British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Major current problems in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/major-current-problems-uk-725102/)

Mummy in the foothills Jul 19th 2011 2:54 pm

Re: Major current problems in the UK?

Originally Posted by nun (Post 9504605)
Worst thing about the UK is the police. The corruption in the Met goes right to the top and the way peaful protestors are arrested and harassed strikes at democracy. I thought having a "Ministry of Justice" sounded Orwellian, but recent events and all the CCTV I'm the UK convince me that the UK is closer to 1984 than ever.

The justice system is a way of keeping the poor folk in their place and it always has been, it's always favored the rich and privileged, why would it be any different now.

OK changed my siggie so you can see where I am/have been.

Giantaxe Jul 19th 2011 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 9504605)
Worst thing about the UK is the police. The corruption in the Met goes right to the top and the way peaful protestors are arrested and harassed strikes at democracy. I thought having a "Ministry of Justice" sounded Orwellian, but recent events and all the CCTV I'm the UK convince me that the UK is closer to 1984 than ever.

This is my biggest gripe with the UK too... the police coupled with the erosion of civil liberties over the last quarter of a century. I read somewhere that the UK has more CCTV cameras in public places than the rest of the world combined. Wtf? Lots of other examples too, like the cavalier removal of the absolute right to remain silent, the taking of DNA samples of anyone arrested (as opposed to convicted) etc.

brits1 Jul 19th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 9499545)
I'm not in favor of lots of referendums, I prefer a parliamentary democracy
As a way to make decisions......but I want better politicians.

Parliamentary Democracy...does that really happen...to me as soon as a politicain (most of them anyway) go through those grand gates of parliament they seem to forget about being there by grace of the public and do mainly their own thing....better politicians are not going to happen until they answer to the public who voted them in to parliament.

brits1 Jul 19th 2011 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9504795)
This is my biggest gripe with the UK too... the police coupled with the erosion of civil liberties over the last quarter of a century. I read somewhere that the UK has more CCTV cameras in public places than the rest of the world combined. Wtf? Lots of other examples too, like the cavalier removal of the absolute right to remain silent, the taking of DNA samples of anyone arrested (as opposed to convicted) etc.

Oh please....if there is a country out there that has the perfect system of keeping people safe and with liberties then I am the first one to buy my ticket...we have been and lived in a few countries in our time and each one have different ways in dealing with crime etc...I have never found one to be "truly fair" and would not protest to live in a country where it is....in this day an age (if ever) the law is one unto itself.

NatalieLucy Jul 19th 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by bigmattE (Post 9504753)
So true. I have had tons of people comment on us moving back home. Like they have this really fabricated view of America. It must be like you see in the movies or on TV show's. Yet 99% of them have never been to America let alone actually lived there to see the true side of the country. It is a horrible country with no culture nor class. Oh I met some wonderful people there, My wife is American, but damn it is one horrible mess of a place. Not to mention they are super proud of being able to buy machine gun's lol.

I thought my family & friends would be overjoyed that we were looking at coming back. The first thing I got was "you've got it all out there why would you want to come back" I agree they see what life in America is like through TV and it's all good. In reality it's a different story. I hate the fact that people can just buy guns out here. And they wonder why there are so many drive by's and high school shootings.

Beedubya Jul 19th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by NatalieLucy (Post 9505355)
I thought my family & friends would be overjoyed that we were looking at coming back. The first thing I got was "you've got it all out there why would you want to come back" I agree they see what life in America is like through TV and it's all good. In reality it's a different story. I hate the fact that people can just buy guns out here. And they wonder why there are so many drive by's and high school shootings.

Lots of Brits think Ameerika is all Rodeo Drive and Doris Day movies, just like they think Australia is all kangaroos and BBQ's on the beach, TV and the movies have a lot to answer for. :sneaky:

You will also find most of these people will have not been further than a fortnight in Benidorm once a year, never mind actually live in another country.................:ohmy:

brl2k Jul 19th 2011 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9504795)

I have recently been to South Korea and I can tell you that South Korea has CCTV cameras everywhere. They may not have as many as the UK, but in terms of area that they cover, South Korea has more.

Giantaxe Jul 19th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by brl2k (Post 9505470)
I have recently been to South Korea and I can tell you that South Korea has CCTV cameras everywhere. They may not have as many as the UK, but in terms of area that they cover, South Korea has more.

Some cool graphics and stats on UK CCTV cameras:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8159141.stm

chris955 Jul 20th 2011 8:13 am

OMG, anyone complaining about the UK Police has obviously never been to Australia. I have never had a really bad experience with cops in England, they just seem more relaxed and friendly.

chris955 Jul 20th 2011 8:14 am

I've never really understood the whole CCTV thing, I don't care who watches me walk down the street, why do people have such an issue with it ?

nun Jul 20th 2011 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 9505162)
Oh please....if there is a country out there that has the perfect system of keeping people safe and with liberties then I am the first one to buy my ticket...we have been and lived in a few countries in our time and each one have different ways in dealing with crime etc...I have never found one to be "truly fair" and would not protest to live in a country where it is....in this day an age (if ever) the law is one unto itself.

I'm not camparing UK policing with another country. I'm saying that the growth of CCTV and the arrogance of the police has diminished liberty and democracy in the UK. My opinion of the UK police at all levels has become far more skeptical since the implementation of a surveillance culture and the suppression of peaceful dissent

sallysimmons Jul 20th 2011 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 9506777)
I'm not camparing UK policing with another country. I'm saying that the growth of CCTV and the arrogance of the police has diminished liberty and democracy in the UK. My opinion of the UK police at all levels has become far more skeptical since the implementation of a surveillance culture and the suppression of peaceful dissent

Are they really suppressing peaceful dissent? I see a lot of protest marches in England so if they are trying to stifle people, it's not working.

We found the cops we saw on our last visit back to be very friendly and helpful with directions. At least they don't carry guns. It terrifies me when I pass cops in the street here, their guns right there for anyone to see. Not to mention walking into Grand Central station and seeing army guys with massive automatic weapons and dogs. Yikes!

Giantaxe Jul 20th 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9506807)
Are they really suppressing peaceful dissent? I see a lot of protest marches in England so if they are trying to stifle people, it's not working.

It's really not that black and white:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ap...rotest-liberty

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9506807)
We found the cops we saw on our last visit back to be very friendly and helpful with directions. At least they don't carry guns. It terrifies me when I pass cops in the street here, their guns right there for anyone to see. Not to mention walking into Grand Central station and seeing army guys with massive automatic weapons and dogs. Yikes!

I've found individual cops very friendly too. I'm more worried about the culture of the police, particularly institutionally. I think a lot of shit is going to come out of the woodwork about the Met police's collusion (and bribe taking) with the tabloids - hardly a good sign. Plenty of automatic weapons at Heathrow btw.

sallysimmons Jul 20th 2011 3:20 pm

Maybe I'm too much of a cynic but I always assume that the police are crooked everywhere in the world (and always have been). Since power always corrupts, it's really just a matter of degree. I do agree it's disturbing - I'm just surprised that so many people are surprised by the latest revelations. And that so many people view police corruption as a new development rather than an inevitable result of human nature.

tonrob Jul 20th 2011 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 9504551)
Lothianlad should disclose at the top of every post that he's an idiot.

Has he been promoted? I must have missed the announcement.