Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Low down on the Isle of Wight

Wikiposts

Low down on the Isle of Wight

Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:00 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low down on the Isle of Wight

for more info on BE there was an IOW thread back in 2008 ran four pages

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=isle+of+wight
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

I live in London and have owned a holiday home on IW for over 10 years. Looking to move there permanently when the other half retires. Homes are cheaper, petrol is slightly dearer but you don't drive far. I found car servicing is cheaper so tend to do that when I am there. The big shops, Co Op, Morrisons, Tesco, Lidl, M & S, B & Q etc all charge mainland prices.
Crime is lower than the mainland, in fact I know people in Seaview who don't lock their homes and leave their keys in the car so they know where they are.
There are in fact two airports, Sandown and Bembridge but no commercial flights. A few years back commercial flights to London City were tried but they were very expensive and did not last.
There have been discussions on and off about a fixed link but the locals don't want it citing an increase in crime and also access for grey squirrels. (Grey squirrels have never reached the island and the British red squirrel still thrives there).
There is one hospital, St Marys, which seems good, but if you have something really serious you will be taken to the mainland. The ferries always keep one space spare in case the ambulance turns up at the last minute.
Basically most of what you need is available. If you are doing up your house there is a large Ikea in Southampton 5 minutes from the ferry terminal.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies. OH's daughter, SIL and grandchildren have just come back from IOW again, they go over at least twice a year and posted some lovely photos on Facebook. We are now definitely researching retiring there and perhaps getting a holiday let for some extra cash. If you are prepared to buy a book of tickets as a resident, or travel before 4am and after 9pm you get some good deals plus as foot passengers seniors can go to Portsmouth/Southhampton for about 10pounds return which I don't think is bad at all! Getting quite excited that we both agree on a place and can start making plans even if we can only go in 2015 but started the ball rolling by getting an Estate Agent to come and see us tomorrow!

Last edited by feelbritish; Sep 4th 2013 at 4:25 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
for more info on BE there was an IOW thread back in 2008 ran four pages

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=isle+of+wight
Thanks for link, I spent some time yesterday reading those posts, really interesting
Old Sep 10th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Thanks for link, I spent some time yesterday reading those posts, really interesting
Yes, thanks for those posts...they were pretty enlightening. I'm late to the party but my Dad, in late 60's, active and healthy says that iow is beautiful and great for outdoorsy types. He is not retired and is thinking that iow would be a great work from home situation. Houses ate cheap and the place looks good from a retiree point of view. I'm interested more in how families settle there; schools, culture etc.
Good luck to all moving there and l hope we can meet up for a crab sandwich sometime!