Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

made it home - and it feels great!

made it home - and it feels great!

Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

atkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of light
Default made it home - and it feels great!

Hi to everyone out there.
Well we left Adelaide on the 24 feb. We all felt alittle sad. The kids and myself were feeling really down.
But do you know what now we are home and I mean home it feels right.
My daughter is back going out again with mates, something she never did in Oz. My son has applied to go to college in september and in the process of applying for part-time jobs. Cricket still a big part of his life.
My OH has been back at work and has been offered a promotion. Great. Me well I restart work next week. I was lucky I took a career break. The dogs in quarentine and has a early realease date and looks really well.
bought a house over the internet whilst in Oz, and that's going through we should have the keys within the next couple of weeks. furniture arrives this weekend.
although i miss Oz this is right for me and my family. but NONE of us regret doing the adventure. and to anyone out there waiting to come home i hope you dont have too long to wait now.
will be popping in occassionally to keep you updated, one once a expat always a expat.
Good luck to everyone.

Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: made it home - and it feels great!

Great news...good to be home eh? All the best.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atkinsfamily
Well we left Adelaide on the 24 feb. We all felt alittle sad. The kids and myself were feeling really down.
My daughter is back going out again with mates, something she never did in Oz. My son has applied to go to college in september and in the process of applying for part-time jobs. Cricket still a big part of his life.
My OH has been back at work and has been offered a promotion. Great. Me well I restart work next week. I was lucky I took a career break. The dogs in quarentine and has a early realease date and looks really well.
bought a house over the internet whilst in Oz, and that's going through we should have the keys within the next couple of weeks. furniture arrives this weekend.
although i miss Oz this is right for me and my family. but NONE of us regret doing the adventure. and to anyone out there waiting to come home i hope you dont have too long to wait now.
will be popping in occassionally to keep you updated, one once a expat always a expat.
Good luck to everyone.

glad to hear its going good.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:36 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home - glad to hear that everything is going so well for you all
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to everyone.

Can you let me know the quarantine details. I thought they had been scrapped if your dog had been given the rabies vaccination?
V. glad to hear you are happy!

:0
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to everyone.

Where are you in the UK?

Well done on making the move back. Get ready for the summer!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:27 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic news! Yet another one happy in the UK. Crikey, with so many people returning we might even make the UK a positive thinking nation for once!!!

I hope you continue to be happy in your lives back home.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back!

I am pleased to hear that things are going so smoothly for you. How did you manage with mortgage oversea's?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

atkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
we applied for a self certified mortgage recommended on here but also got offered one from the estate agent we bought our house with. all in all great service from both and very little difference in interest rates. deffinatly worth looking at.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to hear its all working out for you.
So many posting about being back and all good.Helps to keep our spirits up.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:58 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Crikey, with so many people returning we might even make the UK a positive thinking nation for once!!!
We are trying Tracey. I've even put in a complaint to GMTV about their introduction to this weeks feature "Upsticks to Downunder". They start it by showing grey wet weather and then show sunny blue skies and lovely beaches with a comentry something like: "Would you like to swap grey damp weather for the sunny skies of Australia". They then feature families who have emmigrated. I missed this mornings episode but Monday and Tuesday they showed the usual happy smiley successful expats - they never seem to show the heartbreak stories of financial ruin, split families and depressed people who's lives have been ruined

I wrote in to tell them that it's one sided features like these that prompt so many people to leave, thinking that it's all paradise, milk and honey etc. It's about time our media looked at the positives in this country - it's just not the British way though is it?

But I'm busy telling anyone who will listen over here the truth as I see it.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:28 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
We are trying Tracey. I've even put in a complaint to GMTV about their introduction to this weeks feature "Upsticks to Downunder". They start it by showing grey wet weather and then show sunny blue skies and lovely beaches with a comentry something like: "Would you like to swap grey damp weather for the sunny skies of Australia". They then feature families who have emmigrated. I missed this mornings episode but Monday and Tuesday they showed the usual happy smiley successful expats - they never seem to show the heartbreak stories of financial ruin, split families and depressed people who's lives have been ruined

I wrote in to tell them that it's one sided features like these that prompt so many people to leave, thinking that it's all paradise, milk and honey etc. It's about time our media looked at the positives in this country - it's just not the British way though is it?

But I'm busy telling anyone who will listen over here the truth as I see it.
Good for you Louise - I watched the one this morning on GMTV - it was from Adelaide -some dozy mare extolling the virtues of the beach, sunshine etc etc, then she had the cheek to say 'why would anyone want to live in Britain when they could come here and live in Adelaide' (while gleefully sweeping her hand across to the usual beach scene of surfers etc etc) - well I could think of quite a few reasons, in fact if we posted her question on this forum I daresay she would get quite a few replies!!!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 8:48 pm
Banned

ozforever100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
So glad to hear its all working out for you.
So many posting about being back and all good.Helps to keep our spirits up.
Dreamaway 10, I have been following your posts closely as I too am considering emigrating to OZ. I must say though my case is entirely different to your own. I have visited OZ on many occasions for holidays and during business trips and the country just keeps growing on me, as do the people.

I am intrigued with your case, it seems that you did no preparation before deciding to move to OZ. How long did you visit the country for before deciding to emigrate? From your posts it appears to have been only a couple of weeks? The point I am trying to make is, would you decide to buy a house anywhere in the UK after only one viewing and move your kids in without checking out the local area, community and schools several times? So why on earth did you cart your whole family over to OZ on what appears to be your own wild dream of a better life?

Viewing nearly 1000 of your posts it would appear that you are a very insecure and selfish person. You haven’t even given it twelve months and although your partner doesn’t want to leave he has no choice after you threatened to leave him (perhaps he would be better of with an OZ women). Now you talk about returning to the UK to see what it is like while keeping a foot in both camps. You appear to be looking after your own interests, what about your family’s desires and needs! You must have lived in the UK all your adult life so why do you need to return to see what it’s like, or is this all about attention seeking and not having enough people around you!

I find a lot of your posts very patronising you pretend to show sympathy for others in this community when really you are crying out for your own attention and sympathy. Others on this forum seem to have stuck it out much longer than your 8 or 9 months so stop pretending to play the agony aunt and finally sort out your own life, try putting your family first before yourself! :curse:

I hope you find what it is that you are really looking for? Next time perhaps you may think twice before tiring to for full your OWN fantasies? Emigrating is not for the faint hearted.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

thunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond reputethunderbird65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozforever100
Dreamaway 10, I have been following your posts closely as I too am considering emigrating to OZ. I must say though my case is entirely different to your own. I have visited OZ on many occasions for holidays and during business trips and the country just keeps growing on me, as do the people.

I am intrigued with your case, it seems that you did no preparation before deciding to move to OZ. How long did you visit the country for before deciding to emigrate? From your posts it appears to have been only a couple of weeks? The point I am trying to make is, would you decide to buy a house anywhere in the UK after only one viewing and move your kids in without checking out the local area, community and schools several times? So why on earth did you cart your whole family over to OZ on what appears to be your own wild dream of a better life?

Viewing nearly 1000 of your posts it would appear that you are a very insecure and selfish person. You haven’t even given it twelve months and although your partner doesn’t want to leave he has no choice after you threatened to leave him (perhaps he would be better of with an OZ women). Now you talk about returning to the UK to see what it is like while keeping a foot in both camps. You appear to be looking after your own interests, what about your family’s desires and needs! You must have lived in the UK all your adult life so why do you need to return to see what it’s like, or is this all about attention seeking and not having enough people around you!

I find a lot of your posts very patronising you pretend to show sympathy for others in this community when really you are crying out for your own attention and sympathy. Others on this forum seem to have stuck it out much longer than your 8 or 9 months so stop pretending to play the agony aunt and finally sort out your own life, try putting your family first before yourself! :curse:

I hope you find what it is that you are really looking for? Next time perhaps you may think twice before tiring to for full your OWN fantasies? Emigrating is not for the faint hearted.

what are you on

most people were in your position having visited and holidayed in oz, then decide they could live there only to find it wasnt all that. What was that saying?. never criticise your neighbour till you have walked a mile in their shoes. Oz may have grown on you but lets see if you can grow up in oz when you actually live there full time not part time like now. your post is very insulting
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: made it home - and it feels great!

Originally Posted by ozforever100
Dreamaway 10, I have been following your posts closely ..............Emigrating is not for the faint hearted.
With all due respect: you do not have a CLUE what you are talking about!

No amount of visiting and research can prepare someone for the reality of the expat life. What is more, even with the most carefully research and planning, things can become unstuck for completely unforeseen reasons. I cannot comment on Dreamaway's circumstances as I do not know them, but I *do* know what I'm talking about, based on my family's experiences.

It is an often used cliche - but cliches are often based on truth - that you should not criticise someone until you have walked in their shoes.

I think you owe Dreamaway - and all those others who you have slagged off by implication - an apology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.