British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   "Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/lets-move-series-places-live-uk-735065/)

Englishmum Oct 9th 2011 1:34 am

"Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK

There are frequently threads started by expats who plan to return to the UK but not sure exactly where they might like to live.

"The Guardian" newspaper has an on-going series of articles with profiles and information on towns in the UK (and sometimes beyond). At the time of writing there are 181 towns listed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/series/letsmoveto

It's interesting to read the comments below the articles from people who live in or have resided in those towns, some positive and some negative, to get a better picture of the characteristics of the towns.

I hope it helps with the initial information-gathering! :)

trottytrue Oct 9th 2011 5:26 am

Re: "Let's Move To...." Series of Places to Live in the UK

Englishmum..I love the link I have bookmarked it really useful when you are not sure of where you want to live. Thankyou.

mikkijan Oct 9th 2011 7:06 am

I absolutely LOVE this, thank you so much for the link Englishmum

Beedubya Oct 9th 2011 8:49 am

Great link, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

curleytops Oct 9th 2011 11:02 am

Thanks so much for sharing this link! Hubby is currently looking for work and where we'll end up is very much anyone's guess at the moment as he's got cv's in all over the place. I've seen about 3 of the potential communities listed on this site already so this site will be most helpful. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Pistolpete2 Oct 9th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9665248)
There are frequently threads started by expats who plan to return to the UK but not sure exactly where they might like to live.

"The Guardian" newspaper has an on-going series of articles with profiles and information on towns in the UK (and sometimes beyond). At the time of writing there are 181 towns listed:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/series/letsmoveto

It's interesting to read the comments below the articles from people who live in or have resided in those towns, some positive and some negative, to get a better picture of the characteristics of the towns.

I hope it helps with the initial information-gathering! :)

We've been posting this Guardian article Let's move to on the Location Location Location thread for obvious reasons for the best part of eight months.:confused:

I posted the current item Tamar Valley yesterday morning.

Looks like it was a mostly wasted effort.

ukintexas Oct 11th 2011 12:37 pm

Great link - thanks. The second one on the list when I looked today was Peckham, South London :eek:

Dashie Oct 11th 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9665940)
We've been posting this Guardian article Let's move to on the Location Location Location thread for obvious reasons for the best part of eight months.:confused:

Maybe it's because there are over 1400 posts in that thread - I'll be honest and say that I haven't been in there because that's a lot of catching up to try and do.

I don't think it was a wasted effort though - if it was, there wouldn't have been as many posts or views. Maybe it would be possible to categorise them geographically or something?

NiHao Oct 12th 2011 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 9669819)
Maybe it would be possible to categorise them geographically or something?

I've been wondering the same thing! There is actually a ton of great info but it is so buried in a few huge threads on here that it can be hard to access, some individual location threads on particular areas/Counties could be good.

Maybe we could have an Introduction thread too, as a newbie here I find it hard to keep track of who is who.

chris955 Oct 12th 2011 4:17 am

I don't think it was wasted effort, as has already been said there are so many posts in that thread that many wont have the time or inclination to plough through it all.
Great link by the way.

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 (Post 9665940)

sallysimmons Oct 12th 2011 9:25 pm

I don't think something is a 'wasted effort' just because someone else posts a different link on the same subject somewhere else.

I do love these Guardian pieces and read them every week. I think that guy has the best job!