Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

London Accommodation under £ 1000

London Accommodation under £ 1000

Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default London Accommodation under £ 1000

My employer wants me to work on a work assignment in London but is only ready to pay only £1000 as accommodation allowance. Isn't £1000 TOO LESS for decent accomodation in London?

Last edited by msi geek; Nov 19th 2011 at 4:38 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: London Accommodation under £ 1000

Originally Posted by msi geek
My employer wants me to work on a work assignment in London but is only ready to pay only £1000 as accommodation allowance. Isn't £1000 TOO LESS for decent accomodation in London?

Is the relocation for one person or for a family?

What kind of of accommodation would you be seeking? An apartment (flat) or a house with a garden? How many bedrooms?

Central London obviously will cost more than the suburbs and prices are higher the closer the accommodation is to an Underground (tube) station.

Prices tend to be cheaper South of the River Thames because the tube network is not as extensive (with the exception of prices in Richmond-Upon-Thames, which is very sought-after).

Have you looked at Craigslist or Gumtree?

I wouldn't pass up on the chance to live and work in one of the world's great cities :sunglasses: FWIW when we relocated on an expat assignment to the US (spouse working in Times Square, NYC) the housing allowance didn't even cover the cost of a 1 bedroom apartment - but it didn't deter us from coming.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Re: London Accommodation under £ 1000

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Is the relocation for one person or for a family?

What kind of of accommodation would you be seeking? An apartment (flat) or a house with a garden? How many bedrooms?

Central London obviously will cost more than the suburbs and prices are higher the closer the accommodation is to an Underground (tube) station.

Prices tend to be cheaper South of the River Thames because the tube network is not as extensive (with the exception of prices in Richmond-Upon-Thames, which is very sought-after).

Have you looked at Craigslist or Gumtree?

I wouldn't pass up on the chance to live and work in one of the world's great cities :sunglasses: FWIW when we relocated on an expat assignment to the US (spouse working in Times Square, NYC) the housing allowance didn't even cover the cost of a 1 bedroom apartment - but it didn't deter us from coming.
One Person - Single. I have been told that the cost of a decent service apartment in London can run upto £2500 to £3000?
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Prices arent cheaper south of the river. Putney, Wandsworth, Battersea... the list is endless of very expensive southern areas.

1000 quid... expect a studio or Peckham
Old Nov 27th 2011, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Where I live (Crystal Palace), you can easily get a one bed flat for under £1000 a month. Zone 3/4 border (3 going INTO London). 27 mins to Victoria, 19 mins to London Bridge. SZeveral Stations close by including the London Overground direct to Highbury & Islington.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
One Person - Single. I have been told that the cost of a decent service apartment in London can run upto £2500 to £3000?
Don't live in a serviced apartment then.

I think £1000 is plenty for accommodation for a single person in London, you could top it up a bit if you wanted to. I used to have a 1 bed flat in Wimbledon (which I owned) but I am aware that the rental value would have been about that.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

shouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really niceshouldistayorgo is just really nice

£1,000 - are you single.

Head to Balham/Tooting Zone 3, £130/month travel card). You'll have no trouble. 1 bed place (would you consider sharing,,,,probably not if you are new in town....you'd get a 2 bed mid terrance house in Tooting for 1300).
You will be in the west end/city in 35 mins on the good old northern line.
Do not believe a word you hear about the northern line. I lived on it for twenty years. 99% of the time it was perfect.
Balham/tooting is full of single young things working in the city/west end. A great place.