Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

In a little bit of a shipping shock

In a little bit of a shipping shock

Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all
Default In a little bit of a shipping shock

I had allied round today to give me a quote for our moving costs. I had to take a seat...lol. I have rang several companies and read loads of shipping threads here, so kinda guessed a 20ft container would do the trick. Although we have a large house we aren't taking every thing. The guy went round today and he said I would need a 40ft container... I didn't think I had that much stuff..lol. I guess once I start getting rid of the stuff I don't need it might not be that bad but boy. I think most things are going to be in boxes as I have a lot of pictures, books and photo's. Furniture wise its like moving a small 4 bed. I am taking nothing out of the kitchen. Nothing from the formal living room and dinning room. Bet its the bloody kingsize bed. lol. Anyone else thought they had it in the bag but then when it came down to it found they needed to narrow things down a little?

We are all booked up now. We leave on July 31st. Its an over night flight so will be back in the UK on the 1st of August. Have been on the phone to a couple of leasing agents and my parents are checking out a house for us tomorrow. Although there isn't much we can do about it at the moment it gives us an idea of whats out there. The younger 3 are have their names down in schools so hopefully its just the money situation and the eldests schooling to deal with when we get back. I am going through ups and downs at the moment. There are just too many questions and not enough answers but I know once we get back we should get them.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: In a little bit of a shipping shock

Congratulations, I hope it all goes well. Im dreading the move to be honest, but we wont take much at all. We still have our things in the Uk fortuneatly
Cant wait until I can post we are going home lol
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:22 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

It always looks and seems much worse than it actually is. Moving across the world is pretty daunting as there is so much to organise. Sometimes you feel like it's never going to get sorted but write lists so that nothing gets forgotten and be patient - it does all fall into place eventually.

Good luck
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm71
I had allied round today to give me a quote for our moving costs. I had to take a seat...lol. I have rang several companies and read loads of shipping threads here, so kinda guessed a 20ft container would do the trick. Although we have a large house we aren't taking every thing. The guy went round today and he said I would need a 40ft container... I didn't think I had that much stuff..lol. I guess once I start getting rid of the stuff I don't need it might not be that bad but boy. I think most things are going to be in boxes as I have a lot of pictures, books and photo's. Furniture wise its like moving a small 4 bed. I am taking nothing out of the kitchen. Nothing from the formal living room and dinning room. Bet its the bloody kingsize bed. lol. Anyone else thought they had it in the bag but then when it came down to it found they needed to narrow things down a little?

We are all booked up now. We leave on July 31st. Its an over night flight so will be back in the UK on the 1st of August. Have been on the phone to a couple of leasing agents and my parents are checking out a house for us tomorrow. Although there isn't much we can do about it at the moment it gives us an idea of whats out there. The younger 3 are have their names down in schools so hopefully its just the money situation and the eldests schooling to deal with when we get back. I am going through ups and downs at the moment. There are just too many questions and not enough answers but I know once we get back we should get them.
Hope you've gotta a big bedroom and an easy route from the front door for the king size bed. That's is definitely something I would miss...my Novafoam king size mattress.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

The box spring is in two halfs so I shouldn't have too many issues trying to get it up the stairs or round the corner..lol. I keep looking at everything and then start walking away from it all. Gosh its scary..lol