British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Limit to foreign cash being brought in to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/limit-foreign-cash-being-brought-uk-879740/)

Victor Meldrew Jul 1st 2016 7:56 am

Limit to foreign cash being brought in to UK?

Good Morning,

I am returning to UK from for the Summer holidays after 3 months working in Saudi Arabia. This is the first part of a 2 year contract.

I still don't have a Saudi account so some of my salary has been paid cash in Saudi Riyals.

I want to bring about 10,000 Saudi Riyals cash with me (about £2,000). I am assuming that this is OK.

I have Googled, but can only see information on GOV.UK on taking cash out (10,000 Euro limit)

Can anybody confirm that this is OK (£2000 in SAR)

Thanks

Vadio Jul 1st 2016 8:26 am

Re: Limit to foreign cash being brought in to UK?

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

and read down to this:
Travelling outside the EU

You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country.

Victor Meldrew Jul 1st 2016 8:54 am

Thank You. I went to this page before but saw:

'Travelling outside the EU
You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country.'

But felt this indicated money being taken out of UK and not in to UK.

I couldn't see anything (other than the title on the page - 'Take cash in and out of UK') which specifically mentioned money coming in.

Regardless, the amount I am taking is far less than this anyway so should be fine.

:thumbup:

Vadio Jul 1st 2016 8:57 am

the key word (IMHO) is "between"....which I think is government-speak for in or out in this particular case.

Victor Meldrew Jul 1st 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Vadio (Post 11990839)
the key word (IMHO) is "between"....which I think is government-speak for in or out in this particular case.

yes I think you are correct :thumbsup:

Pulaski Jul 1st 2016 1:46 pm

What are you planning on doing with cash in Saudi riyals? It isn't a widely used currency in the UK and you will likely get a better exchange rate converting it in Saudi before you leave.

Victor Meldrew Jul 1st 2016 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11991026)
What are you planning on doing with cash in Saudi riyals? It isn't a widely used currency in the UK and you will likely get a better exchange rate converting it in Saudi before you leave.

I plan to change it to ££ at Riyadh airport, but if this is not possible, will have to exchange it in UK at the bank.

I could exchange it in Dubai airport in transit but would have to do a double exchange SAR - AED - GBP

rebeccajo Jul 1st 2016 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 11991058)
I plan to change it to ££ at Riyadh airport, but if this is not possible, will have to exchange it in UK at the bank.

I could exchange it in Dubai airport in transit but would have to do a double exchange SAR - AED - GBP

I would definitely wait till I got to the UK and exchange then. Airport exchange is notoriously inflated.

Parnell Jul 3rd 2016 9:40 am

Not an expert here but have you considered tax status implications?

Concern I would have is on leaving the UK as tax resident as this is more complicated than many would think. Given you need to ensure a full tax year before new tax residency kicks in.

If you were going for more than 2 years no issue but depending on time of tax year leaving and returning?

I make the point because I remember some top 4 accountants getting it wrong when they took a stint in the Hong Kong office and returned with large tax liability.