Linen sizes

Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about
Default Linen sizes

I want to buy linens for a Britsh standard $4ft 6 ins bed, has anyone any idea the equivelent size over here, Im guessing "Full " ? think sheets are loads cheaper here so may as well tout back !!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Tyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really nice
Default Re: Linen sizes

Full size in the USA - 54"
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

is that across ? which would fit a 4: 6 bed
I could have measured, never thought of that !!
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
I want to buy linens for a Britsh standard $4ft 6 ins bed, has anyone any idea the equivelent size over here, Im guessing "Full " ? think sheets are loads cheaper here so may as well tout back !!
Depends where 'here' is

On our last visit, we found that nice sheets were a lot cheaper in the UK than Canada, cheap ones were also cheaper and still nicer than the ones here too.

Maybe look on the debenhams or M&S websites to see if they list the sizes? Or check out this conversion chart - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattress
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

sometimes Im so daft, "here" is USA, we are moving back to Cornwall ( Oggie oggie oggie ) in November. Can you tell Im excited ?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 8:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some charts of the sizes, EU/UK/US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think that cheaper sheets here (in the US) are terrible quality, and to get anything which does not feel like rough paper, wrinkle badly and/or lose their shape completely when washed you need to spend a lot more than in the UK.

Oh for those lovely M&S sheets - soft and practically wrinkle free.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I was wondering if I should just go for Marks and Sparks, just the push I needed !!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Thanks, I was wondering if I should just go for Marks and Sparks, just the push I needed !!
Yes. You should. Then come and tell the rest of us how nice they are, might be the kick up the bum we all need to get moving quicker

Added - and Hubby would also like me to point out that they do the best chocolate covered raisins in the world

Last edited by Dashie; Jun 29th 2011 at 12:29 am.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

just checked, wow, Im going to need a second mortgage !!
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:47 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy cheap linens, mediocre linens, or superb linens in every country.

My husband is 6' 5" and I'm 5' 8" and we 've just moved into our own flat. It's in a lovely old mansion house so we have high ceilings and very large rooms. We had a King size bed in the US, so over here we've bought ourselves a [UK] Super King. It's absolutely wonderful ... but OMG even the cheap linens are expensive!

Still, worth it.

They have TK Maxx over here (same as TJ Maxx in the States). Their sheets might be reasonable....

Last edited by DDL; Jun 29th 2011 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

so towels, should I go buy towels from the USA and take back ? or come to that, any ideas on what I sould consider toting back ?

PS this is amazing site, answers to all queries big or small
Old Jun 30th 2011, 12:22 pm
DDL

It depends. If someone else is paying for the move, I'd say bring with you whatever you please. But if you're having to foot the bill, no need to bring anything like towels - they're easy enough to come by over here.

We sold everything we had in order to move back: house, cars, furniture. There's really nothing at all that I miss with regard to personal items - except for a ruler with inches on it instead of centimeters.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DDL
It depends. If someone else is paying for the move, I'd say bring with you whatever you please. But if you're having to foot the bill, no need to bring anything like towels - they're easy enough to come by over here.

We sold everything we had in order to move back: house, cars, furniture. There's really nothing at all that I miss with regard to personal items - except for a ruler with inches on it instead of centimeters.
Really? I have just had a mooch around in our drawers and cupboards and found two 12 inch rulers, 1 six inch and various tape measures all except one with inches on one side and centimetres on the other. (The odd one had cm on one side and a time line of kings and queens on the other ) I thought all rulers came half and half.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:06 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by aries_bird
Really? I have just had a mooch around in our drawers and cupboards and found two 12 inch rulers, 1 six inch and various tape measures all except one with inches on one side and centimetres on the other. (The odd one had cm on one side and a time line of kings and queens on the other ) I thought all rulers came half and half.
All rulers do not because it took me awhile to find one with inches/cm.

Metric measurements has been one of the hardest thing for me to get my ahead around since moving here. Sometimes things are shown in inches, but its usually cm, etc. (draperies, rugs, etc.) and then liquids in ml, etc. Give me my inches and ounces, please!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.