Living in Whitechapel

Old Sep 27th 2003, 7:43 pm
15217chick

Question Living in Whitechapel

I used to live in London and am moving back after a few years. I'm thinking about moving into an apartment in the Whitechapel/Aldgate East area, along Commercial Road, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about what sort of neighborhood it is. I'm interested in knowing about crime, what it's like to walk home at night, things like that. Do people feel comfortable in the area?

Any input is appreciated! thanks!

Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Whitechapel

Originally posted by 15217chick
I used to live in London and am moving back after a few years. I'm thinking about moving into an apartment in the Whitechapel/Aldgate East area, along Commercial Road, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about what sort of neighborhood it is. I'm interested in knowing about crime, what it's like to walk home at night, things like that. Do people feel comfortable in the area?

I worked near there until 2001, and though it was up-and-coming, it was starting from a long way down to come up from!

The area is, as it has been since Victorian times, heavily populated by immigrants, though these days they are predominantly Pakistanis (and I think Bangladeshis), and very poor - lots of import-export and rag-trade businesses.

I used to go for a late night curry on Brick lane, but was glad to get back to the bright lights of Bishopsgate on the way home. I also used to go to a curry house down on the Commercial Road, and was always torn betwen taking my life in my hands and walking back to Aldgate or taking one of the very dubious looking mini-cabs. One way or another I survived, but I'd be very dubious about actually living in the area.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 23rd 2003 at 2:25 am.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 8:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Whitechapel

Originally posted by 15217chick

From your username, I'm going to assume that you are a woman.

I worked in that particular area of London for a couple of years. It's a bit shabby around there. It does look run down and I don't consider the streets around there safe at night to be honest.

Even walking back from Brick Lane (after a curry) to Liverpool St. station at night, in the dark was an experience where you have to keep your wits about you and pay special attention for any sounds (it's not particularly well lit around the streets and alleys around Brick Lane).

If I were a single woman, I wouldn't consider such an area. If you can afford to pay to live in such an area (and the new apartments or renovated warehouse style accommodation), you could certainly afford to pay for a safer area.

On the social side of things, there are clubs, bars, galleries and the such but the local community comprises of many Bangladeshis who live in the council housing that dominates the area.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:37 pm
Monkey

Trisha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default well...

I am a single woman and I worked *sort of* near there at a pub on redchurch street. i never felt like i wasn't safe, but that was probably just stupidity.

I did not feel safe alone in Brixton, so there's your gauge.

Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I used to live there in my student days. I used to get off the night bus and run home, it was scary. Its OK during the day thouhg, lots of students, local eastenders (don't go to any of the 'local' locals, unless you want to get your head kicked in)and asian people.

I wouldn't want to live there long term.

Int.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 4:00 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

I work just nearby, and it's NOT a particularly nice area - mostly council housing estates. As someone else said, if I was a woman (single or otherwise), I would'nt want to live here at all. When I walk to the station in the evenings, I spot a lot of women getting catcalls and whistles from huge gangs of local youths.

Pick somewhere else, 15217chick!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 4:02 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

And I just noticed, if it's Commercial Road you want to live on - that's where I work so I know what I'm on about. DEFINITELY don't live there if you can help it! (Which is why I leave there in 10 days!)
Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:12 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...Whitechapel is filthy and not safe at all. I don't even like driving through there. I can't even think of anywhere around there I would consider living. Dalston is even worse so don't even think about it. Farringdon is nice but expensive. If you want to live in Zone 1 or 2 you have to pay for it. I prefer to move out to Zone 4 and beyond.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 10:18 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Yup - the area is a toilet and not safe at all. Jamaican and Turkish drug gangs, tension between immigrant groups, heavy traffic, pollution.......unless you can afford to live in a cool Docklands apartment.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 1:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Whitechapel is not that near docklands. Yes there is heavy traffic and pollution but that is central London. The gang stuff tends to be in other areas of London and is easily avoided. There is ethnic tension but I have never picked up on it. I find there is more tension between the Scots and English on this forum.

East Central London is now a good place to go out for stuff other than a curry. Shoreditch and Hoxton are quite "trendy" if you are into that stuff and there are plenty of new bars and restaurants. There just aren't the crowds that congregate around the West End which make one feel safer.

There are nicer areas just outside the Circle Line that are better but wandering around late at night as a woman might not be the best idea.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:14 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Its very near the Docklands, same Borough for a start.
Suggest you buy an A-Z.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 7:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scotch03
Its very near the Docklands, same Borough for a start.
Suggest you buy an A-Z.
Docklands is not that far away but it is not Aldgate/Whitechapel.

Would not want to live there myself but I guess it depends on what floats your boat.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 7:59 am
Feathered Member

Do you think we've put her off living there yet?!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked at the Hospital there for a year, would not live there if I could help it, car windows smashed by theives all over the place, spit on the pavement everywhere, Comercial road, Edith Cavell st, Whitecapel road, I am sure there are good points, but why bother.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked on Bishopsgate for a while and know the area quite well. Honest opinion - dont bother. It has got a little better over the past few years but still not a pleasant place, especially for a lady and especially after dark. The area around commercial road, spitalfields market, brick lane etc is where Jack the Ripper did his thing (in fact one of the pubs (Ten Bells I think) was where one victim was attacked. (This was a long while ago - but still....)

If your looking in that area why not try Clerkenwell perhaps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.