British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Looking to move back to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/looking-move-back-uk-870257/)

kimliz123 Jan 7th 2016 3:22 pm

Looking to move back to UK

Hi all, just wondering who has recently moved back the UK. I have with my husband moved to New Zealand over a year ago, due to both our mothers ill health we are looking to move back home. It's would be easier if it was just us, but we will have a new born arriving in the next couple of months. I wondering if we would be entitled to housing and job seekers benefits, when we move back home while we are looking for new jobs?

Is there anyone/ any government department that could help us? We are looking to travel as soon as baby is born. Hence why not returning home with any money.

Any help or advise would be great.

formula Jan 7th 2016 5:47 pm

Re: Looking to move back to UK

Originally Posted by kimliz123 (Post 11830804)
Hi all, just wondering who has recently moved back the UK. I have with my husband moved to New Zealand over a year ago, due to both our mothers ill health we are looking to move back home. It's would be easier if it was just us, but we will have a new born arriving in the next couple of months. I wondering if we would be entitled to housing and job seekers benefits, when we move back home while we are looking for new jobs?

Is there anyone/ any government department that could help us? We are looking to travel as soon as baby is born. Hence why not returning home with any money.

No UK income based benefits for 3 months after you return to the UK to live, as you have lived outside the UK for too long. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...al-Residence-T

As you have been working in NZ, have you looked to see if you claim any benefits from them while you are looking for jobs in the UK?

Can one of the mothers house you? Or any other family member help out there?

BritInParis Jan 7th 2016 11:13 pm

You'll need to obtain your baby's British passport before you travel.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

cheers Jan 12th 2016 10:45 am

How about telling them you are Polish? Apparently they get benefits right away. In fact you may get benefits before you arrive.
(this is written tongue in cheek because of what I have read in the press)

Pollyana Jan 12th 2016 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11834975)
How about telling them you are Polish? Apparently they get benefits right away. In fact you may get benefits before you arrive.

Maybe you should start reading something other than the taboid rags.

Pollyana Jan 12th 2016 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kimliz123 (Post 11830804)

You'll be pretty much on your own for the first few months, so the more cash you can bring with you the better.
Can your mother not help you out, if you are returning for her?

Get in touch with the council where you last lived and get yourself back on the electoral roll before you come home - handy if/when you want credit checks.

And as BritInParis says, you will need to sort out a passport for your baby before you can travel.

Editha Jan 12th 2016 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 11834975)

Which is utter bollocks.

formula Jan 12th 2016 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11835185)
Which is utter bollocks.

With knobs on. Although to be fair to cheers, EEA ciitzens could claim as soon as they arrived but from 2010 the new UK government has been stopping all that. Many have had/are having, their UK benefits stopped even though they had been claiming then for years.

Lot of hits from search engines on this and on the governments reponse to EEA citizens wanting UK benefits; here is one of them
“The Government wishes to deter EEA migrants from coming to the UK if they do not have a firm offer of or realistic chance of securing work. Those who come to the UK to look for work should ensure that they have sufficient resources to pay for their accommodation needs, as well as other support that they or their family may need while here. The best option for those EEA migrants who are unable to find work, who lack savings or support networks and who are at real risk of ending up destitute is to return home.”

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/exis...using-benefit/

kins Jan 18th 2016 1:04 am

If you are coming back to care for parents, can they help you financially? Put you up for the first few months?

SanDiegogirl Jan 18th 2016 1:11 am

[QUOTE=kins;11840630]
deleted.

Editha Jan 18th 2016 6:57 am

Originally Posted by kins (Post 11840630)
If you are coming back to care for parents, can they help you financially? Put you up for the first few months?

The parents or the state?

SanDiegogirl Jan 18th 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11840774)
The parents or the state?

Think the question was asked of the OP as to whether the OP's parents could put them up and finance them.

Editha Jan 18th 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11841121)
Think the question was asked of the OP as to whether the OP's parents could put them up and finance them.

Thanks.

amberleaf Jan 19th 2016 6:24 am

If your mother receives DLA at one of the higher rates you may get Carers Allowance of £62.10 per week. If she receives PIP (at a higher rate) I am not as sure but pretty sure she will get. DLA is now for over 64 yrs old PIP for under 64. Both benefits (DLA and PIP) are for people who are long term illness or disability, the amount of care required decides whether Carer's Allowance is granted. Rule of thumb if you need to get up during the night several times to see to the person then carer's should be granted.

Housing Law is such that if you have young children they will house you far quicker than without. There is no legal requirement for the govt to house people over 25 unless they are considered in some way at risk (ie a vulnerable adult) As you are coming from overseas and giving up a home there may be ambiguity as to whether you have made yourself "intentionally homeless". I'd look further into this if I were you.
People resident here with young children may present themselves as homeless to the local council up to 28 days before the actual date they will be homeless. Be assured that you will get a house/flat in a very bad area and no choice of refusal unless you can prove that taking the accommodation will be unsafe for a member of your household.

I would not rely on the state to provide either housing or income due to the type of housing you will get and the amount of hoops you will jump through to get Job Seekers initially. I'm being honest, they will mess you around. Far better to stay with relatives or friends and work to get a private rent accomodation.

I say this as someone who has had personal experience of all matters mentioned in this post, including trying (and suceeding) to get someone a better located homeless property than the one they were allocated.

I rent privately.

Editha Jan 19th 2016 7:40 am

For the carer's allowance, you have to be spending 35 hours or more per week looking after the disabled person. You also have to have been resident in the UK for two out of the last three years. I think the OP went to NZ in October 2014, so would need to be in the UK for a few months before becoming eligible.