Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Local news story about father suing a school

Wikiposts

Local news story about father suing a school

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local news story about father suing a school

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
As the link I posted stated "Some supporters of the elimination of all non-academic preferences also point out that many European universities, including highly selective institutions such as Oxford and Cambridge, do not use any racial, legacy, or athletic preferences in admissions decisions". Didn't used to be the case, which is how someone as thick as Prince Charles got into Cambridge.
Though I wonder if someone was a world class rower if they would bend the rules...but judging by what those guys are studying generally, they aren't your average drinking degree like most sporting students over here seem to study.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:00 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So's the kid clearly, or he'd have got in on merit...
Basically, that it
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:03 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Though I wonder if someone was a world class rower if they would bend the rules...but judging by what those guys are studying generally, they aren't your average drinking degree like most sporting students over here seem to study.

They probably do Just a little bit .....
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
They probably do Just a little bit .....
Fwiw, not according to this. The claim is they can rely on prestige to attract top rowers:

"Neither university provides any sort of athletic scholarship, nor do they relax their rigorous academic standards to benefit rowers."

http://books.google.com/books?id=BEs...page&q&f=false

Rather different to the US, it seems:

"Highly competitive Division I programs actively recruit top junior rowers. Coaches can have a tangible impact on admissions as long as the applicant meets minimum academic standards."

http://www.usrowing.org/DomesticRowi...tingGuide.aspx
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:23 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

"Highly competitive Division I programs actively recruit top junior rowers. Coaches can have a tangible impact on admissions as long as the applicant meets minimum academic standards."
Our niece just went to UW after attending an upmarket private high school in Portland, Ore. She lives in WA, so gets to pay in-state fees (ca. $8K/year, IIRC).

Another member of her graduating class, who lives in Oregon, not WA, got a full-ride scholarship (not sure exactly what out-of-state tuition is at UW, but it's a top-5 public university in the US, and my guess is it's somewhere north of $20K/year) on the basis of her softball prowess.

I may be wrong, but I didn't think softball was a major sport.

Just checked: out-of-state fees for 2010 are $25.5K

Last edited by nettlebed; Jan 2nd 2011 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:23 pm
Banned

http://www.usrowing.org/DomesticRowi...tingGuide.aspx

That's very interesting! We have a son of family friends who chose to go to Gonzaga University, WA solely based on the fact that they have an excellent rowing team. His acceptance was probably based partly on his rowing prowess.
We did wonder why he chose to go so far away as his Dad is a professor at Notre Dame University in South Bend, IN. As for the son's acedemic abilities I think they are more than minimum. He is in fact rather a bright student.

Last edited by Desdemona; Jan 2nd 2011 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

The sad thing is that donating $$$ to many American private universities will get your children a place at that institution. So full marks to this school not to allow itself to be bribed. Many US universities also give preference to "legacy" admissions, another disgraceful practice imo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_preferences
That really grinds on me. There's nothing worse than applying to a US Uni and seeing on the application a spot where you can list people you are related to, or know, who have either attended the university or given money to it.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That really grinds on me. There's nothing worse than applying to a US Uni and seeing on the application a spot where you can list people you are related to, or know, who have either attended the university or given money to it.
Yes I noticed that when my son was applying.

I suppose it's a continuation of things like the best parts in the school play going to the children of families who contribute the most to the theater booster.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes I noticed that when my son was applying.

I suppose it's a continuation of things like the best parts in the school play going to the children of families who contribute the most to the theater booster.
It's soooo un-American!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's soooo un-American!
I guess that I was a time warp exception, 'cuz I was in school plays back in the day when nobody had to contribute nuttin'.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I guess that I was a time warp exception, 'cuz I was in school plays back in the day when nobody had to contribute nuttin'.

Last edited by Oregon4now; Jan 3rd 2011 at 5:56 pm. Reason: Can't get in trouble with a smiley face......or can I ?...lol