have really loved reading the great info you all share. I have to belatedly say, I'm really interested to hear your progress with this. Myself and my hubby are also moving back to the UK from west coast Canada in the next few weeks, and we're both in our late 50's and childfree, same as you. So, although lucky enough to still have some UK friends, I do wonder about how to make inroads with making fresh connections. Book clubs have been popular here (although yet again, I've not been a joiner :-), and my hubby's wondering about potentially finding a photography group - so it'll be interesting to see if that helps or not. But, just wanted to wish you best of luck with your efforts - and I do hope you update us at some point. Thank you for posting this btw - I really appreciate it.
We are moving in the next few weeks also. Also not a joiner, but work will get me started on the human interaction front.