Life was good....

Old May 3rd 2011, 1:22 am
Just Joined

khunhippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life was good....

until last month when my Thai wife died. I have been living in Thailand since 2002. I do have a small war pension but that is not enough to survive on and have no work. My retirement pension does not start for over 2 years. My wife did have a plot of lane which contracts were exchanged and deposit paid prior to her death but under Thai law, that land goes back to the family because she had it before she married me. The sale came at a good time for us, my savings are gone and the proceeds of that land would have bought us a small house and business but that's all gone now.
I am 62 and too old to find employment here and do not have the necessary qualifications either. I have no assets either here or in the UK, can just about scrape the airfare to get back to, the UK but what thenm? None of my daughters will, put me up, neither will family or friends!
What do I have to do when I return to the UK regarding housing, funds, job, etc.?
HELP!
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life was good....

If you are really going to be completely stuck on arrival with no funds and nowhere to go, your best bet would probably be someone like the Salvation Army. They could sort out the emergency accommodation and assist with benefits. That will likely be quite difficult so the more help you get the better.

The Local Authority for wherever you go would be responsiible for emergency housing and that could well be a Salvation Army Hostel anyway. Could also be other places too, but the advantage of the Salvation Army would be other support as well as assistance through the benefits stuff.

If you could have some funds on arrival, so much the better then you could check around the area you get to for other advice/support agencies.

Maybe there are some useful posts in the over 50s threads.

You could do a lot worse than to head for Bristol, at least initially. There's a great network there. Ultimately it may be that a particular local authority is responsible for you and that's where you should be - one you have connections with. You could also head there first and there might also be a good network there too.

If you have somewhere in mind, a search on advice centres for that area before you go would be useful.

What about the Veterans Welfare Service?
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:16 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

BristolUK sorry to hear about your loss.

Just an idea why dont you go try to meet another partner and share your expenses and maybe you wont have to return to the UK ?
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Panhandle

Just an idea why dont you go try to meet another partner and share your expenses and maybe you wont have to return to the UK ?
(I think you are mixing up the posters).

OP, could you live in Thailand on the pension you would receive at 65? Would you rather stay there given the choice (I note the title of the thread indicates you might prefer that)?

If so, is there no way to get through the next 2 years (would your wife's family not help you out)? I understand the pitfalls of Thai law regarding property (I had this explained to me by another BE member), but if her family benefitted from the land, woould they not give you somewhere to live just until you start receiving your UK pension?

If you come back, it sounds like you would be pretty much penniless, which in the UK is ironically probably better than having a few thousand in the bank, in terms of getting assistance. Maybe check the Salvation Army Web site - if you know ahead of time when you will be coming back, maybe you could have something arranged with them before you get back (that way at least you'd know where you are going when you get off the plane).

I'm sorry to hear your family are not being supportive. For many BE-ers, family are the reason they come back but that's not true for all - true friends and family are people who help you out in your hour of need, but many people have their own lives to lead and when the chips are down, their actions speak a lot louder than their words.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:10 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

His wife has only been deceased one month..........
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:02 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
His wife has only been deceased one month..........
Yes Beedubya, wasn't meaning to be insensitive only his situation at his age with not much collateral doesn't give him many options and i think perhaps he does not want to leave thailand.

Sorry Beedubya & BristolUK for the mix up and thanks dunroving for pointing it out

Been doing so much online research i think my eye's are going wobbly
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Beedubya & BristolUK for the mix up and thanks dunroving for pointing it out
Good job MrsBristolUK wasn't reading that post.