Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Looking to bring my dog from US to UK. Any Help?

Wikiposts

Looking to bring my dog from US to UK. Any Help?

Old May 11th 2013, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

pieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking to bring my dog from US to UK. Any Help?

Hey Guys,

I recently lost my husband of 15 years. He was American, I am British. I am hoping to get back home as soon as possible, as I'm pretty much stranded here not being able to drive. I sent off my UK passport for renewal on May 8th. I now have to start preparing our 5-year-old labrador retriever for the trip back to the UK. I've been reading as much as possible online. It just seems like a really daunting process. I'm located in Central New Jersey. Any help/info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry
Old May 11th 2013, 1:59 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to bring my dog from US to UK. Any Help?

Sorry to hear that. The moving back to the UK forum will be able to help more. This is a link to their pets section in their Wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...K_from_the_USA
Old May 12th 2013, 5:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences on your loss!

I'll mirror the advice above, about looking in the Moving back to UK forum here as there will be more advice to help you. Something to consider would be the summer temps, where some airlines won't fly pets during certain months because of the heat. I have no idea if that would apply from NJ, but it's certainly something to consider for your timeline.

Good luck!
Old May 12th 2013, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kerry,
I'm sorry to hear of your loss but glad to hear that you are going to be able to come home.
The wiki is actually a little out of date now as the rules have changed a bit, but the good news is that it's easier now, rather than harder to bring your pet into the UK.
The first thing to do is get your pet microchipped with an ISO standard chip.
THEN get the rabies shot.
Your pet can't travel until at least 21 days after the rabies shot and as you wish to travel ASAP you could get that done first and then get on with researching the finer points as there's a bit more to the process than that.
Many of the people in the moving back to the UK section have been through the process and will be glad to help you with any more specific questions.
Don't worry though, it's not as complicated as it appears.

Here are a couple of links to get you started
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/
Old May 12th 2013, 8:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pieandmash
Hey Guys,

I recently lost my husband of 15 years. He was American, I am British. I am hoping to get back home as soon as possible, as I'm pretty much stranded here not being able to drive. I sent off my UK passport for renewal on May 8th. I now have to start preparing our 5-year-old labrador retriever for the trip back to the UK. I've been reading as much as possible online. It just seems like a really daunting process. I'm located in Central New Jersey. Any help/info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry
Hi Kerry. I am from Yorkshire and have lived in NW NJ...Morris County...for the last 17 years. My condolences but kudos to you for turning your life around and moving back to the UK. As others have said take a look in the MBTTUK forum...there are lots of threads about taking dogs back to the UK. Good luck.
Old May 12th 2013, 8:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Kerry
Hi Kerry. I am from Yorkshire and have lived in NW NJ...Morris County...for the last 17 years. My condolences for your loss...but kudos to you for turning your life around and moving back to the UK. As others have said take a look in the MBTTUK forum...there are lots of threads about taking dogs back to the UK. Good luck.
Old May 15th 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

JL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the rough

NEEDS A BREAK FOR JUST A MOMENT::: USA applying for UK settlement to join partner. Submitted visa 05/14/13 overnight to NYC hub, with priority service. I did not think I was ever going to get it just right. checks, double checks, triple checks.... thought I could catch my breath, maybe even a decent night of sleep... Nooooo... now have to work on getting the two mini dachshounds there too! I've got all the paperwork here, all the certificates, my vet is certified (thanks to my friends who work there) but has anyone checked the prices to ship them? especially through a transporting company??? seriously $4000? That is just absurd, I'm sorry. So as of now, what I am thinking of going with is BA Cargo World. From check in to check out, custom fees, vet check at heathrow, $1759. Has anyone had any experience with this? Recommendations? I thought the application for visa was making me a nervous wreck, but just jumped out of one fire, into another. Dont get me wrong, I love my two girls, but the grandbaby in the UK talks to them on Facetime each weekend and is waiting to "help" me with them. Seriously, does anyone have any recommendations or personal testimony for moving and traveling with pets?

Regards!!

Last edited by JL0924; May 15th 2013 at 9:38 am.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:14 am
Just Joined

JL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the roughJL0924 is a jewel in the rough

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Kerry
Kerry,

I am so sorry for your loss! From what I have read recently, it seems much easier to bring into the USA from UK than vs. I spoke with a really nich lady at a transporting company that will pick up from your home, do all the required paperwork, pick up from airport and deliver to your home. I can imagine the less you have to worry with, the easier it may be. Again, I'm sorry. Just lost my mother in April. If you would like the name and number, please send a message.
Old May 15th 2013, 11:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to move the thread into the UK forum as I think there are a lot of posters in there who can help as they have either been researching, or have actually done this recently
Old May 15th 2013, 6:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JL0924
NEEDS A BREAK FOR JUST A MOMENT::: USA applying for UK settlement to join partner. Submitted visa 05/14/13 overnight to NYC hub, with priority service. I did not think I was ever going to get it just right. checks, double checks, triple checks.... thought I could catch my breath, maybe even a decent night of sleep... Nooooo... now have to work on getting the two mini dachshounds there too! I've got all the paperwork here, all the certificates, my vet is certified (thanks to my friends who work there) but has anyone checked the prices to ship them? especially through a transporting company??? seriously $4000? That is just absurd, I'm sorry. So as of now, what I am thinking of going with is BA Cargo World. From check in to check out, custom fees, vet check at heathrow, $1759. Has anyone had any experience with this? Recommendations? I thought the application for visa was making me a nervous wreck, but just jumped out of one fire, into another. Dont get me wrong, I love my two girls, but the grandbaby in the UK talks to them on Facetime each weekend and is waiting to "help" me with them. Seriously, does anyone have any recommendations or personal testimony for moving and traveling with pets?

Regards!!
Yes I shipped with BA and it wasn't cheap but none of the airlines are. They did an excellent job and it was worth every penny. You just have to stop getting worked up over the cost and get on with it unfortunately.
Old May 15th 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice

Being on the East Coast a less stressful way might be on the QM2 not cheap but you might find overall it works out the same as flying. My brother justed book for a sailing in August with his dog. On a budget I understand KLM are the cheapest, it means going via Amsterdam but depending where you are heading you might find flying into (for example), Manchester, Bristol etc overall quicker
http://theroadunleashed.com/posts/qm2_kennels_faq
https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/pre...concept.htm#p5
Old May 16th 2013, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Really sorry to hear about your loss. Wishing you well with your move back! I second Teremok with suggesting the QM2. Not as dear as you might think, and you need some pampering!
Old May 16th 2013, 3:58 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Looking to bring my dog from US to UK. Any Help?

Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Kerry

Hello Kerry

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome to the MBTTUK board

I can fully understand that you feel stranded in the US because of being unable to drive. I have a house in NJ (Short Hills) and have just been back there to sell my Volvo which was just sitting on the drive. Even though the house is walking distance of the train station for trains into NYC a car is almost essential to do any local shopping or medical/dental/hairdressing appointments, although nowadays groceries can be ordered online and delivered. I'm just going to hire a car on future trips back to NJ or use my son's car if he lets me...

You have two options to take your dog to the UK; either by air or the transatlantic crossing on the QM2.

United Airlines flies from Newark airport and they fly to Heathrow, as does British Airways and Virgin Atlantic..see the link below for flying pets with United.... but the comments from United 'Petsafe' customers are alarming..

However, do read one comment in the first link (posted on page 2 on August 23, 2012) when flying a Golden Retriever to Europe....Air France may be a worthwhile option as "Air France charges a flat fee of $250") - you could check if they can transfer your dog from Charles de Gaulle airport to Heathrow. On the other hand a family member or UK based friend could meet you and your dog in France...pets are now allowed across the English Channel so you could come back by car via ferry or Channel Tunnel if you don't want your dog to get on another flight from Paris to London ).

United Airlines:
https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/co...r-animals.aspx

https://www.united.com/web/format/pd..._Locations.pdf

British Airways: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb

Virgin Atlantic: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...with-pets.html

Air France
(flies from Newark (EWR) to Paris (CDG) http://www.airfrance.co.uk/US/en/com..._airfrance.htm Wow...the fee appears to be 200 Euros but it seems vague about the ticketing/transportation procedure....best to contact the airline directly.

I was very fortunate to travel last July on the QM2 from New York to Southampton (a surprise trip!) and was able to see some of the dogs outside the kennel area on the ship, they appeared to be very well cared for by the kennel crew. I understand that it is a very economical way to transport a pet across the Atlantic compared to most of the airlines and I would imagine is less stressful for the pets too. Cunard often has special offers where the cost for a passenger is around the same as flying and you can take as much luggage as you can fit in the cabin....easily 6 to 10 large suitcases.

One poster on BE ("Britwhore") booked a last minute crossing on the QM2 last Summer, sailing in August and moved her four dogs to the UK due to a last-minute cancellation in the kennels, saving her thousands of dollars It's probably best to phone Cunard directly and keep checking back with them.

Most cabins are priced based on two or more passengers sailing, but perhaps you could have a companion with you who would then fly back to NJ or a UK based friend or relative could come out and sail back with you and your dog?

Cunard QM2 Info:

http://wearecunard.com/2010/02/it%E2...orth-atlantic/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693440

Eastbound dates NY-Southampton 2013 & 2014:

http://cunardcommodore.com/transatlanticcrossings.html (I'm in Switzerland and the official Cunard.com website is translating into German lol!)

When and where are you planning to move back to (in) the UK?

I hope this helps - all the best

PS: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793818

Britwhore's posts re; QM2 crossing (with 4 dogs lol!)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762863

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764420 (Very Informative re; DEFRA and taking a dog to the UK)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761654

Last edited by Englishmum; May 16th 2013 at 4:17 am.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your loss.

I think EnglishMum answered everything but if there's anything else I can help with just let me know!

It does seem really stressful but it's all a matter of timing and before you know it your dog will be barking with a slightly British accent.

I also suggest checking out QM2. You could really do with some pampering. They were great.
Old May 16th 2013, 5:18 am
Just Joined

pieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the roughpieandmash is a jewel in the rough

Thanks so much for all your advice. Still going through your replies. I contacted QM2. Unfortunately, they're fully booked through 2014:-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.