Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

London: anyone going, gone back?

London: anyone going, gone back?

Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default London: anyone going, gone back?

Hi all, Im thiniking of returning to London as opposed to South Coast as I feel it will be better for jobs, and will be more like a new adventure... and not just going back to the same place.

I have lived in London before, for 8 years, but that was 20 years ago.... I do have a few friends there still though...

Thinking of East london, will probably have to share... anyone else heading back?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:12 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London: anyone going, gone back?

Yes but not until next year earliest after Xmas..ill be looking at West/ N West London Ruislip, Pinner up to Rickmansworth that kind of area.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

yes we did.
South London to live and I worked in the city.

(lived here before til we went to Aus, so I knew the lie of the land, so to say)
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

cinelight is an unknown quantity at this point

as soon as possible, in west London
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:31 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

I am, central for school, then probably towards the east/south east.

I've always loved London- I think it's such an amazing city, yet still so accessible. Can't wait! I'm going to a different area from where I've usually been as well, so it is a bit like going somewhere completely new
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Great! Yeah In really looking forward to it, but it wont be until about March next year... Will have to arrange and ex expats meet!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:16 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Great! Yeah In really looking forward to it, but it wont be until about March next year... Will have to arrange and ex expats meet!
That'd be fun! Good luck for next year then- it goes faster than it seems!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I know! It's goner fly by!!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

Hi, I've been living in Barcelona for a decade and have wanted to move back for years now! What I hadn't counted on was missing London so very much, it's come in waves but has never gone away and now I know it never will, so yes, we are planning to move back. Due to the crisis in Spain we are not sure how and when we can make the move, we currently have our flat up for sale and rent and will take whatever comes first. At the moment it may be late autumn or early spring but it will happen! London is not perfect and despite being born and bred (East London) I see a lot of negative stuff each time I return but it's balanced by the good stuff, Barcelona may be beautiful but it can never compete with London which is a world city. Our best friends are still living in East London and that's where we always visit so makes sense to be back there, or anywhere North, never liked South or West London but London is so huge that each area is like a city in itself with lots to offer. We can't wait for our renewed life back home!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

dragon1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pompeyblonde, I'll be really interested in hearing how you have settled in once you go back. I have been away from the UK for 30 years (US and Oz) and each time I go back I love London, the hustle and bustle and even the weather didn't seem so bad this year after living in foggy San Francisco for a while. I no longer have family there, so there is nothing really pulling me back, but if I could afford it I would love to spend a few months of the year there every year. Good luck with the move and I hope everything goes smoothly.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Dragon! I might start a blog or something to track how I go! My family are mostly in Portsmouth but also Surrey and Devon, I see it as a new adventure as I'm on my own, thankfully we have the Internet!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

dragon1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will look forward to reading it.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

If you never lived in London before, you might find settling easier.

I used to live here and had a wonderful social life, but returned a decade later- all friends circumstances have changed and we also have a child. London is no longer attractive to us.
Sure the beautiful buildings are here and lots of touristy stuff but now it seems very expensive and people seem ruder than ever before. I do wonder if it the huge fast influx of non-Brits have diluted out the 'politeness' gene. London was never overly polite, but it seems that all elements of courtesy have gone and everyone seems out for themselves.
Obviously this is only my perception but I have found it terribly disappointing and quite sad. My love for London has definitely waned in the last 2 years.

It is great to visit but to live? Not for us !
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi, Sorry to hear you're not enjoying London, I haven't lived there for 20 yrs! I figure I'll need to make new friends which I've done twice in different states over the last 7 years, I'm under no illusions though, I know it'll be a readjustment, I don't have kids so am free to do new things, also visit my friends and family just a couple of hours away! can't wait!!! I know it can't be as expensive as Sydney... Just need to get a job! Bring it on!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

torteval is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Pompeyblonde, I was really interested to see your post. I moved to the USA 5 years ago to join my husband who had lived there for 15 years at that point. It was never meant to be a permanent move for me as I left my grown up children and mother in the Portsmouth area.

My children have since had their own children and missing my family has been a problem for me.

I have worked for an American company for those 5 years and they have transferred me back to the 'London' (Watford) office. I leave at the beginning of October and my husband will join me when our house sells.

So, I shall be in the situation of living with my mother for a while near Portsmouth and commuting a few days a week to Watford, and then we will make a decision about where to live when my husband arrives.

We have never lived in the London area but I think we could end up living on the outskirts and enjoying both the city benefits plus exploring an area of the country just north of London and the eastern counties which we have rarely visited.

Although it would be very easy to stay in the Portsmouth area I think the opportunity of seeing more of the country is going to be fun. So I think you are probably thinking wisely about jobs and location if you can bear to either live in the city or tolerate the commute if you live at a distance.

It is always good to move forwards so good luck. when will you be moving?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.