Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

London, Bath, Croatia tips? :)

Wikiposts

London, Bath, Croatia tips? :)

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:18 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London, Bath, Croatia tips? :)

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Thanks, TonRob. Your suggestions mirror my latest thoughts. I actually read yesterday that it's so easy to get to Gatwick or Heathrow from town that there's no need to stay near the airport. As a result I think I'll look for places around Victoria and Paddington. While I don't want to break the bank, I don't want to stay in an absolute dump either. This will be the start/end of our trip and my parents may never be in England again ... I'd like it to be a good experience. As a result I plan to find a place, book it, and take care of the excess in price.

I'd love to check out that good chip place you mentioned, they eluded me on my last trip to the UK.
Can't believe the number of typos in my last post! It was early...

Gatwick Express is non-stop from Victoria every 15 minutes, takes 30 minutes. Heathrow Express from Paddington every 15 minutes, takes 15 minutes. Couldn't be easier/quicker.

Good chippies are hard to find in central London. Most of the ones I know are in the vicinity of the main railway stations, but even then hard to find unless you know which side street to look down. Beware - most places in London that say 'Fish and Chips' on the window are actually kebab shops, and the fish and (especially) the chips tend to be freezer-to-fryer and utterly rancid!

Micky's is the real deal though. I've been going there on-and-off for about 20 years. If you go, tell them Tony sent you, and then watch for the blank stares. They always do that. Priceless, I tell you...
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Beware - most places in London that say 'Fish and Chips' on the window are actually kebab shops, and the fish and (especially) the chips tend to be freezer-to-fryer and utterly rancid!

Micky's is the real deal though. I've been going there on-and-off for about 20 years. If you go, tell them Tony sent you, and then watch for the blank stares. They always do that. Priceless, I tell you...
Ha! I think what you described is exactly what I ran into when looking for fish and chips in the UK a couple of years ago. They were not good. I'll have to find Micky's and will tell them Tony sent us.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:20 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! I think what you described is exactly what I ran into when looking for fish and chips in the UK a couple of years ago. They were not good. I'll have to find Micky's and will tell them Tony sent us.
I was told about this place over 20 years ago by the staff at the US Embassy. Not a shop of course but it was good for a fish meal. They had a counter attached to the dining room that did a fast and furious take out business.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...5258/sea-shell
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I was told about this place over 20 years ago by the staff at the US Embassy. Not a shop of course but it was good for a fish meal. They had a counter attached to the dining room that did a fast and furious take out business.

But do they do proper chips?

Without those you could be anywhere in the world.

Mmmm... 4 days and counting until my date with Micky's!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

But do they do proper chips?

Mmmm... 4 days and counting until my date with Micky's!
I'm looking forward to having real fish and chips soon. To date the best ones I've had were in New Zealand and while I know NZ has quite the British influence, that just seems wrong somehow.

Tonrob - we need a fully Mickys report when you're back! Research man, serious stuff.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:40 pm
Septic Sprout

I'm looking forward to having real fish and chips soon. To date the best ones I've had were in New Zealand and while I know NZ has quite the British influence, that just seems wrong somehow.

Tonrob - we need a fully Mickys report when you're back! Research man, serious stuff.
I've done the F&C in NZ - it was talked up a lot. But, wherever you go - it's all about the F and the C always plays second fiddle. It's the chips that makes it proper British.

I had fishcake & chips from Micky's about six weeks ago after a Sunday afternoon on the pop at a Welsh beer festival near Borough Market. I made the taxi take a detour on the way back to the hotel just to get them. Bloody gorgeous!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've done the F&C in NZ - it was talked up a lot. But, wherever you go - it's all about the F and the C always plays second fiddle. It's the chips that makes it proper British.

I had fishcake & chips from Micky's about six weeks ago after a Sunday afternoon on the pop at a Welsh beer festival near Borough Market. I made the taxi take a detour on the way back to the hotel just to get them. Bloody gorgeous!
Nice! I can personally vouch for the fish and chips at a shop across the harbor in Akaroa, NZ. They were ... devine. (But you're right, I don't remember the chips, only the fish!)

We will be making a pit stop. When I told my Dad he said, well you'd better ask this fella exactly where this place is. I said, I know the name, I can look it up.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:18 am
Septic Sprout

Just arrived in Paddington and made a beeline straight to Micky's after checking in at my hotel. Gorgeous fishcake & chips for the bargain price of £2.30.

Now sat in the pub supping London Pride!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just arrived in Paddington and made a beeline straight to Micky's after checking in at my hotel. Gorgeous fishcake & chips for the bargain price of £2.30.

Now sat in the pub supping London Pride!