Wikiposts

In Limbo

Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

SarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant futureSarahFM has a brilliant future
Default In Limbo

Although time is going quite quickly now, it seems to be going to slowly for me
I sold my house and moved out at the end of June and have been squatting with friends which brings its own unique challenges. I resigned from my job and gave three months notice which I was not contractually bound to do and am now regretting but at least I have done the decent thing. My ticket is booked for 13th October as I will spend a week with the parents before moving back.
The money side is sorted out and transferred across. The shipping of the few possessions I want to take with me is sorted out. There's really nothing left for me to do. The downside of being a control freak I suppose!

The only sad thing is that it is now time to start saying goodbyes to friends that live further away from me and I will be spending next weekend with friends who live up near the Kruger Park.

Other than that, October cannot come fast enough
Old Aug 16th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Limbo

Originally Posted by SarahFM
Although time is going quite quickly now, it seems to be going to slowly for me
I sold my house and moved out at the end of June and have been squatting with friends which brings its own unique challenges. I resigned from my job and gave three months notice which I was not contractually bound to do and am now regretting but at least I have done the decent thing. My ticket is booked for 13th October as I will spend a week with the parents before moving back.
The money side is sorted out and transferred across. The shipping of the few possessions I want to take with me is sorted out. There's really nothing left for me to do. The downside of being a control freak I suppose!

The only sad thing is that it is now time to start saying goodbyes to friends that live further away from me and I will be spending next weekend with friends who live up near the Kruger Park.

Other than that, October cannot come fast enough
Hi Sarah,

Not sure where your moving to....but the time will go by quickly so enjoy being with your friends and family and visiting your favorite places etc (a plane ride away if you ever need any of the above again) and before you know it the next exciting step in your life will soon be here. Good luck
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It'll go fast.
What made you give 3 months notice, that seems awfully long.
Dh wants me to write his resignation letter today, but what am I doing? Playing on here
Old Aug 17th 2013, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Leafykaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SarahFM. Where are you moving to? I am also from Johannesburg and moving to UK in January next year. I have only really made this final decision in the last month, after having worked out the logistics (I have two school-going children to consider too), so have not made any final plans as it would seem that there is only so much one can do from here and many of the essential issues can only be done once you are on UK soil - like property rentals, schools, bank account, etc.
I also gave a long notice period (4 months) because of all the work that has to be handed over - told my boss last week. Now there's no turning back

Would you mind telling me which shipping company you are using and the cost?

Also, when you say your funds are all transferred, did you open up a regular UK bank account or did you set up an 'International' account? Or what? I was hoping that with ABSA's link with Barclays it might be possible . They have given me details of someone to speak to, but I haven't phoned them yet.

At least we are having a bit of a cold snap to ease you in to the colder northern climate! Min dae ... hope they fly past for you.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 4:46 am
Just Joined

c.m.p. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey SarahFM!
I too am curious as to how you sorted the money situation ahead of time. Like you, I'm a bit of a control freak. My move is at least a few years, if not more, away. But I like to plan ahead and be aware of all the possible variables. I've read a lot about setting up certain types of accounts from overseas as well as using relocation companies to help sort that type of thing out. Thanks! And best of luck to you.