Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Looks like I got out just in time.

Looks like I got out just in time.

Old May 11th 2004, 5:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pulaski
I don't know what "fundamentals" you are talking about, but in the London I know tiny two bed terrace houses start at around £300,000, and most are much more than that. You'd be lucky to get a three bed terrace house for less than £450,000. Who on earth can afford these houses?

The only "fundamental" in the SE property market that I'm aware of is that it is fundamentally over-priced.
If the rental income produces a good return then the fundamentals are correct.
Old May 11th 2004, 6:20 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Pulaski
Who on earth can afford these houses?

You won't find many sitting empty

jib
Old May 11th 2004, 10:27 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
You sum up our thoughts very well. Renting would not be cheap long term, but my concern is still how many houses are still sitting around since last December, as you say that price bracket is pretty loaded. What I dont want to do is buy and then get stuck selling out if we dont like the place because as this forum has taught me selling in the UK is no picnic Paying to much here is an issue that must be going through everybodies minds but as you say it may not level off for a while yet. We have one very good hand tho Cash buyers, no chain we made an offer on the weekend just to test the water, house in Heathfield which has been on the Market for at least 3 months, I offered 15% below the asking price and frankly expected to be verbally abused at the least but no, they rejected the offer but agent indicated 10% below might do the trick. So with that in mind and a lot more confidence in tactics I will get sorted yet, all I need to do is wade through the thousands and thousands of homes
that I get faced with every day, Confusing to say the least.
Latest area I like is Kew in London, went with my brother to see his inlaws there, really like it not that far from my parents etc and would fit the bill perfectly for a smallish house to rent out to OS tourist market when we finally narrow down the zillion odd houses in the country for sale.
Hi Dotty

Glad to see you explored Heathfield..nice area !!Reading your thread gives us hope in as far as possibly being able to offer 10% below the asking price as the houses we are looking at in a part of West Sussex are seeminly being "snapped" up. They are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but the area really appeals to us. Hopefully there will be some left in the area when we return !!We will have to rent at first until hubby gets settled in a job and by that time I am sort of hoping that house prices will have just stayed the same for a good while and not risen too much. I look on the internet and just end up wanting more red wine to numb the pain of what some are up for !!Still its not put us off returning!!

Good luck with your hunting and let us know how it goes !!

All the best

Pants
Old May 11th 2004, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hey pants-where abouts in west sussex are you thinking of? We are looking at that area too but it depends on jobs!!
Old May 11th 2004, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
We have one very good hand tho Cash buyers, no chain
That's what we thought - paying cash for a £245,000 house should have given us much more bargaining power, but at the end of the day EVERY seller still held out for as much as he could get....
Old May 12th 2004, 4:58 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by melaniee
Hey pants-where abouts in west sussex are you thinking of? We are looking at that area too but it depends on jobs!!

Hi Melaniee..wondered where you were, have not seen many posts by yourself..how's it going??

Southwater village..looks very nice and spoke to a woman who lives there so got the run down on it...do you know it?? how about you??Hubby will work in London ok from there and as for me who knows..not sure yet !!

P
Old May 12th 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Thanks Pants-I'll send you a PM. Working and so very hectic. Up early, home late but what a lifestyle for it !!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Pants
Hi Melaniee..wondered where you were, have not seen many posts by yourself..how's it going??

Southwater village..looks very nice and spoke to a woman who lives there so got the run down on it...do you know it?? how about you??Hubby will work in London ok from there and as for me who knows..not sure yet !!

P