Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Life In USA experience last 8 years from UK quickie

Life In USA experience last 8 years from UK quickie

Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:29 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life In USA experience last 8 years from UK quickie

Originally Posted by drhewitt
Medicare only pays 80% of your hospital and doctor bills. You are reponsible for the other 20%.

IF you need a nursing home, Medicare will pay the first 20 days, you are reponsible for the rest.

My mother-in-law found out the hard way when she needed a nursing home for two months. We managed to get Medicaid but you have to be dirt poor to get that and have no more than $2,000 in resources.
Are nursing homes free in the UK?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Are nursing homes free in the UK?
Medical and rehabilitation nursing homes are, yes, social nursing homes to put you to bed and feed etc, etc are not - if you have the money to pay you have to pay until you run out. Then they are free.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you still aren't getting it. You can have the best insurance there is, but if you have a pre-existing condition they won't cover it.

They don't have to pay if they think treatment will be too expensive. If any of you here have watched Sicko, you will know that insurance companies are about profit - they will look for a way not to pay. It costs them money to pay and that means shareholders lose.

I am self-employed, therefore I have to pay $762 for a private plan which covers my family. I can have doctor's visits covered to a maximum of $700 year, $500 in lab fees, a $500 co-payment if I need the hospital (of which only 90 days will be covered)

For two blood samples, this is what it "costs" to analyze my bloodwork during a recent visit to my doctor. Personal information has been removed. The doctor used an outside laboratory. The health insurer sent me this explanation of benefits.

Look at the massive markup on the fee charged and then see how much they actually get from Horizon healthcare.

If you're uninsured, you will pay the full mark up cost.

Provider Name: LABORATORY CORP OF AMERICA

Total Charge Amount: $1,082.00
Total Payment Amount: $161.00
Paid To: PROVIDER
Hell that was cheap...after my annual check-up the bloodworks cost $4K.

BTW I believe if you join a company group healthcare plan preconditions must be covered. It's a personal plan where you run into problems.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

BTW I believe if you join a company group healthcare plan preconditions must be covered. It's a personal plan where you run into problems.
true.

did you know John McCain's health policy is to do away with group employer sponsored plans.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Medicare only pays 80% of your hospital and doctor bills. You are reponsible for the other 20%.

IF you need a nursing home, Medicare will pay the first 20 days, you are reponsible for the rest.

My mother-in-law found out the hard way when she needed a nursing home for two months. We managed to get Medicaid but you have to be dirt poor to get that and have no more than $2,000 in resources.
This study reckons on $225,000 out of pocket medical expenses for the average retiree utilizing Medicare:

http://www.emeritihealth.org/taxexem...mates_2008.pdf
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS is a superior system to the American system, and I don't think anyone informed by anything other than the Daily Hate would argue otherwise. How it stands up to part-private/part-public systems like France and Australia is another story.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jadm51
year 1 - (I'm now 51 by the way, not an easy age for a male in the states)
met USA spouse on holiday, married moved to USA , got work 8 months later after long wait for permit.

year 2 - 7 (approaching 8 years 2008)
Moved to Florida from New England, heat so bad here got sick, found work, endured 3 hurricanes and lost 2 homes to them in 2 years. Pay much lower work wise than north.

year 4 we were robbed home-wise twice after sorting ourselves out losing everything to hurricaines.

Year 5 company downsized had to take a lower pay job which took near 1 year of looking and living off unemployment and barely eating and getting by. Rent was raised high enough we had to move once again.

year 6-7 wife became so ill needed hospitalization, was tossed out of more than 3 as we had no private health care and she ended up in a wheelchair we had to beg for as you cant get medical assistance here to speak of so we couldnt afford one on my wages.

Lost my job to another downsize, were homeless within 3 months in car as jobs were so scarce in south Florida. Applied for but got NO help as pay was so shoddy ( I am retail management trained, had some college also).

Here we are in year 8 now and desperatly wanting to go back to UK, we have finally managed to obtain me another management job but only earn enough to afford a 1 room flat, no health care through work, wife still ill and cant even get medical here, eating a good meal is a luxury and we live in a cheap rent area prevalent with drug use.

Life here in the states, at least where we live is nothing more than sham and no way anyone should have to live. Its all been downhill since arriving years ago. Save to fly back home for wife and our dog is a hardship but a necessary one because if we stay any longer I could lose my wife healthwise!

One thing I did have back home I have a hard time keeping here in the states - hope.

As a male and husband life here is very difficult to say the least, even with my schooling credentials, ect and saving enough to leave is now a huge hurdle. My British passport to renew here is in the hundreds as apposed to the UK and wifes spouse visa is over 1000.US, then the air fair here is NUTS and getting higher.
In the end we will have to pack a bag each and leave our belongings behind jus to get back to the uk money-wise if we are lucky!
id never move here again. :curse:

Oh by the way: one thing i WAS able to get after all my hard work here, put on an antidepressent !!
isnt that jolly? ugh.
what you have expearienced is everyones nightmare who comes to live here and as you have written it can happen .

I wish you all the best .
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
The NHS is a superior system to the American system, and I don't think anyone informed by anything other than the Daily Hate would argue otherwise. How it stands up to part-private/part-public systems like France and Australia is another story.
i have just spent some yime in OZ ,my sister is a nurse and she has said the NHS is the best as far knowing that you will be taken care of , the quality of the care is another question /

i know that the quality here is great if you have the insurance to pay for it .
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionaskye
i have just spent some yime in OZ ,my sister is a nurse and she has said the NHS is the best as far knowing that you will be taken care of , the quality of the care is another question /

i know that the quality here is great if you have the insurance to pay for it .
The French/Australian systems of private-public are the future though. The 100% public stuff like NHS or the Canadian ones are starting to creak and leak, frankly, and both nations regularly report the most unacceptable waiting lists. The infrastructure just isn't there, and the populations are too big. France regularly gets "best health care system" in surveys, so this is what the UK must copy.

The US just had to get real and start organising a proper public provision, and realise it doesn't make them communists if they do so.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:29 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jadm51
year 1 - (I'm now 51 by the way, not an easy age for a male in the states)
met USA spouse on holiday, married moved to USA , got work 8 months later after long wait for permit.

year 2 - 7 (approaching 8 years 2008)
Moved to Florida from New England, heat so bad here got sick, found work, endured 3 hurricanes and lost 2 homes to them in 2 years. Pay much lower work wise than north.

year 4 we were robbed home-wise twice after sorting ourselves out losing everything to hurricaines.

Year 5 company downsized had to take a lower pay job which took near 1 year of looking and living off unemployment and barely eating and getting by. Rent was raised high enough we had to move once again.

year 6-7 wife became so ill needed hospitalization, was tossed out of more than 3 as we had no private health care and she ended up in a wheelchair we had to beg for as you cant get medical assistance here to speak of so we couldnt afford one on my wages.

Lost my job to another downsize, were homeless within 3 months in car as jobs were so scarce in south Florida. Applied for but got NO help as pay was so shoddy ( I am retail management trained, had some college also).

Here we are in year 8 now and desperatly wanting to go back to UK, we have finally managed to obtain me another management job but only earn enough to afford a 1 room flat, no health care through work, wife still ill and cant even get medical here, eating a good meal is a luxury and we live in a cheap rent area prevalent with drug use.

Life here in the states, at least where we live is nothing more than sham and no way anyone should have to live. Its all been downhill since arriving years ago. Save to fly back home for wife and our dog is a hardship but a necessary one because if we stay any longer I could lose my wife healthwise!

One thing I did have back home I have a hard time keeping here in the states - hope.

As a male and husband life here is very difficult to say the least, even with my schooling credentials, ect and saving enough to leave is now a huge hurdle. My British passport to renew here is in the hundreds as apposed to the UK and wifes spouse visa is over 1000.US, then the air fair here is NUTS and getting higher.
In the end we will have to pack a bag each and leave our belongings behind jus to get back to the uk money-wise if we are lucky!
id never move here again. :curse:

Oh by the way: one thing i WAS able to get after all my hard work here, put on an antidepressent !!
isnt that jolly? ugh.
Yeah the health insurance thing here in the States is a nightmare. The insurance rates at the company I work at have increased 90% in the almost 6 years I have been there. I am not making that up, the H.R. manager who works in the same office as I do is the one who has to deal with all the employee complaints when he tells them every year we have to switch insurance companies yet again.
90%. How can that be legal? It costs people thousands to have a baby and that's with insurance. And God help you if you get cancer or anything.

I used to work for a company that fought insurance companies who refused to pay hospital bills and the excuses and red tape they would tie things up in to make people drop claims is nauseating.
I have it straight from the people who fight all the big insurance companies, and these are lawyers, and some I became good friends with, that they came across cases where people actually died while still trying to get insurance to cover treatment they desperately needed but for one reason or another the insurance company denied.

Many of the hospitals do have to write off a lot of bills too because the patients can't pay. Plus the doctors have to have such huge insurance coverage against being sued for absolutely anything, that is part of the problem.
Hey, another instance of insanity. I used to live in an apartment that was pretty close to a 7-11. One of our neighbours was at the 7-11 and left his car running whilst he ran in for something. Some opportunistic car thief jumped in the car and drove off.
He crashed the car, injured himself and then SUED the bloke who's car he stole for his injuries, stating that it was his fault because he left the keys in the car.
And what about the woman who scalded herself with her McDonalds coffee and then sued McDonalds because the coffee was hot.

Those are the things I hate about America.
America MAY well be the land of opportunity, and you do have bigger houses, cars (and people), but for many it is not as good as it's cracked up to be.
The weather IS warmer. But at the end of the day, there are more important things than having sunny weather every day.

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Aug 9th 2008 at 12:53 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that some of you might have problems with health insurance in the US but I have to give the otherside of this. My husband works full time and we have blue cross insurance. Last year I had my gall bladder out. The treatment was excellent. I went in as an emergency and had test done to make sure it was not something to do with my stomach. I was admited on Saturday night by Monday afternoon I had my operation and was back in my bed. I was well looked after. My stay was 4 days and my husbands insurance paid all but $40.
I had follow up visits and would not complain about any of it..
My husband needs a knee replacement. When we get back from our holiday he is going in to have it done. No waiting he will have it done in October.
My sister in the Uk had to wait nearly two years to get her knee replacement done. She then had to go back and have it done again because it was done wrong.
When I had my first child in the Uk I had a massive infection which nearly killed me I kept telling them I was ill but they just ignored me. In the end they sent for an outside consultant who immediately knew what the problem was and gave them hell.
So although their are many problems with the US health care I think that the problem is not just associated with the US.
Many people in the UK pay for private insurance. My neice and her family do. They have a problem because they have a child with diabetis this is known as a pre-existing condition with private inurance companies so if they wish to change insurance they find it hard to do. They had to go privately to get him a pump the NHS thought it was too expensive and not necessary. They were not the ones sticking a needle in themselves 6 times a day. Thats why they went private.
My sister in law was having chemo therapy at a cancer centre she had to travel over 1 hour to get to. The last treatment she had they forgot about her she was left plugged into a maching. She kept ringing the buzzer but no one came. A man that worked at the hospital came in and asked her could he help. He unplugged her and she left. Not the best of attention.
I am telling you this to let you know that you can find bad things were ever you go.
So while I do want to go home to live I am not doing it because of bad medical treatment.

Jadm51.. Did you have no house insurance on the houses you lost in the huricanes or theft insurance....
I dont know were you are in Florida but were we are no one is tossed out of hospital for not paying a bill. They would be afraid of being sued.
They even have a notice up in the hospital foyer that states no one will be turned away because of no insurance.
Why do you think people get annoyed about illegals immigrants. They walk into hospitals and get healthcare with no chance of the hospital getting paid back.
If you lost your job to downsizing did you not get unemployement benefits.
I think if I had been you I would have returned to the UK after the 1st 2 years. Why did you stay in Florida.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I realize that some of you might have problems with health insurance in the US but I have to give the otherside of this. My husband works full time and we have blue cross insurance. Last year I had my gall bladder out. The treatment was excellent. I went in as an emergency and had test done to make sure it was not something to do with my stomach. I was admited on Saturday night by Monday afternoon I had my operation and was back in my bed. I was well looked after. My stay was 4 days and my husbands insurance paid all but $40.
I had follow up visits and would not complain about any of it..
My husband needs a knee replacement. When we get back from our holiday he is going in to have it done. No waiting he will have it done in October.
My sister in the Uk had to wait nearly two years to get her knee replacement done. She then had to go back and have it done again because it was done wrong.
When I had my first child in the Uk I had a massive infection which nearly killed me I kept telling them I was ill but they just ignored me. In the end they sent for an outside consultant who immediately knew what the problem was and gave them hell.
So although their are many problems with the US health care I think that the problem is not just associated with the US.
Many people in the UK pay for private insurance. My neice and her family do. They have a problem because they have a child with diabetis this is known as a pre-existing condition with private inurance companies so if they wish to change insurance they find it hard to do. They had to go privately to get him a pump the NHS thought it was too expensive and not necessary. They were not the ones sticking a needle in themselves 6 times a day. Thats why they went private.
My sister in law was having chemo therapy at a cancer centre she had to travel over 1 hour to get to. The last treatment she had they forgot about her she was left plugged into a maching. She kept ringing the buzzer but no one came. A man that worked at the hospital came in and asked her could he help. He unplugged her and she left. Not the best of attention.
I am telling you this to let you know that you can find bad things were ever you go.
So while I do want to go home to live I am not doing it because of bad medical treatment.

Jadm51.. Did you have no house insurance on the houses you lost in the huricanes or theft insurance....
I dont know were you are in Florida but were we are no one is tossed out of hospital for not paying a bill. They would be afraid of being sued.
They even have a notice up in the hospital foyer that states no one will be turned away because of no insurance.
Why do you think people get annoyed about illegals immigrants. They walk into hospitals and get healthcare with no chance of the hospital getting paid back.
If you lost your job to downsizing did you not get unemployement benefits.
I think if I had been you I would have returned to the UK after the 1st 2 years. Why did you stay in Florida.

I think that your experience is down to your husband having a good job and good benefits with his job (i.e. a top healthcare plan), which will of course only be around for the fruition of your husband's job with that particular company. We have our own business and our health insurance (for a good one) is close to $900 this year per month, (the new quote we received), just because we own a business we are penalised, which is ridiculous. So, yes it sounds like you have got great coverage, but don't forget most people DON't and most people DON't have any health coverage at all, so they hence don't hve great experiences here because of that. I would much prefer to have my own business rather than working for somebody else as I've never worked for anybody else and always had my own business, BUT don't see why I shoudl be penalised for that.