Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Lots of people returning now?

Lots of people returning now?

Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Brit in FL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lots of people returning now?

Thanks, I shall check it out!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

People see what they want to see. Thinking of buying a Fiat? All of a sudden, Fiats everywhere! Thinking of returning to the UK? All of a sudden, dozens of posts about going back!

It's all a trick of the mind.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dunroving
People see what they want to see. Thinking of buying a Fiat? All of a sudden, Fiats everywhere! Thinking of returning to the UK? All of a sudden, dozens of posts about going back!

It's all a trick of the mind.
I know the phenomena you're referring to, but I also know it's not that.
I've been lurking on these boards for some months now as we've been thinking of returning. And honestly, there has been a fairly large spike of 'thinking of returning' posts and new posters in the past few weeks. I'm definitely seeing more posts recently than I have in the months of lurking.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:13 am
Just Joined

elaine68 is an unknown quantity at this point

These posts are great. I moved to the US 24 years ago with my parents. Married an american and have 2 sons. Now my parents are getting ready to retire back to the UK, and after 21 years of marriage, I am now filing for divorce. I love this country, but England is my home.

My mum and I have been watching this forum for many months now, and we have gained a lot of information and we have put it to use. Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:07 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yep, then after the harsh reality kicks in and they realise why they left in the 1st place their back to square one
Silly thing to say.

Plenty of people left the UK for reasons OTHER than the usual ''it's gone to the dogs'' mantra/gibberish.

Plenty of people miss the UK and return without a single regret - except perhaps having left in the first place.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mono
Silly thing to say.

Plenty of people left the UK for reasons OTHER than the usual ''it's gone to the dogs'' mantra/gibberish.

Plenty of people miss the UK and return without a single regret - except perhaps having left in the first place.
Indeed! I left to go a round the world trip....just wanted a change and an adventure, was single and free to roam. I then met my husband (stop No 1....bloody pathetic) and stayed here for 7 years instead of the planned two weeks!

I never hated the UK, in fact I had a great life and I lived in Manchester city centre which was great fun. I'd go to maazing bars and restaurants, have long weekends away, had a good (although stressful job) and had lots of friends and family around. I'm here by accident not planning and looking forward to returning home.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:17 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Indeed! I left to go a round the world trip....just wanted a change and an adventure, was single and free to roam. I then met my husband (stop No 1....bloody pathetic) and stayed here for 7 years instead of the planned two weeks!

I never hated the UK, in fact I had a great life and I lived in Manchester city centre which was great fun. I'd go to maazing bars and restaurants, have long weekends away, had a good (although stressful job) and had lots of friends and family around. I'm here by accident not planning and looking forward to returning home.
Too many posters on BE make the following mistakes:

1) People only left the UK because they weren't happy there/didn't like it/hated it.

2) People should have known EXACTLY what life in another country would be like through careful research and planning when knowing what life will actually be like in another country is impossible and planning is only possible if the move was indeed planned.

3) Everyone who is unhappy in their new country and wants to go home tries to make ''excuses'' for having ''failed'' at their ''dream''. Massive assumptions, generalisations and condescending preaching abounds.

4) If you don't like it, you should just quit moaning and leave. Because every adult has that much unadulterated freedom, of course.

5) Liking living in another country is a sort of 'triumph' to feel smug about; missing the UK is a sort of 'failing' to feel shameful about.

Fools.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

SuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to all

Too many posters on BE make the following mistakes:

1) People only left the UK because they weren't happy there/didn't like it/hated it.

2) People should have known EXACTLY what life in another country would be like through careful research and planning when knowing what life will actually be like in another country is impossible and planning is only possible if the move was indeed planned.

3) Everyone who is unhappy in their new country and wants to go home tries to make ''excuses'' for having ''failed'' at their ''dream''. Massive assumptions, generalisations and condescending preaching abounds.

4) If you don't like it, you should just quit moaning and leave. Because every adult has that much unadulterated freedom, of course.

5) Liking living in another country is a sort of 'triumph' to feel smug about; missing the UK is a sort of 'failing' to feel shameful about.

Fools.
And why exactly are you a member of this forum. I would think that a forum would be a mix of people who miss wherever they call home and others that have never looked back.

Calling people fools doesnt help one bit.

Try and find another board where there are no fools, good luck finding it...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:05 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Silly thing to say.

No one suggested otherwise

Move along you need a new forum...

SuperRams

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 14th 2010 at 9:13 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Please define 'lots'?....as a perecentage of the whole perhaps....This guy has no intention of returning....and I am sure there are many like me........ I would hazzard a guess that more stay in there new chosen country than return to the UK (at least in the short term, say 1 to 10 years)
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lilybilly101

I agree with that - being here or whereever by accident or for reasons other than escaping is IMHO worse.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Please define 'lots'?....as a perecentage of the whole perhaps....This guy has no intention of returning....and I am sure there are many like me........ I would hazzard a guess that more stay in there new chosen country than return to the UK (at least in the short term, say 1 to 10 years)
Me too !

It's OK to visit to get the nostalgia fix but you can't find bobbies on bicycles anymore, the scenery is nice and quaint but it does provide a living and there's more to life than the pub culture.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

SuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to allSuperRams is a name known to all

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
I agree with that - being here or whereever by accident or for reasons other than escaping is IMHO worse.
Agree, everyone has their reasons for both deciding to leave the uk and and deciding to move back or not. There are things that i miss about home but there are larger underlying reasons that are making me think about moving back.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Move along you need a new forum...

SuperRams
Thanks, the reason that i am maybe others have joined this board is due to the stuggling with where their at. I look to these boards for help in dealing with bouts of homesickness as well as maybe helping or meeting up with others in the same boat.

Fools we are not.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:28 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

I think a lot of people emigrate for an adventure for a few years and in their minds they will always return to their Country of birth, read somewhere that over 70% return to their Countries of origin within 5 years...but I think this was planned by most anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.