Lovely Leqmington Spa

Old Mar 29th 2019, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Lovely Leqmington Spa

So it looks Leamington Spa is the location of choice for work. Anyone here from that neck of the woods? Do you have any advice on good bits, not-so-good bits, things to consider when moving there, schools etc. please? Mini is a year off secondary and the main school all seem to have good OFSTED ratings etc. Range of shops, Leamington vs Warwick vs surrounding villages for living?

- all help, thoughts, comments gratefully received! Thanks � ����
Old Mar 29th 2019, 3:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Lovely Leqmington Spa

Oh, no - I wrote out a long reply and lost it all!

You can’t go wrong with these towns, both solidly middle class although the best shopping and dining is in Leamington Spa which is a larger town. Many students attending the University of Warwick (actually located in Coventry) live in Leamington Spa in term time. I understand that it’s not quite as pleasant though around the train station vicinity.

I don’t have time to write out my original reply to you all over again....not sure what appeals to you, a quiet place, living in the countryside or somewhere with a bit of life and public transport options? Tip: go to Google.co.uk and type in “Mumsnet Forum + Leamington Spa and Warwick”. You will find lots of tips and ideas.....eg. Some posters have suggested anyone considering those towns to also look at Kenilworth and Alcester (which is closer to Stratford Upon Avon) and pronounced almost like Ulster.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lovely Leqmington Spa

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh, no - I wrote out a long reply and lost it all!

You can’t go wrong with these towns, both solidly middle class although the best shopping and dining is in Leamington Spa which is a larger town. Many students attending the University of Warwick (actually located in Coventry) live in Leamington Spa in term time. I understand that it’s not quite as pleasant though around the train station vicinity.

I don’t have time to write out my original reply to you all over again....not sure what appeals to you, a quiet place, living in the countryside or somewhere with a bit of life and public transport options? Tip: go to Google.co.uk and type in “Mumsnet Forum + Leamington Spa and Warwick”. You will find lots of tips and ideas.....eg. Some posters have suggested anyone considering those towns to also look at Kenilworth and Alcester (which is closer to Stratford Upon Avon) and pronounced almost like Ulster.
thanks you so much Englishmum , even if your original response was lost, I appreciate your reply, I lived in Leamington many years ago but up to date knowledge is much appreciated. I will check out the mumsnet forum as you suggest. We are looking for good high schools (child is 9 so a year off secondary) which Leam seems to have. Safe and not too noisy, close-ish to shops etc. I may be commuting into Birmingham so close to the station ideally. Must haves are really a large garden so central Leam is likely out!
Old Mar 30th 2019, 8:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My parents in law lived in Southam until 3 years ago. Lovely place, beautiful countryside. They had a little detached house on Bridge End, which had a garden backing onto the stream with ducks in it and willows hanging over it from all the other houses. My kids loved it there. It's a nice town,no idea what the school is like now but OH and his friends have done ok..
Just for a giggle, my mum in law had "Bridge" in her first and last name and in the street address....
Old Mar 31st 2019, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My parents in law lived in Southam until 3 years ago. Lovely place, beautiful countryside. They had a little detached house on Bridge End, which had a garden backing onto the stream with ducks in it and willows hanging over it from all the other houses. My kids loved it there. It's a nice town,no idea what the school is like now but OH and his friends have done ok..
Just for a giggle, my mum in law had "Bridge" in her first and last name and in the street address....
Thanks petitefrancaise will check out Sotham, I know Southampton Collage is supposed to be a good school, sounds lovely. I can’t compete with your ‘Bridge’ name tho!
Old Mar 31st 2019, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Southam college not Southampton!
Old Apr 1st 2019, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, Leamington Spa! I lived in the area (Warwick, Leamington and then about a mile away from Harbury) for years and years. Eleven years in all, to be precise. Warwick is a lovely town, lots to explore and of course the fantastic castle. I went to secondary school in Leamington Spa and then stayed on for a year or two before moving to Plymouth and then Exeter, and then to the states in 2005.

Anyway, gosh, what a nice area. Lots of possibilities for days out (Stratford is brilliant in a multitude of ways, for example) and lots of little peripheral towns in which to live—lots of houses with big gardens to choose from if you live out there.

Have a wonderful time settling in. I still need to show my husband and kiddos around the area, and that is something we’ll do after we move back to the U.K. this summer, no doubt. Best of luck to you! 😊
Old Apr 5th 2019, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks PrairieWriter good luck with your move too!
Old Apr 6th 2019, 8:17 am
Just Joined

tiredtony is an unknown quantity at this point

A nice big town with everything you need, and that was 20 years ago when I was last in England.
Old Apr 6th 2019, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks tiredtony
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you ship your stuff from Calgary to Leamington Spa?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elnino05
How did you ship your stuff from Calgary to Leamington Spa?
we have t moved yet. Still looking at options.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary

we have t moved yet. Still looking at options.
Ok. In the process of moving as well. Please fill me in I am looking at options too. I am not to Leamington Spa but Rugby in Warwickshire .
Old Apr 7th 2019, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck with your move Elnino05 . Rugby’s about 20 mins drive from Leamington if I remember correctly.

Options are full service move where a company packs everything, ships it then unpacks everything (most expensive), to leaving everything behind and just traveling with what you can take on a plane. You can also pack everything yourself then get a moving company to ship your belongings. Just depends on how much you have to move, whether it’s boxes and/ or furniture, and how much you (or your new employer) want to pay. If you chose to pack yourself, check what insurance coverage you have as, in my experience, moving companies will only give you insurance for damage / breakages if they pack everything. Does that help?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

We googled international movers and then asked for quotes, which we are waiting for at this time. We also had a local Calgary company recommended so are talking to them too. Most Canadian companies will partner with local uk movers when the shipment arrives in uk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.