Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Living in Scotland but company located in Reading - problems?

Living in Scotland but company located in Reading - problems?

Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Buckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant futureBuckyball has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living in Scotland but company located in Reading - problems?

Originally Posted by dunroving
So, what do you need from this thread? Do you actually have a question that you don't already know the answer to?
Why don't you stay out of the thread if you are getting nasty?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:56 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

All income tax goes to Westminster and is distributed by the UK Government to the variuos entitity governments (England. Wales, etc.). I work in Scotland but my income tax does not go to the Scottish Government it goes to the UK government, who then pay out to Scotland.

The OP's England-based employer therefore isn't paying NHS contributions to NHS England.

Also, the OP is incorrect to differentiate NHS "UK" and NHS Scotland. It's NHS England, Scotland, Wales, etc.

Also, banks are not "Scottish". "English", etc. I live in Scotland and have bank accounts in Scotland and England.
Cool thanks

So, what do you need from this thread? Do you actually have a question that you don't already know the answer to?
No happy pills today.

I think you'll find the OP was using us as a sound board, but specifically was confused regarding his wifes employers position which was confusing, hence the different questions from multiple angles.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buckyball
Why don't you stay out of the thread if you are getting nasty?
Re-read the thread and ask yourself who was getting snarky. I couldn't have clarified the situation any clearer, but for some reason, you already knew, or understood what I told you, or started getting shirty (last post). Small wonder I couldn't figure out what you were asking for.

You can always ignore me but I'll leave the thread when I feel I have nothing to add.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

The company is being stupid.

I know people who've telecommuted from France to jobs in London, and it's not been a problem. Scotland is even less of an issue as it's part of the UK, so they can just pay standard PAYE tax.

I could understand if there's something like private health insurance where the place you're going to be in Scotland doesn't have coverage, but it's not like America where that would be a big problem as you've still got the NHS to fall back on.

Are you sure it's not an American that thinks there's a problem that isn't there. I've come across issues like that in the past where they assume every country works like America does. (they're maybe thinking Scotland is a different state, so they're thinking it's like having an out-of-state employee in the US.)

Last edited by bkk_mike; Oct 11th 2013 at 2:07 am.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I am not impressed by this company. Talk about ignorance.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

You didn't say what your wife does.

I can see a potential problem if she, in Scotland, is agreeing to legal contracts on the company's behalf, but it's the only thing I can think of where Scotland having a separate legal system would be an issue.

But most telecommuters are in IT, where it's not a problem.

i.e. She'd need to be doing something like trading on the company's behalf, which would involve entering into legal contracts, for it to become something for the company's local lawyers to look over.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I'm not very familar with the system in the UK. Actually we are moving back from the U.S. to Europe (EU Citizen) and my wife should be transfered to her company which is located in Reading. However, she is working remote from home all the time and we need to move to Scotland because of my job.

Are there any possible problems with her job like taxes, health insurance etc or is this easily working?

Thanks!
no

Thanks, right now HR came up with something that the companies UK legal entity does not currently cover Scotland. Don't get that.
really unusal - maybe ask them what they're on about, cos Scotland is in the UK and everything is basically the same as far as Inland Revenue, taxes, NHS health coverage. You can live in Lands End this week then Jon O' Groats next week & apart from your address - you are you all tied back to your National Insurance number just like the social security number in the US

Unless this way too complicated

If this working, no problem.

Could this result in any problem with health insurance in Scotland? I know NHS UK is different than Wales and Scotland. I have no big clue about it
no

But how we have to deal with taxes if the address of record is in UK and we reside in Scotland? Or is it possible to have two residences. I just wonder how this is worling out with setting up bank accounts and all other stuff up in Scotland. Maybe I missed a point with the po box.
no matter where you live in the UK (England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland)- you work, you pay taxes (PAYE) to the British Governments dept of Inland Revenue

I'm well aware of that fact. This is why we wonder whats the issue with my wifes company and that their UK legal entity does not currently cover Scotland means they cannot pay her there. That is really the most stupid stuff I've ever heard.
All answered above & its BS because Scotland is part of the UK. If the company has a policy of not paying her if she lives in Scotland - ask them why?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a relative newbie to the UK, having just moved to Edinburgh a little more than 3 weeks ago. My US company wanted to keep me working remotely, so a contractor exchange was set up. I basically work through a contractor, but they cannot pay my salary directly. I have to either be paid by an umbrella company, or invoice them like I am self-employed. I chose to go with an umbrella company so I didn't have to calculate the PAYE. The contractor and umbrella company (whom I'm actually considered an employee of) both are located down in England. There was never any mention of my living in Scotland to be an issue. It was basically a "here, sign these papers, and we'll pay you. thanks"

I've no idea what your wife's company may be going on about.

Thanks dunroving, for mentioning that independence referendum may cause upheaval for my job situation. I hadn't even though about that possibility.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You should not expect people in Reading to understand that Scotland is a part of the UK.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Also, banks are not "Scottish". "English", ......
Actually they are, the Halifax - Bank of Scotland merger was structured as a reverse takeover of Halifax by Bank of Scotland, so the merged entity was a Scottish bank.

In fact, it isn't just banks, all corporations in Great Britain are registered in either "England and Wales", or "Scotland", and the head office has to be in the area the corporation is registered, so a corporation registered in England and Wales with a head office in, say, Newcastle, can't just move it's head office to Edinburgh.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Actually they are, the Halifax - Bank of Scotland merger was structured as a reverse takeover of Halifax by Bank of Scotland, so the merged entity was a Scottish bank.

In fact, it isn't just banks, all corporations in Great Britain are registered in either "England and Wales", or "Scotland", and the head office has to be in the area the corporation is registered, so a corporation registered in England and Wales with a head office in, say, Newcastle, can't just move it's head office to Edinburgh.
But that isn't what the OP was meaning, as far as I could tell. Living in Scotland, I do not have to use a "Scottish" bank, and using a "Scottish" bank doesn't really mean anything in terms of everyday use. Unless it is a small "Scottish" or "English" bank that only has branches in Scotland or England, which might lead to some logistical problems.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But that isn't what the OP was meaning, as far as I could tell. Living in Scotland, I do not have to use a "Scottish" bank, and using a "Scottish" bank doesn't really mean anything in terms of everyday use. Unless it is a small "Scottish" or "English" bank that only has branches in Scotland or England, which might lead to some logistical problems.
You are correct. The effects of the two separate "zones" of registration are entirely transparent to customers and employees, which is why most people don't even know the distinction exists.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but the freedom of businesses to operate across national borders within the European Onion would almost certainly stop Scotland preventing a business registered in England and Wales from employing a resident of Scotland. But the question is moot considering that Scotland is not a separate country.