Lesbian Couple

Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lesbian Couple

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Lawyers are, of course, fair game....whatever their sexual orientation.
How interesting that you came out and said so, today. (even if tongue in cheek)

That is not true. Lawyers are not 'fair game' in this forum and I'd request that everyone please keep in mind that one's profession is not sufficient reason to be rude or otherwise in conflict with the site rules. Please treat others (in the immigration forums at minimum) with the sort of respect for opinion that you would like to be given at your own place of work or community involvement.

I am not alone in appreciating the professional perspective the participating attorneys bring to these forums. A few members with an overwhelming desire to 'poke' at the lawyers for their own amusement shouldn't spoil the experience for the majority.

/threadjack, sorry.

Any comments, questions or discussion about moderation should take place in private message or email with the moderators and/or administrator.
thank you
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Teachers in California are facing the same economic difficulties. However, with some of the economic stimulus package targeted for schools, there may be some possibilities. Further, depending on her work the UK citizen might be able to teach or have special training with special needs children. Teachers who can handle special ed seem to be having fewer layoffs, at least that is my impression here.

--J
NY used to have a whole department for recruiting H!b teachers....but that's gone by the wayside. Dunno if any other states have/had it. One of the biggest problems beyond the cost and shortage of visas is that it simply doesn't align with the semesters with an October start. Also for the OP, many teachers will have or will be expected to be working toward their masters
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marty J
I agree with fatbrit; getting married and then her moving to the UK would seem to be the easiest solution to the problem of you two being together (which I assume is the most important consideration), unless you have some other way to move to the US independently of your relationship.
Hi:

Actually, J and I just discussed a removal defense he assisted me with some years back. It raises an interesting possibility -- at the conclusion of the case, I think that if former INS had developed all the facts, my client would still have kept his green card. However, given that the burden was on the government, we had adopted an approach that we didn't have to volunteer information [If they don't ask, we won't tell].

This theory would have been great on defense, but neither J or I would recommend it for an affirmative application.

Furthermore deponent sayeth not.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That is not true. Lawyers are not 'fair game' in this forum
Quite right .. Its realtors mainly ...
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

So on 12 October, in Los Angeles, California, after 8 years as a couple, Chinese-American J and English Andrew were married in a private, civil ceremony at Congregation K**l A*** .... by Rabbi Denise *****!
Fantastic. That made me smile. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the detailed rundown of the current legislative situation and legal options for same-sex couples. Do you mind if I cut and paste it in to the wiki?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:57 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Do you mind if I cut and paste it in to the wiki?
No, not at all. (For the Wiki, I suggest redacting the section about my own marriage. It's irrelevant.)

--J
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The local news (after the "sex story and murder of the day, and before getting on to the promotions thinly veiled as news items ) contains mainly items about the mass lay-offs of teachers here in Phoenix. Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm and all that....
Teachers are getting shat on here in Mass too so I wouldn't hold much hope there...as for publishing, plenty of layoffs there too, but there are a few still around. Also if the pub work is more editorial in nature, there's a lot of tech firms that need documentation work done such as Lincoln MIT labs, Mitre etc, though they all require security clearances. Quite a few science labs looking for contract workers as well.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

NY used to have a whole department for recruiting H!b teachers....but that's gone by the wayside. Dunno if any other states have/had it. One of the biggest problems beyond the cost and shortage of visas is that it simply doesn't align with the semesters with an October start. Also for the OP, many teachers will have or will be expected to be working toward their masters
Cleveland OH brought in a bunch of teachers from India on H1s several years ago. A lot of media coverage about it at the time, but complete silence since. I have no idea if any of them are still here. One of my friends quipped that for the Cleveland city schools they'd have been better off recruiting Indian prison guards.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gay Marriage is not recognised in the UK.

Gay Partnerships are.

Would take a lot of heat out of the issue if the US followed.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:15 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

but neither of us is particularly religious, so we did not want a church wedding -- besides I look terrible in white and can't stutter step!

--J

Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:45 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Gay Marriage is not recognised in the UK.

Gay Partnerships are.

Would take a lot of heat out of the issue if the US followed.
Strangely enough, I was arguing this with SWMBO last night -- she's usually the liberal American and I'm the way-out-there radical. I thought your suggestion would be a good compromise given the history and all that, but she was having none of it. Either it's marriage for everyone or for no-one (i.e. union or partnership instead) was her argument under the strict separation of church and state. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile was her rationale. She's also got plans to rip the 10 commandments out of court rooms and replace them with the Bill of Rights. even if they are part of the historical fabric of the building. Her vehemence on this was quite surprising, and I had to calm down with a tumbler of JD.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:02 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

she was having none of it. Either it's marriage for everyone or for no-one (i.e. union or partnership instead) was her argument under the strict separation of church and state.
Although this is probably not the time or place for a long discussion of this particular issue -- too late, already, innit? -- it has long been a topic of debate among advocates for the gay and lesbian community that the goal should be to have the government get OUT of the business of "marriage" licenses. The argument is that "marriage is a patriarchal system which often results in the treatment of women and children as property." I do not know how far down the line I follow that in today's society, but it is certainly an arguable point of view.

Another argument is that society should not couple access to social security, medical care, tax deductions, insurance, educational assistance, and other societal benefits with marital status. The argument would be that a logical society -- who said society was logical? -- would divorce (!!) the civil status of marriage from access to such benefits. I think I buy this view a bit more.

I recently had a long discussion with someone inside the California Supreme Court. I suggested that if parties are going to fight about marriage -- gays and lesbians want it; fundamentalists don't want 'em to have it -- that the solution was known to every good parent: if they're gonna fight over the same toy, take it away from both of 'em. Then a state would indeed get out of the business of "marriage" licenses. California would stop "marrying" people. Everyone would get a "civil union," and if one wants to call it under the sacramental name of "marriage," and one chooses to solemnize the act in a church or with a clergy-person, then fine, so be it.

This approach is quite common in many catholic nations. One can have a ceremony in church, the angels can bless you, you can be anoited, showered in holy water...whatever. But until you REGISTER at the local registrar's office, then for CIVIL purposes and programs, you're not recognized as a couple. Conversely, you can register at the registrar's office, and whether you choose to have a ceremony another time at church or synagogue is YOUR choice, but the state would consider you as a couple from the date of registration.

Interesting changes in the air.

--J

Last edited by JCraigFong; Apr 29th 2009 at 3:05 am.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:07 am
Septicity

Although this is probably not the time or place for a long discussion of this particular issue -- too late, already, innit? -- it has long been a topic of debate among advocates for the gay and lesbian community that the goal should be to have the government get OUT of the business of "marriage" licenses. The argument is that "marriage is a patriarchal system which often results in the treatment of women and children as property." I do not know how far down the line I follow that in today's society, but it is certainly an arguable point of view.

Another argument is that society should not couple access to social security, medical care, tax deductions, insurance, educational assistance, and other societal benefits with marital status. The argument would be that a logical society -- who said society was logical? -- would divorce (!!) the civil status of marriage from access to such benefits. I think I buy this view a bit more.

I recently had a long discussion with someone inside the California Supreme Court. I suggested that if parties are going to fight about marriage -- gays and lesbians want it; fundamentalists don't want 'em to have it -- that the solution was known to every good parent: if they're gonna fight over the same toy, take it away from both of 'em. Then a state would indeed get out of the business of "marriage" licenses. California would stop "marrying" people. Everyone would get a "civil union," and if one wants to call it under the sacramental name of "marriage," and one chooses to solemnize the act in a church or with a clergy-person, then fine, so be it.

This approach is quite common in many catholic nations. One can have a ceremony in church, the angels can bless you, you can be anoited, showered in holy water...whatever. But until you REGISTER at the local registrar's office, then for CIVIL purposes and programs, you're not recognized as a couple. Conversely, you can register at the registrar's office, and whether you choose to have a ceremony another time at church or synagogue is YOUR choice, but the state would consider you as a couple from the date of registration.

Interesting changes in the air.

--J
Yep -- you're making exactly the same argument as my SWMBO. And I understand it and accept it.

But being brought up in a place where the church and state have been intertwined since the establishment of the divine right of kings, I would campaign vigorously to remove IND IMP off of our coinage were it still there but -- even as an agnostic at best -- could not get so worked up about the DG. I just accept it as something nobody believes in but is part of out history and tradition. And since it doesn't stop the country moving forward, there are plenty more important things to get up tight about.

Sometimes compromise is the best way to get forward even if the other side won't play the same game. The only important thing to move America forward is that homosexual couples get exactly the same rights as heterosexual couples. A small compromise by calling it something different is not the end of the world.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

But being brought up in a place where the church and state have been intertwined since the establishment of the divine right of kings, I would campaign vigorously to remove IND IMP off of our coinage were it still there but -- even as an agnostic at best -- could not get so worked up about the DG. I just accept it as something nobody believes in but is part of out history and tradition. And since it doesn't stop the country moving forward, there are plenty more important things to get up tight about
Yes - I agree. The irony, of course, is that despite the long standing connection between church and state in the UK it is, for the most part, almost entirely symbolic, nobody really cares, and the country is for all practical purposes far more secular than the US.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:20 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes - I agree. The irony, of course, is that despite the long standing connection between church and state in the UK it is, for the most part, almost entirely symbolic, nobody really cares, and the country is for all practical purposes far more secular than the US.
T'is a strange irony, isn't it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.