Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Confused Yankee in the U.K.

Confused Yankee in the U.K.

Old Jun 11th 2018, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Nancy R is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused Yankee in the U.K.

Hello, not sure this is the correct place to ask. I’m a newly retired nurse from the USA soon to be married to my British fiancée in the U.K. As we are getting married here without the proper visa, I will sadly be returning to the USA shortly after the wedding. We have secured a rental property in Normandy which is near both a ferry port and an airport allowing my soon-to-be husband to commute to his engineering job in the U.K.
I realise that I must apply for my long stay in the USA as I am a citizen. Not sure if I apply on my own to retire there or as a spouse of citizen of the E.U. Any advice? Thank you.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 1:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee in the U.K.

Originally Posted by Nancy R
Hello, not sure this is the correct place to ask. I’m a newly retired nurse from the USA soon to be married to my British fiancée in the U.K. As we are getting married here without the proper visa, I will sadly be returning to the USA shortly after the wedding. We have secured a rental property in Normandy which is near both a ferry port and an airport allowing my soon-to-be husband to commute to his engineering job in the U.K.
I realise that I must apply for my long stay in the USA as I am a citizen. Not sure if I apply on my own to retire there or as a spouse of citizen of the E.U. Any advice? Thank you.
I'm sure a mod will be along to move your question to the right place soon. This part of the forum is for tech issues with the site itself. At a guess, "Moving back to the UK" will be your best bet but a mod will fix it.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 10:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome to BE.

I have moved your query into our UK forum.

regards
BEVS
Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you going to live after you get married? In France or the UK? No point in giving information about how to emigrate to the UK if you are going to live permanently in France.

Where are you getting married?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 6:33 am
Just Joined

I would love to be married here in the U.K. however, the fees for a fiancée visa are outrageous. Money I had saved was spent on a recent return to the states to help care for a seriously ill family member. The wait time is also very long. We do have an appointment to file our intent but without the proper visa in hand, I doubt the Home Office will approve our application. We meet all other requirements such as income and housing, valid relationship, ecetera.
I’m also registered with the Nurse Midwifery Council which, because I’m a foreign national, charges almost £1500 just to take exams and is a lengthy process. The morning news has just reported that the Hiome Office plans to ease immigration rules for foreign national doctors and nurses. This is positive news and could possibly help to ease the current shortage of skilled healthcare workers....probably a bit late to benefit me.
The France route, applying for a long term visa, takes a few weeks to obtain, at a reasonable cost of under £100. Our new plan is my living in France for a year or so to establish residency, marrying in France, then getting the necessary spouse visa to join my husband in the U.K. if that is still what we want.
Bottom line is...in its rigorous attempts to control illegal immigration, the Home Office makes it very difficult for two people who truly love each other to have a life together. It’s taken all of the joy from what should be the happiest time of our lives. We’re not keeping our intent to marry appointment... 70 day wait period only to be told that our application has been denied....

Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:12 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you entered the UK with the intention of getting married without a Marriage Visitor visa then your application is likely, and rightly, to be refused. Note that is not the same visa as a fiancée visa which would allow you to lodge an application to remain in the UK after you marry.

If your intention is to marry and then move to France before attempting to return sometime in the future then I would take a look at the Surinder Singh route. Far cheaper and simpler than a spouse visa. Brexit will end it eventually but if the transition period keeps freedom of movement in place until the end of 2020 it may prove very useful to you.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the great advice. I’ve been back and fourth between the USA and the U.K. since last September to visit my boyfriend, my last arrival in the U.K. was in late April and so I must leave early October. My “boyfriends” proposal came as a complete surprise soon after my arrival. Do you think there is any chance that we will be approved by the Home Office? We have a notice of intent meeting on 2 July and have been told that our application would be screened by the Home Office which could take up to 70 days. We have a wedding date booked with the same Registars Office for 20th September. Think there is a chance for us to be spproved? I would be devastated to plan our special day only to find that we’ve been denied. Thoughts? Thanks again.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 9:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the great advice. I’ve been back and fourth between the USA and the U.K. since last September to visit my boyfriend, my last arrival in the U.K. was in late April and so I must leave early October. My “boyfriends” proposal came as a complete surprise soon after my arrival. Do you think there is any chance that we will be approved by the Home Office? We have a notice of intent meeting on 2 July and have been told that our application would be screened by the Home Office which could take up to 70 days. We have a wedding date booked with the same Registars Office for 20th September. Think there is a chance for us to be spproved? I would be devastated to plan our special day only to find that we’ve been denied. Thoughts? Thanks again.
Although you should apply for a Marriage Visitor visa from your country of residence if it is your intention to marry in the UK, if the decision to marry was made after you were given Leave to Enter as a visitor, then there's nothing in the Immigration Rules that explicitly prevents you from doing so, providing the Home Office grants you permission. As such you will need to make it clear that you did not enter the UK with the intention of getting married.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...-visitor-rules

V 4.10 The applicant must not intend to marry or form a civil partnership, or to give notice of this, in the UK, except where they have a visit visa endorsed for marriage or civil partnership.
(My emphasis)

My gut feeling is that you'll likely be fine however if you want a safe option that doesn't require marrying in the US then you could marry easily and legally elsewhere in Europe. You could do a John and Yoko and marry in Gibraltar if you wish to avoid the language barrier and have a British-style marriage certificate. Obviously the more guests you wish to attend your wedding the less practical that becomes.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Wow...just looked at the Gibraltar Registrar website. Very doable and already have all the needed documents. If we choose to do this, will I have any problem returning to (and remaining in) the U.K. with my new husband?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:08 pm

Wow...just looked at the Gibraltar Registrar website. Very doable and already have all the needed documents. If we choose to do this, will I have any problem returning to (and remaining in) the U.K. with my new husband?
If you mean remaining as in living permanently then you'll need a spouse visa for which you'll need to return to the US to apply for.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Got it and thanks again
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:41 pm

Got it and thanks again
You could move directly to France however.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

May do just that.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

I am intrigued.....how would I go about moving directly to France?
Old Jun 14th 2018, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Post your questions regarding marrying and moving France in the French section of this forum. More informed folks there to answer questions about French issues.

There WILL be lots of paperwork to complete for permanent residency in France just as in any other country.

....... and unless you work and pay into the National Health system you will need to take out private medical insurance.