Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Location insights - Birmingham/Peterborough

Location insights - Birmingham/Peterborough

Old Feb 15th 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Location insights - Birmingham/Peterborough

Hello All,

I have 2 job offers. As the title suggests one offer is in Birmingham (Very close to Snow hill station). The other offer is in Hampton, Peterborough. I've read about both online and sometimes all you read about both places is quite negative (It's funny how they can both be the worst place to live in the UK, for example).

Does anyone on here live/or have good knowledge of these areas? Could you provide me with a little insight as to area's to avoid? Or even area's that may not be within city limits but still a good commuting location.

My wife and I have no experience of either area (we lived in Brighton previously), so local insight would be a huge benefit.
Old Feb 15th 2022, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location insights - Birmingham/Peterborough

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit View Post
Hello All,

I have 2 job offers. As the title suggests one offer is in Birmingham (Very close to Snow hill station). The other offer is in Hampton, Peterborough. I've read about both online and sometimes all you read about both places is quite negative (It's funny how they can both be the worst place to live in the UK, for example).

Does anyone on here live/or have good knowledge of these areas? Could you provide me with a little insight as to area's to avoid? Or even area's that may not be within city limits but still a good commuting location.

My wife and I have no experience of either area (we lived in Brighton previously), so local insight would be a huge benefit.
It all depends on the person and everyone will have a totally different view. Living in a place is one thing and working there is another. I've never lived in those places but have passed and for me both cities looked depressing. Like most of England you have poverty and wealth very close to each other. You can be in a city that's rough as hell and 15 mins drive away you have nice countryside, Hampton doesn't seem to bad for work and is not too central. A lot depends on where you come from and how you view things. Since we live in the West of Ireland, we are just not used to the roughness combined with poverty that you might see in cities like Birmingham and Peterborough. We would have to go to the roughest parts of Dublin for that, otherwise we are used to small villages and a city like Galway is very touristic and not that big. Somebody living in a rough part of London might say everyone in Peterborough is friendly. Those who like city life might say Birmingham is great and a teenager in Penzance might find the place boring.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 15th 2022 at 5:18 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Birmingham has had massive investment in recent years and become a very popular place to live. Lots of very posh apartment developments and totally updated shopping areas. Peterborough wouldn't be my choice of a place to live, but plenty of good places nearby that you could and travel in.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
Birmingham has had massive investment in recent years and become a very popular place to live. Lots of very posh apartment developments and totally updated shopping areas. Peterborough wouldn't be my choice of a place to live, but plenty of good places nearby that you could and travel in.
I don't think the city centre is the problem in Birmingham and yes they have invested. I think the bigger problem is anti-social behaviour and the surrounding areas.

Old Feb 16th 2022, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Hello All,

Many UK cities have their issues and most have good and bad parts. But, as Moses says, you do not have to live in these places and you can commute for work. With Birmingham for example, you could live, say, in Worcester, and catch the train in. There are plenty of decent places within a commute of Birmingham and Solihull is quite decent. I lived in Malvern for a while which is a good area and many people who lived there worked in Birmingham. Again, I personally do not like Peterborough but there are plenty of market towns around that are good places to live. It is best to visit these areas because ultimately, only you can decide what you like but I would start by looking at the rail routes for commuting and how far you are prepared to travel. Budget is probably another factor so I would check properties on Rightmove.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk View Post
Many UK cities have their issues and most have good and bad parts. But, as Moses says, you do not have to live in these places and you can commute for work. With Birmingham for example, you could live, say, in Worcester, and catch the train in. There are plenty of decent places within a commute of Birmingham and Solihull is quite decent. I lived in Malvern for a while which is a good area and many people who lived there worked in Birmingham. Again, I personally do not like Peterborough but there are plenty of market towns around that are good places to live. It is best to visit these areas because ultimately, only you can decide what you like but I would start by looking at the rail routes for commuting and how far you are prepared to travel. Budget is probably another factor so I would check properties on Rightmove.
Good points. Looking at Worcester you would have beautiful countryside right on your doorstep and it's probably more a question of housing affordability. Malvern looks nice and you have plenty of walks.
I suppose a lot of people including myself are quick to judge. When you are in the US it's probably no different and when you look at a city like LA the contrast between Hollywood and Skidrow is huge. I personally think the UK has a lot more to offer when it comes to quaint villages and smaller towns compared to larger cities.
Old Feb 16th 2022, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing Peterborough has going for it is superb public transport links. Fast, frequent trains to both London and York/Newcastle and beyond. East/West too; good service to Birmingham & the North, and to Norwich.

In terms of big city vibe, pleasant suburban choices, and countryside, Birmingham obviously has the advantage though!
Old Feb 17th 2022, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

If it were me I would choose to work in Birmingham and live in any of the lovely neighbouring counties surrounding Birmingham, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire as some examples I personally did I think much of Peterborough but you do not have to live there and so you could always look at the surrounding villages and small towns and then judge where your nearest City would be for your more choice entertainment/shops etc and also it’s about how much money you have to spend on homes etc. I personally like to visit the places I am interested as what’s one person’s idea of nice/good is not always the same for you. I would never pop in to Manchester or Liverpool if you believed what you read on line lol. Good luck
Old Feb 17th 2022, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
If it were me I would choose to work in Birmingham and live in any of the lovely neighbouring counties surrounding Birmingham, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire as some examples I personally did I think much of Peterborough but you do not have to live there and so you could always look at the surrounding villages and small towns and then judge where your nearest City would be for your more choice entertainment/shops etc and also it’s about how much money you have to spend on homes etc. I personally like to visit the places I am interested as what’s one person’s idea of nice/good is not always the same for you. I would never pop in to Manchester or Liverpool if you believed what you read on line lol. Good luck
That's exactly why I had difficulties with this. Most people online seem to be a lot more negative than they need to be. Living in Winnipeg, like I do, I should have been murdered and stabbed about 42 times by now and that naturally hasn't happened. Winnipeg is overall a very nice place to live with a couple of unsavory areas, which I am sure is typical of any city.

The job offer in Birmingham ended up blowing the other offer out of the water so in the end the decision has pretty much been made for me. Apparently it's an employees market right now! So I think my next steps will be to rent in Birmingham and then judge a more permanent area from there. For those that know the Birmingham area is Erdington an decent enough place to live or should I avoid the area?
Old Feb 17th 2022, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's exactly why I had difficulties with this. Most people online seem to be a lot more negative than they need to be. Living in Winnipeg, like I do, I should have been murdered and stabbed about 42 times by now and that naturally hasn't happened. Winnipeg is overall a very nice place to live with a couple of unsavory areas, which I am sure is typical of any city.

The job offer in Birmingham ended up blowing the other offer out of the water so in the end the decision has pretty much been made for me. Apparently it's an employees market right now! So I think my next steps will be to rent in Birmingham and then judge a more permanent area from there. For those that know the Birmingham area is Erdington an decent enough place to live or should I avoid the area?
That's the thing though and people are so different and might live a complete different life to yours. I don't think being murdered or stabbed is what people are on about. Someone who lives in a wealthy suburb and only drives to the city for clothes shopping won't see the same issues as someone who uses public transport and passes rough areas every day. Then you have people who just have no connection to nature and seeing litter and miserable people is all they know. Best bet is to walk the city on Google maps and get a feel yourself. Although not always up to date, you can still get a first impression. My last visit was many years ago and we stopped at Fort Shopping Centre.
Old Feb 18th 2022, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

ArthurBrit, for advice on specific areas of the city you could try Mumsnet. There’s always someone on there moving somewhere and the level of local knowledge is pretty granular and bang up to date.

I for one and probably a few others would be very interested to know how the whole process of moving goes so if you have time, please keep us updated on your progress. Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2022, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

You could try Bridgenorth or Ludlow if you want to move a bit further out. Both are really nice towns.

Visit Bridgnorth - Tourist Information, Attractions, Activities and Accommodation

Ludlow: Visitor Information, Events, Where to Eat, Accommodation, Things to Do, History
Old Feb 28th 2022, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Moon_River is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I lived in Peterborough for from 2017 to 2019, Stanground to be precise. I didn't have a problem with it, could pretty much take it or leave it. Property is cheap to rent or buy (compared to Surrey, anyway.)

It's got a large shopping centre and a pedestrianised town centre. The ancient cathedral is fascinating - if that's your thing. I got around town on buses mostly. Very reliable service. I got a job in Sawtry which is about ten miles away, about a twenty minute drive.

Peterborough is connected via a series of dual carriageways called Parkways. It was a new town in the 1970's. Bretton is a suburb but to me it has a fake, 'toy town' feel to it. Dogsthorpe is near the recycling centre (which is good) and not that nice.

The Green Wheel is a 45 mile walking/cycle trail. We used to walk by the river Nene sometimes, it was nice. Peterborough is in the Fens and therefore very flat with lots of canals for drainage.

Would have loved to live in Birmingham but despite my husband's best efforts a job offer was not to be. We lived in Droitwich Spa for a little while.

We live in North Staffordshire. We rented a house there then purchased a house nearby. We don't intend to live in a rented house again. My husband and I are working from home on short term employment contracts. You play the hand you've been dealt in life.

P.S. Seeing as Birmingham has your attention I wish you well.

Last edited by Moon_River; Feb 28th 2022 at 8:40 pm.