Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Local news story about father suing a school

Wikiposts

Local news story about father suing a school

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:57 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local news story about father suing a school

Originally Posted by ukintexas
How on earth can he sue under such cirumstances? We were dumbfounded. Thought I'd share to see what you all thought, and if there's any other stupid legal stories like this.
You can sue anyone if you pay the filing fee with the complaint. I don't think it would be sensible to have it any other way.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:01 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You can sue anyone if you pay the filing fee with the complaint. I don't think it would be sensible to have it any other way.

The short answer
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but in the UK would you replace the term legacy, with the term tradition as to the attendance at a particular university? Is it only on merit then, as opposed to a
As the link I posted stated "Some supporters of the elimination of all non-academic preferences also point out that many European universities, including highly selective institutions such as Oxford and Cambridge, do not use any racial, legacy, or athletic preferences in admissions decisions". Didn't used to be the case, which is how someone as thick as Prince Charles got into Cambridge.

There was actually a case at an Oxford college a few years ago - can't find a link now- where a parent tried to buy his child admission. It ended with a number of sackings at the college.

What I find ironic is that Americans think they have a meritocracy. The reality is that these days they have less of one than the countries of "old Europe"that they disparage as being class based.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:22 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
What I find ironic is that Americans think they have a meritocracy. The reality is that these days they have less of one than the countries of "old Europe"that they disparage as being class based.
I think it might be more accurate to say that America had a meritocracy, in the past, but a few generations ago a bunch of folks made it to the top and pulled the ladders up after them.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think it might be more accurate to say that America had a meritocracy, in the past, but a few generations ago a bunch of folks made it to the top and pulled the ladders up after them.
I don't think it ever had one. After all, this is a country that practiced slavery and apartheid, the latter until a half century ago. It's done a pretty good job of selling the idea it's a meritocracy though. Here's a great editorial from The Economist on the subject:

http://www.economist.com/node/2333345?story_id=2333345

“legacy preferences”—affirmative action for the children of alumni. Indeed.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 2nd 2011 at 3:38 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:39 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hoover: Kent is a legacy, Otter. His brother was a '59, Fred Dorfman.
Flounder: He said legacies usually get asked to pledge automatically.
Otter: Oh, well, usually. Unless the pledge in question turns out to be a real closet-case.
Otter, Boon: Like Fred.

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

As the link I posted stated "Some supporters of the elimination of all non-academic preferences also point out that many European universities, including highly selective institutions such as Oxford and Cambridge, do not use any racial, legacy, or athletic preferences in admissions decisions". Didn't used to be the case, which is how someone as thick as Prince Charles got into Cambridge.

There was actually a case at an Oxford college a few years ago - can't find a link now- where a parent tried to buy his child admission. It ended with a number of sackings at the college.

I can only speak for THIS American, and rather than make a generalization or disparaging another country, I would go for the school that would help me in my career aspirations.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing,
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for THIS American, and rather than make a generalization or disparaging another country, I would go for the school that would help me in my career aspirations.

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:46 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me...the kid should have worked harder to pass the exam.

I wonder if he doesn't WANT to go there and flunked it on purpose.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's the incident I referred to earlier. It was actually an undercover media sting as opposed to an actual parent trying to buy a place at Oxford for their child:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembrok...ssions_scandal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-scandal.html

Given the legacy policies of the top US universities, it's somewhat difficult to imagine this happening in the "meritocratic" US either:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...at-Oxford.html

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 2nd 2011 at 9:09 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:00 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the incident I referred to earlier. It was actually an undercover media sting as opposed to an actual parent trying to buy a place at Oxford for their child:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembrok...ssions_scandal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-scandal.html
At UKL300K, did that include a guaranteed degree too?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:18 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Seems to me...the kid should have worked harder to pass the exam.

I wonder if he doesn't WANT to go there and flunked it on purpose.
Well, there is that angle, after all just because the parents want the kid to go there, for whatever reason doesn't mean the kid wanted to go there. If I had it to do over, I would've done a gap year. You can bet your bottom dollar however, I would've been doing a working gap year,
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
...I feel bad for his kid, the dad is clearly an idiot.
So's the kid clearly, or he'd have got in on merit...
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:52 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
So's the kid clearly, or he'd have got in on merit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.