British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   London Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/london-marathon-444243/)

PLANTS Apr 23rd 2007 6:48 am

London Marathon

Don't know whether I can put this here or not but I just have to tell someone!

My son ran his first London Marathon and finished it in 5hrs 14 secs! I am so chuffed for him and deadly proud that he trained for a whole year to get into shape do this run for the Charity Shelter. His lovely wife Alex was there at the end and said that the heat was getting to him, although it was 21 which isn't much to us, it was the first hot day they have had and wasn't the best temperature to do a marathon in and said that he did struggle with it. We rang him on his mobile, just a quickie (cost?!) to congratulate him and he was over the moon and so he should be ah.

I was most frustrated that I couldn't watch it on TV and had to cope with listening to Radio 5 Live on pc and checking his times with the London Marathon website.

Its times like this that I realise how much I miss them all and didn't want to come back here. Alex had to leave the boys(4 & 3) with her father. If I was still there I could have looked after the boys myself or hubbie and I could have handle one each and gone to the marathon too just to cheer Dad on!

Well, he finished and I am so proud of him.

Plants :thumbsup:

Kath & Graham Apr 23rd 2007 7:10 am

Re: London Marathon

Aah thats great I was gonna do the mini marathon here, but unfortunately running has slipped me by and I havent done it for ages, many a morning I was running round Kinross:eek: 4k that is and the mini one was 12.....

Bet your a proud Mum today :D

PLANTS Apr 23rd 2007 7:15 am

:D Yep, I have a grin from ear to ear today!

I saw him at the beginning of last year when he could go out for a run after work and come in sopping wet and bright red so I know how much effort and commitment goes into it.

Anyone who does it for charity, in my opinion, is a real hero!
Well done all the runners, not just my son.

One very proud Mum

:thumbup: Plants

Geordie George Apr 23rd 2007 7:51 am

Well done to your son, Plants. It's a great charity to support. And that's an admireable time, too. :)

LouiseD Apr 23rd 2007 8:53 am

Aw Plants thats just brilliant!! I hope they've got some nice piccies for you :thumbsup:

ladylisa Apr 26th 2007 5:12 pm

thats lovely news, but I will say that Sunday wasnt the first hot day weve had here, its been gorgeous for ages. :D

Mercedes Apr 26th 2007 8:23 pm

My cousin and her husband also ran in it, I haven't found out yet how they did.

Originally Posted by PLANTS (Post 4683532)
Don't know whether I can put this here or not but I just have to tell someone!

My son ran his first London Marathon and finished it in 5hrs 14 secs! I am so chuffed for him and deadly proud that he trained for a whole year to get into shape do this run for the Charity Shelter. His lovely wife Alex was there at the end and said that the heat was getting to him, although it was 21 which isn't much to us, it was the first hot day they have had and wasn't the best temperature to do a marathon in and said that he did struggle with it. We rang him on his mobile, just a quickie (cost?!) to congratulate him and he was over the moon and so he should be ah.

I was most frustrated that I couldn't watch it on TV and had to cope with listening to Radio 5 Live on pc and checking his times with the London Marathon website.

Its times like this that I realise how much I miss them all and didn't want to come back here. Alex had to leave the boys(4 & 3) with her father. If I was still there I could have looked after the boys myself or hubbie and I could have handle one each and gone to the marathon too just to cheer Dad on!

Well, he finished and I am so proud of him.

Plants :thumbsup:

Englishmum Apr 26th 2007 8:49 pm

You must be very proud of your son, Plants!

I thought you were living in Rugby, Warwickshire - have you returned to Oz?

My husband Pete also ran in the London Marathon, it was his second marathon as he ran in the New York one in 2005.

He is very pleased with himself as he completed it in a really good time (3 hours 38 mins and 58 seconds) which despite worse running conditions due to the heat, was almost 4 mins faster than he ran in NYC and he is 46 years old!

He raised over 2000 pounds for the Childline charity (it wouldn't have been his first choice of charity but he ran as part of a group from his company (the Reuters news agency)).

A 22 year old runner died after completing the London marathon; apparently he was 'over-hydrated' and had depleted his body of necessary salts and minerals, taking in too much water and not drinking enough Gatorade-type electrolite drinks - also when running long distances one is supposed to just take sips of water as well. Poor fellow, his family must be devastated.

Englishmum Apr 26th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 4701911)
My cousin and her husband also ran in it, I haven't found out yet how they did.

You can just look up their names here to find their results:

http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/results/

(If you click on their names highlighted in red, it will give the 'split' times recording their times at 10kms, 20kms, halfway point etc). :thumbup:

PLANTS Apr 26th 2007 9:25 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4702085)
You must be very proud of your son, Plants!

I thought you were living in Rugby, Warwickshire - have you returned to Oz?

My husband Pete also ran in the London Marathon, it was his second marathon as he ran in the New York one in 2005.

He is very pleased with himself as he completed it in a really good time (3 hours 38 mins and 58 seconds) which despite worse running conditions due to the heat, was almost 4 mins faster than he ran in NYC and he is 46 years old!

He raised over 2000 pounds for the Childline charity (it wouldn't have been his first choice of charity but he ran as part of a group from his company (the Reuters news agency)).

A 22 year old runner died after completing the London Marathon; apparently he was 'over-hydrated' and had depleted his body of necessary salts and minerals, taking in too much water and not drinking enough Gatorade-type electrolite drinks - also when running long distances one is supposed to just take sips of water as well. Poor fellow, his family must be devastated.

Oh wow Englishmum, thats brilliant time isn't it! I cant believe how well they all did under the circumstances, it was just so hot for them.

Didn't know about the 22yrold, feel so sad for the family, they must be devastated. I know they were offered water going around, were they not offered electrolite drinks too, will have to ask my son.

Heres a photo from him at the finish.

Yep I am absolutely proud as punch for him.

We were in Rugby and we absolutely loved it too, son settled in high school too but hubbie just couldn't get a job (electronics engineer). We had paid 6months rent in advance and were wondering what the heck we would do as we couldn't afford to live with paying the rent too, when he was offered a job back here same company he'd left but better job not so much stress (he was Production Manager before). So we felt we had no other option. I personally was devastated as I didn't want to come back and have been suffering with bad depression since and living off tablets once again. I do feel better now I am on them but its all taken its toll on me and I so miss my son his lovely wife and my two beautiful grandkids. I have a daughter here who is married and its lovely but I hate the family being split. We have said if we had our time over we wouldn't even contemplate coming here its so stressful. It upset me that hubbie tried everything to get a job, even mending mobiles and contract work and all over the south of UK but nothing came up. The way I look at it is, we are just meant to be here (Perth) at this time for some reason unknown to us but by heck I am going back and have no intention of staying here for good.

Plants