This makes me mad!!....

Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Angry This makes me mad!!....

I don't often feel the need to come on BE and rant about something.....however, I have just come across a media columnist in a local Sunday paper who has made my blood boil.
I couldn't find an online link to the article, but the gist of it is, that this self satisfied Generation Y women was paying a big compliment to the talents of the British TV industry, stating that the Old Dart makes some extremely good television compared to Australia.
So what's so bad about that I hear you ask? That's good isn't it, that an Aussie has acknowledged that there is something that UK does better than OZ?

Hmmm.......not before she first slagged off Britain's poor weather, surly people, and (wait for it) horrendous food!!! She then went on to state, how could a country have such a high crime rate with no guns involved. And how on earth do British people have functioning digestive systems after all the horrendous food they've eaten over the years!!!:curse:
This coming from a person whose country would still be eating nothing but meat pies and barbecue snags if it weren't for mass emigration.

The point I am making is , why do some Australians have to slag off the UK before they can bear to pay us a compliment. It is childish, pathetic and above all reeks of still having a huge colonial chip on their shoulder!!

Grow up Australia
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:42 am
Just Joined

sometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant futuresometimes has a brilliant future
Default Re: This makes me mad!!....

you are having a laugh aren't you,every UK person slags of australia with no compliment,least the Australians give us a compliment.
Every country around the world has good and bad things and you just have to decide what is best for you.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:53 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
I don't often feel the need to come on BE and rant about something.....however, I have just come across a media columnist in a local Sunday paper who has made my blood boil.
I couldn't find an online link to the article, but the gist of it is, that this self satisfied Generation Y women was paying a big compliment to the talents of the British TV industry, stating that the Old Dart makes some extremely good television compared to Australia.
So what's so bad about that I hear you ask? That's good isn't it, that an Aussie has acknowledged that there is something that UK does better than OZ?

Hmmm.......not before she first slagged off Britain's poor weather, surly people, and (wait for it) horrendous food!!! She then went on to state, how could a country have such a high crime rate with no guns involved. And how on earth do British people have functioning digestive systems after all the horrendous food they've eaten over the years!!!:curse:
This coming from a person whose country would still be eating nothing but meat pies and barbecue snags if it weren't for mass emigration.

The point I am making is , why do some Australians have to slag off the UK before they can bear to pay us a compliment. It is childish, pathetic and above all reeks of still having a huge colonial chip on their shoulder!!

Grow up Australia

Never heard of the saying 'blowing someone else's candle out so their's could shine brighter'?
It's all in the name of publicity of course.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sometimes
you are having a laugh aren't you,every UK person slags of australia with no compliment,least the Australians give us a compliment.
Every country around the world has good and bad things and you just have to decide what is best for you.
I suspect a good percentage of Great Britain are most likely to be indifferent to Australia, and would have no interest whatsoever in either slagging it off or complimenting it.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:30 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Grow up Australia
This is one of the top 5 of my reasons fornot liking Aus.
I have always said that Australia reminds me of the socially inept moody teenager.
They love to brag and boast, belittle everyone else, when in fact most of the time the are talking from their backsides. And as soon as you toss a few bullets back a tantrum ensues
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
This is one of the top 5 of my reasons fornot liking Aus.
I have always said that Australia reminds me of the socially inept moody teenager.
They love to brag and boast, belittle everyone else, when in fact most of the time the are talking from their backsides. And as soon as you toss a few bullets back a tantrum ensues
Yes, I agree totally Flea, just look at the reaction from them when Britain won more gold medals than Australia in the last Olympics - but then of course, it was a total fluke and we did only excel at sports that required sitting on ones terribly British backside

I also agree with the OP who said that most of the time the UK could not care enough about Australia as to whether it gets a compliment or an insult.
I don't even know whether this particular journalist has even been to the UK but if she hasn't then she should keep her ill informed opinions to herself and if she is planning to go, I hope it lives up to her unpleasant expectations
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

If so many Brits slag off Australia with no compliment, how come there are so many supposedly happy Brits living here? They can't all be in denial surely.
I have lived here long enough to know that a lot of Australians rarely have a compliment for Britain, unless they have British parents or family.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Grow up Australia
Ask Jeremy Clarkson what he thinks of Australia. He loves the place!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

While living in UK the only country I ever heard people slag off was the UK. No one seemed to have anything much to say about anywhere else. Unless it was I want to move somewhere hotter/dryer.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Never heard of the saying 'blowing someone else's candle out so their's could shine brighter'?
I wish I'd heard that before now. I'd have used it many times on my mum.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Ask Jeremy Clarkson what he thinks of Australia. He loves the place!
Yes, I believe he does lol:
I would personally like to invite him to write a piece for our local Sunday rag!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:49 am
Banned

Sherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really niceSherpa is just really nice

i hear thier bringing back green shield stamps now thats a talking point !!!!!!