Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Life in the United Kingdom

Life in the United Kingdom

Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:22 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in the United Kingdom

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I'd love to hear Sir Humphrey's take on the citz test, wouldn't you?
Not half! Probably something like:

"You see, by this age the average UK-born Brit has already paid for a year's salary and six month's of my pension. These poor immigrants are, unfortunately, in arrears - a terrible position to be in. This is just one of many, actually rather painless, schemes that we've created to help them to catch up."
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Minister.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:55 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Not half! Probably something like:

"You see, by this age the average UK-born Brit has already paid for a year's salary and six month's of my pension. These poor immigrants are, unfortunately, in arrears - a terrible position to be in. This is just one of many, actually rather painless, schemes that we've created to help them to catch up."
You missed at least two "nothwithstanding"s, four "nevertheless"s and one "concocomitant", but otherwise not bad!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 7:00 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

You missed at least two "nothwithstanding"s, four "nevertheless"s and one "concocomitant", but otherwise not bad!
Ta.

Actually, I think I may have missed out an "exigencies" as well.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

12 out of 24.......don't care, have the passport!! I sat and read the US test over and over again, hardly got any Q's asked as the guy was more interested that my wifes family are from Louisiana, and my Father in Law was a Captain in the Airborne. It was hysterical, I said are you going to ask me about the 13 original colonies? He said, I only ask that to people who piss me off, Haha!! Anyway, I doubt I am going anywhere else to live, so I'm not going to have to take any more tests...hopefully!!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Floridared
12 out of 24.......don't care, have the passport!! I sat and read the US test over and over again, hardly got any Q's asked as the guy was more interested that my wifes family are from Louisiana, and my Father in Law was a Captain in the Airborne. It was hysterical, I said are you going to ask me about the 13 original colonies? He said, I only ask that to people who piss me off, Haha!! Anyway, I doubt I am going anywhere else to live, so I'm not going to have to take any more tests...hopefully!!
The interviewer said to my daughter 'I see you're taking American Studies...so I won't need to ask you any questions because you'll know all the answers'.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

13/24-FAILED!

The US citizenship test was way easier. What the hell IS a quango?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

What about composing some really important citizenship questions eg:

1. What color suited HM the Queen Mother the best?
a) Lilac
b) Lemon yellow
c) Pale blue
d) All of the above and more, God bless her! Norman Hartnell couldn't
put a foot wrong.

2. A number 267 bus will take you to:
a) Hounslow
b) Hell
c) Hampton Court

3. Fill in the blank: "Ticka Ticka Timex___________
a) Call the bomb squad!
b) Tra la la
c) I prefer Rolex
Old Jul 10th 2009, 5:24 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
13/24-FAILED!

The US citizenship test was way easier. What the hell IS a quango?
Quasi-Atonomous Non-Governmental Organisation.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

a crap shoot in other words?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

NotworkSte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by porvera
Never heard of "Ulster Scots"
Porvera
Unfortunately I have as it is my accent! (and it's pretty bad)

Got 11/24 (46%) oops...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Aka: BALOBUC meaning Basically A Load Of Bureaucratic Crap
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
What about composing some really important citizenship questions eg:

1. What color suited HM the Queen Mother the best?
a) Lilac
b) Lemon yellow
c) Pale blue
d) All of the above and more, God bless her! Norman Hartnell couldn't
put a foot wrong.

2. A number 267 bus will take you to:
a) Hounslow
b) Hell
c) Hampton Court

3. Fill in the blank: "Ticka Ticka Timex___________
a) Call the bomb squad!
b) Tra la la
c) I prefer Rolex
Trick question, Hounslow and Hell are the same place.

Like Hull, Hell and Halifax