British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Leeds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/leeds-938388/)

Lion in Winter May 10th 2021 10:19 pm

Re: Leeds

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13004916)
I shudder to think, probably relates to discarded shoes.

Just noticed that autocorrect changed my original Mersey to Jersey!

I figured that you didn't mean Jersey, although in New Jersey the same would probably apply as with Mersey. I've seen some strange things on the Newark shore in my time.

Jerseygirl May 11th 2021 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13004916)
I shudder to think, probably relates to discarded shoes.

Just noticed that autocorrect changed my original Mersey to Jersey!

Sorted by Jersey…not by Mersey. :D

scrubbedexpat094 May 12th 2021 12:52 pm

I've only been to Leeds once (and that was back on New Year's Day 1985 and a long story!), so can't comment.
For god's sake don't go living in St. Helens (pronounced Sint Elens and known as shite elens to Wigginers and alike). I was born and bred in Eccleston, went to school in Windle and Rainford and those areas are okay but I'd never go back there to live. Avoid Widnes and Runcorn cos they stink of chemicals. Further north, areas around Rufford are lovely.
Cheshire has some beautiful villages but it's expensive.
I can recommend Burton-on-Trent area. Loved walking down by the river, Stapenhill gardens and the Ferry Bridge. Good access to Nottingham and Birmingham, especially by train, East Midlands Airport and Birmingham are accessible. You've got the Derbyshire Dales and Staffordshire Moorlands close by, The national Forest on your doorstep, lots of National Trust properties and Alton Towers. It was a great place to live and I regret leaving now. Property prices are fairly reasonable. Just a thought.

Lion in Winter May 12th 2021 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 13005690)
I've only been to Leeds once (and that was back on New Year's Day 1985 and a long story!), so can't comment.
For god's sake don't go living in St. Helens (pronounced Sint Elens and known as shite elens to Wigginers and alike). I was born and bred in Eccleston, went to school in Windle and Rainford and those areas are okay but I'd never go back there to live. Avoid Widnes and Runcorn cos they stink of chemicals. Further north, areas around Rufford are lovely.
Cheshire has some beautiful villages but it's expensive.
I can recommend Burton-on-Trent area. Loved walking down by the river, Stapenhill gardens and the Ferry Bridge. Good access to Nottingham and Birmingham, especially by train, East Midlands Airport and Birmingham are accessible. You've got the Derbyshire Dales and Staffordshire Moorlands close by, The national Forest on your doorstep, lots of National Trust properties and Alton Towers. It was a great place to live and I regret leaving now. Property prices are fairly reasonable. Just a thought.

We'll check out Burton on Trent, thanks. The charity I'm working for at the moment has a presence in St. Helen's, and they told me the area was struggling.

Jerseygirl May 12th 2021 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13005705)
We'll check out Burton on Trent, thanks. The charity I'm working for at the moment has a presence in St. Helen's, and they told me the area was struggling.

OMG St H is the pits…it’s been struggling for decades.

Lion in Winter May 12th 2021 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13005710)

Well, they didn't put it quite like that, but yeah.

scrubbedexpat094 May 12th 2021 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13005710)

Since I left infact :sneaky:!! :lol:
I belong to a FB page called "St Helens back in the day" and people wax lyrical about how great the town was back in the 70's and 80's. I'm perplexed by it because it was a dump back then. They put up lots of photos of the town and I sometimes wonder if I lived in the same town because I don't recognise that much. I did have a lovely childhood growing up in Eccleston though. We were surrounded by fields and used to go fishing for sticklebacks in the local brook. We would go shopping in Liverpool, Manchester, Bolton and Warrington, rarely locally.
Mum was a social worker in the town, definitely had lots of problems and it has only got worse from what I can gather.