Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Not using part of the return air ticket when we return to UK

Not using part of the return air ticket when we return to UK

Old Feb 14th 2016, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not using part of the return air ticket when we return to UK

We planned to spend 3 months in Cape Town in March 2015 and bought return tickets to Vancouver where we were living. As we planned to move back to UK but were waitingto sell house we thought we would be still in Canada in March 2016. Then miraculously house sold, visa approved and we decided to go backto UK in October 2015 and changed tickets with paying a large sum to have a stop over on that ticket in UK and left again in Dec 2015 for Cape Town on this same ticket. It was cheaper to keep the return part of ticket from London to Vancouver. Now we are leaving next week on same ticket for London with hand luggage only so we dont have suitcases travelling to Vancouver without us. My question is after this ramble is do we tell them at Cape Town check in at British Airways we wont be travelling onto Vancouver and risk more money paid out on cancellation or do we just go to London, then go to British Airways info and tell them we have an emergency and are not travelling to Vancouver and to cancel the last leg of flight with apologies but giving them time to fill the seats or just ignore that part of ticket but
risk being black listed by BA as we are Avion members?
Old Feb 14th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not using part of the return air ticket when we return to UK

Anyone with a ticket can decide to use it or part of it. NO PERMISSION is required.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 8:02 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think you would be blacklisted? I agree with the major. If you choose not to use an air ticket, that's up to you.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

Why would you need to travel with only hand luggage? Is your ticket for Vancouver with a short layover in London or is it two separate flights? If it is just a short layover you could just tell them at check in that you are only going to travel as far as London... The airline will not blacklist you they will have StandBy passengers waiting for your seats..
Old Feb 14th 2016, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dundee15
Why would you need to travel with only hand luggage? Is your ticket for Vancouver with a short layover in London or is it two separate flights? If it is just a short layover you could just tell them at check in that you are only going to travel as far as London... The airline will not blacklist you they will have StandBy passengers waiting for your seats..
Yes our tickets are for Vancouver with a lay over in London. So we could then take our luggage and at Cape Town tell them we are not going onto Vancouver but are staying in London. Just make sure they put only LDH on the suitcase where we can collect it! That is good to know because we have some wine to bring back lol
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I experienced a similar problem with BA I recently read another person who had to pay lots more money to change tickets.
It was a condition of my advance ticket that I had to use all the sectors in the correct order to qualify for the advance fare.
My journey was into London then on to Washington DC and return.
Circumstances changed and I did not need the first leg into London.
That was the only change.
I tried to cancel it - didn't want a refund and therefore allow them to re-sell the 2 seats.
If I wanted to do that then it was a £600 charge.
You are probably ok if it is your last sector but mine was the first sector and by not checking in for the flight to Heathrow it would automatically cancel the connecting flight to DC.
That was 6 years ago and I haven't flow BA since.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes I also booked an advance fair and when we tried to remove the last leg LDH to VKR the price went up nearly $2000 but if we left that leg in it was reduced so we changed the ticket to include the 2 month stop over and leave the ticket as is but when chatting to the agent on phone he hinted that people just do not turn up and often book return flights and not use them as it is much cheaper. That is why I thought to ask and only take hand luggage and then go to the help desk at Heathrow and tell them an emergency has arrisen and we wontbe carrying on as they cant charge usthen but our fear is they charge us at Cape Town airoport knowing we want to board the flight to London.

Last edited by feelbritish; Feb 14th 2016 at 12:01 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 12:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Yes I also booked an advance fair and when we tried to remove the last leg LDH to VKR the price went up nearly $2000...
Perhaps cheaper to remove LHR to YVR?
Old Feb 14th 2016, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Perhaps cheaper to remove LHR to YVR?
Yeah I got the symbols wrong for airports, been away a while, no ticket is already booked and paid for I am just worried that we get to check in and try cancel the LHR to YVR leg and they tell us we have to pay a cancellation fee as we booked this ticket in June and if we don't pay they wont let us on!
Old Feb 14th 2016, 1:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is against the terms of the ticket to not show up for a flight, so TheMajor is incorrect, as is anyone who says that you can just choose not to show up for a leg. The main consequence of not showing up is that all subsequent legs are cancelled, though this clearly isn't an issue if it is the final leg that you are skipping.

That said, obviously the airline can't round you up and press-gang you on to a flight, so in practice just "not showing up" is a valid strategy, and in practice the airlines can so nothing about it other than pout. It is certainly very common in the US to book flights and abandon the later leg(s).

So, I'd not try to tell them, just leave the airport in London, and it is likely that someone flying on standby will be thankful for your decision.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is against the terms of the ticket to not show up for a flight, so TheMajor is incorrect, as is anyone who says that you can just choose not to show up for a leg. The main consequence of not showing up is that all subsequent legs are cancelled, though this clearly isn't an issue if it is the final leg that you are skipping.

That said, obviously the airline can't round you up and press-gang you on to a flight, so in practice just "not showing up" is a valid strategy, and in practice the airlines can so nothing about it other than pout. It is certainly very common in the US to book flights and abandon the later leg(s).

So, I'd not try to tell them, just leave the airport in London, and it is likely that someone flying on standby will be thankful for your decision.

It is against the terms of the ticket to not show up for a flight, so TheMajor is incorrect. I would like it very much if you can find the terms and conditions that state this!
I travel extensively throughout the world. Often abandoned a leg of a flight. Not a problem at all.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 17th 2016 at 11:03 am. Reason: Please quote correctly or it makes things difficult for others to read
Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
..... I travel extensively throughout the world. Often abandoned a leg of a flight. Not a problem at all.
Only if it is the LAST leg, otherwise the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Only if it is the LAST leg, otherwise the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled.
So you cannot PROVE your statement then.

When I abandon any leg. I then CASH in my remaining flight tickets. Then when I am ready I just book another flight Simples.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by themajor
So you cannot PROVE your statement then.

When I abandon any leg. I then CASH in my remaining flight tickets. Then when I am ready I just book another flight Simples.
Yes, I can. If you book a return flight A -> B, and don't fly to B as booked, you can't get on the return leg back to A. If you book A -> B -> C -> A and don't board the plane at B to fly to C, then the C -> A leg will be cancelled. I have a family friend that this happened to, and ended up stranded in California with no valid return ticket, and no means to pay for one!

Obviously, as I suspect you're doing, if you book flights separately, A -> B, B -> C, C -> D, etc. and x -> A, such that they are all independent legs, probably though not necessarily with different airlines, then you can cancel any one, or more than one leg, and the remaining tickets are still valid. But this is very different to the OP, who has a return flight from Canada to South Africa, which happens to change planes in London; in that case you are abandoning "part" of a flight and the airline absolutely will not refund the London-Canada leg, .... it would be like asking a restaurant to give you a refund for the half of a steak you didn't eat.

Getting a refund on the (whole) return leg of a return ticket is a different question, and may or may not be refundable, depending on the exact small print of the ticket you bought.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 14th 2016 at 5:01 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 4:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just do as you suggested in the opening post. Go with hand luggage to London so your cases aren't tagged for Vancouver. Then don't turn up for the last bit.
I came to UK with return tickets, once here we called to cancel the return part, they took a small fee off the refunded amount and put the rest back on my CC. Still cheaper than a one way ticket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.