Wikiposts

London Sightsee List

Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Re: London Sightsee List

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Gawwd 2 days is just not long enough!
I know, but we just want a taste of London, have so many other places to go, people to see and things to do after that - once we're in the UK permanently (hopefully, early next year) then we will have a lot more time for the rest of the things - I hope!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I just got back from a weekend in London one piece of advice if your travelling around by Tube just be aware that there is a lot on maintenance work going on mostly on weekends so just check out a few different routes to get where you want to go. Get a Oyster card it's way cheaper than paying the cash fare. Also kids ages 5 -11 travel free as long as they are with an adult. You'll find lots of info. here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:39 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

This is very timely for us. We are in Bournemouth for winter and are planning a 3 day trip to London. Maybe next week, may wait until March. We want to go to Tower of London and would like to do Changing of the Guard which takes place 11 a.m. each morning.

A whole lot of information which is useful. Thanks for all the input on somebody else's question!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: London Sightsee List

The following may be helpful to you its the bus tours and the beauty of them is that they include a free Thames Cruise and you just hop off the bus and as you wish.

They stop at all the major attractions therefore saving you time and if you book attractions through them also they are often discounted and of course it saves you having to que.....(if you are planning on going on the London eye which is just amazing buy your tickets online otherwise you will find yourselves in a que similar to at the airport)

The beauty of these buses also is that your ticket lasts for a full 24hours so if you dont get it until 2pm one day you can get back on the next day and continue your adventure!
You will have a fantastic time there is so much going on and the free cruise is great.
All the best
Cally

http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattod...ightseeing.htm
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:32 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by softshoebanana
Don't forget that you don't have to spend a fortune keeping them happy:

Science Museum and Natural History both free (in the former there are priced attractions also) and if you want to show them all the stolen stuff (mummy's and marbles) try the British Museum (still free, I think) but 6 and 9 year olds might find it a bit boring.
A Londoner.
Agree on museums. My sons weren't a bit bored by mummies and dinosaurs. There are parts that aren't as interesting to them as adults, but you can probably put together games for them. If you can afford cheap digital cameras for them, you can do a sort of treasure hunt. Take pictures of certain things. Or their favorite thing in each room.

You can get them a free photoblog from Shutterfly and they can record their trip. (I just discovered the blog thing there myself. It's great. I plan to use it when we go on our exploratory trip next year?)

I think one of those cheap IIIP computers would let them and you upload them every day.

Bev
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, I love London, lived there, or in a near commute for over 20 years and whilst I love my new life in NZ I do still have pangs for London.
London Eye...brilliant experience & just got to be done
I agree with the museums, Science & Natural History of course, there's stuff there for all the family. I loved the V&A too.
Open top bus tour is a great idea, great way of seeing the sights. Covent garden is a great place just to wander and soak up the atmosphere, as is the Embankment, especially on a weekend when there's a lot of street entertainers.
The parks are great, and I love Hampstead Heath or Greenwich Park just for the views of London that they afford.
Some of the street markets are fab too, Greenwich market is a favourite, and just for the atmosphere I love the beautiful flower market on Columbia Road. Petticoat Lane isn't that good these days (in my opinion) but possibly worth a wander if you're free on a Sunday morning.
If you can get cheap tickets for a West End show that'd be worth doing, try the booth in Leicester Square, they sell tickets for that evening's performances at knock down prices, unsold tickets & returns. Or check out lastminute.com, there can be some great deals on there. Also some pretty good London restaurants do cut price meal deals on there if you're willing to eat early......just avoid the wine if you want to keep them as cheap deals, but seriously worth it, I've had several amazing 3 course meals in top class restaurants for £25 or so a head.....you can pay that just to eat somewhere really average.
London's big on history...unsuprisingly I guess given that it has a long and interesting history and some great old buildings. I'd suggest that it's worth trying to soak up some of that...that's what's unique to London, rather than places like Madame Tussauds etc which are really aimed at the tourist market.
But, of course, that's only my opinion...2 days just isn't enough and it's really down to you to prioritise what you want to get out of your visit.
I hope that you have a fabulous trip
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness i nearly forgot about the rain forest cafe
http://www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/
You have to take the kids there for lunch or dinner (may need to book though)
Its just amazing a real jungle themed restaurant with gorilas that move and grunt it was hilarious then all of a sudden there was a big thunder and lightening sound and it began to rain in the rainforest lol.

When you click on the links for the restaurant and click on each theme hold your mouse pointer over it to slow it down otherwise its too fast that way you can also comtrol the direction......And also they do the most ginormous sized desert that u have ever seen (it was enough fo 3 of us a massive huge icecream sundae lol) Its called the sparkling volcano.................
Enjoy i can guarantee that your kids will love it..........
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Nov 18th 2008 at 8:34 am.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:33 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
This is very timely for us. We are in Bournemouth for winter and are planning a 3 day trip to London. Maybe next week, may wait until March. We want to go to Tower of London and would like to do Changing of the Guard which takes place 11 a.m. each morning.

A whole lot of information which is useful. Thanks for all the input on somebody else's question!
A bit off topic here, but as you're from Canada and doing winter in England, how's it going? Have you done this often? I'm always looking for Canadian impressions of England as it's a different contrast to the Oz/UK one.

Bev
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:55 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cally49
Oh my goodness i nearly forgot about the rain forest cafe
http://www.therainforestcafe.co.uk/
You have to take the kids there for lunch or dinner (may need to book though)
Its just amazing a real jungle themed restaurant with gorilas that move and grunt it was hilarious then all of a sudden there was a big thunder and lightening sound and it began to rain in the rainforest lol.

When you click on the links for the restaurant and click on each theme hold your mouse pointer over it to slow it down otherwise its too fast that way you can also comtrol the direction......And also they do the most ginormous sized desert that u have ever seen (it was enough fo 3 of us a massive huge icecream sundae lol) Its called the sparkling volcano.................
Enjoy i can guarantee that your kids will love it..........
Cally
Wahay it's still open. DD asked me just last night whether the Rainforest Cafe was still open as it's on her list of things to do when we get back.

We took her there for her birthday about 5 years ago and I think I was more excited than she was
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:59 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Wahay it's still open. DD asked me just last night whether the Rainforest Cafe was still open as it's on her list of things to do when we get back.

We took her there for her birthday about 5 years ago and I think I was more excited than she was
Is that the one just off Piccadilly? Or am i thinking of planet Ark?
I'm sure I went there once many years ago.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that the one just off Piccadilly? Or am i thinking of planet Ark?
I'm sure I went there once many years ago.
Planet Flea more like

Yes it is off Piccadilly.

Audrey - if you are going to go to Ripleys it is close to the Rainforest Cafe as is Hamleys - you need to book the cafe though as it will be busy this tie of year.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:07 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Planet Flea more like

Yes it is off Piccadilly.

Audrey - if you are going to go to Ripleys it is close to the Rainforest Cafe as is Hamleys - you need to book the cafe though as it will be busy this tie of year.

so so homesick now... lets jump on an imaginary route master bus for a ride round
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

so so homesick now... lets jump on an imaginary route master bus for a ride round
I'll see if i can't find some pics lol....................
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:46 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by cally49
I'll see if i can't find some pics lol....................
Yippeee!

When I was back there earlier this year. Boris the new mayor, was promising to get ridof the new bendy buses that ave sprung up in London. Apparently, they are too long to negotiate the smaller streets and have been knocking people off the pavements
Bring back the old routemaster i say! I used to love them. Although saying that, they were a health hazard too, with people jumping on and off the back at the wrong time.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yippeee!

When I was back there earlier this year. Boris the new mayor, was promising to get ridof the new bendy buses that ave sprung up in London. Apparently, they are too long to negotiate the smaller streets and have been knocking people off the pavements
Bring back the old routemaster i say! I used to love them. Although saying that, they were a health hazard too, with people jumping on and off the back at the wrong time.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i wouldnt fancy getting caught in one of them concertina bus thingees be like they cone round the corner and ya get eaten up ........................Yeah on the buses type of buses yeeha u gals hang off the pole and i'll drape meself over the hooks at the back that the hang the prams off lol.......................

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.