Leeds

Old May 1st 2021, 11:16 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leeds

I'd be wary of moving to a place that had its castle some 240 miles from the city centre

Can't help with Leeds, but would agree that York is indeed a gem, speaking as a visitor, not a resident.

Good luck with all the 'fun' to come!
Old May 1st 2021, 1:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I like Leeds, the city centre is nice and green it has some very nice suburbs near the city centre and you are never far from lovely market towns and of course York (a city) is not far away and neither is the lovely Harrogate and the housing market for good/nice areas is better than other cities.
Originally Posted by brits1
If I had to stay "Up North" and be near a city then Yorkshire has everything you can wish for, excellent accessibility to countryside or Moors and the dales a fab coastline, a load of History and also a few good airports that are not a busy as Manchester but that can be a blessing lol and your not far from Hull and the ferries to Europe and of course it's usually drier in the summer the North West has a lot of rainy days. York is a real gem much better than say Chester in my opinion.

Thanks for the info. Yorkshire overall does look lovely, and so does York itself but that city seems a fair bit more expensive for housing, perhaps because it's just so picturesque. I do like cathedral towns. Also looking at Lincoln for that reason, and Norwich. Sitting slap bang in the middle, Leed does seem very accessible.
Old May 1st 2021, 1:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
I'd be wary of moving to a place that had its castle some 240 miles from the city centre

Can't help with Leeds, but would agree that York is indeed a gem, speaking as a visitor, not a resident.

Good luck with all the 'fun' to come!

Had a look at Kent, but the parts of it that aren't hideously expensive seem to be heavily over-populated with retirees. It's like Shaftesbury, in Wiltshire. My parents retired near there in their 60s, and said that in doing so they lowered the average age of the population by about 20 years. I would prefer somewhere a bit more mixed. Although we have looked at Hastings old town just along the coast. The sea is always nice to have.
Old May 1st 2021, 2:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
OH and I are both Southerners, me London and him Devon, but Devon is a bit expensive now and a bit far away. London is waaaay too expensive. The gf is from Liverpool, with one more year to go at LJM uni.

Yeah, feelers are going out everywhere really. One of the advantages of having lived in the US is that the distances in the UK seem so much smaller. Leeds used to look like a foreign country from London. It's only 2.5 hours on the train.
St. Leonards-on-Sea in Sussex. Or Hastings. Very reasonable prices, fabulous coast and pebbly beaches, gorgeous countryside on your doorstep.

Failing that, Campbeltown in Scotland. Unbelievably cheap property, whisky distilleries, a couple of decent supermarkets, convenient daily flight to Glasgow. Gorgeous beaches and walking.

Last edited by robin1234; May 1st 2021 at 2:41 pm.
Old May 1st 2021, 2:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Sitting slap bang in the middle, Leed does seem very accessible.
Why so modest? Go for both of them!
Old May 1st 2021, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be a bit too small & far out for you but My Mother is in the throes of moving to Richmond, north Yorkshire (to be near to my sister). About 50 miles north big Leeds and Harrogate (which is nice) is, I think, a little closer. I was impressed with the property prices, she has bought a super apartment for about £250 K. Seems a nice area. See link.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85939681

Old May 1st 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
St. Leonards-on-Sea in Sussex. Or Hastings. Very reasonable prices, fabulous coast and pebbly beaches, gorgeous countryside on your doorstep.

Failing that, Campbeltown in Scotland. Unbelievably cheap property, whisky distilleries, a couple of decent supermarkets, convenient daily flight to Glasgow. Gorgeous beaches and walking.
Hastings does seem to have its arty side, but also bucket and spade/fish and chips day at the beach side. Apparently Jo Brand lives there, or did. Mild weather, too. Housing much lower priced than I though it would be.

I looked at Campbeltown just now, and as you say stunningly cheap property and beautiful, but it fully qualifies as being "a bit far away". Really want those trains.

Why so modest? Go for both of them!
That's austerity for you. Can't even afford a press conference room.
Old May 1st 2021, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, just seen your comment about trains. Nearest train station to Richmond is Darlington, 22 miles away. Know nothing about Darlington!

Sorry 12 miles away, not 22!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; May 1st 2021 at 3:04 pm. Reason: Correction
Old May 1st 2021, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Might be a bit too small & far out for you but My Mother is in the throes of moving to Richmond, north Yorkshire (to be near to my sister). About 50 miles north big Leeds and Harrogate (which is nice) is, I think, a little closer. I was impressed with the property prices, she has bought a super apartment for about £250 K. Seems a nice area. See link.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85939681
Originally Posted by Expatrick
Ah, just seen your comment about trains. Nearest train station to Richmond is Darlington, 22 miles away. Know nothing about Darlington!

Sorry 12 miles away, not 22!

It does look nice. I just don't want to be a slave to the car.
Old May 1st 2021, 3:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about Leeds so am useless for that. As you know I'm a big fan of New Brighton on the Wirral, Little Lion's girlfriend can probably tell you everything you need to know but I'm available for question if needed. Where we lived in NB was a five minute walk to NB station, which got us into Liverpool in 15 - 20 minutes. You probably already know how much there is to do and see in Liverpool.

A walk down a steep hill and across a park brought us to Marine Point, with a great Morrisons supermarket, lots of restaurants, coffee shops, cafes, fish and chips, pubs and the Floral Pavilion, which had some surprisingly good live shows. Also buses to any part of the Wirral and also to Liverpool.

If you and your OH like walking, you can walk along the promenade from New Brighton all the way to the Seacombe ferry and get acquainted with the Mersey on the way. I never did the entire walk but it would be at least good hour (or more if you stop and explore along the way). By venturing off the prom we found all sorts of treasures - little cafes with lovely coffee and cakes, inside and outside seating, and if it's nippy they put out beautiful warm rugs on each chair at the outside tables. We also found some lovely little pubs on our walks, and the Cornish clotted cream ice-cream van on the prom is a must visit, even if it's perishing! You can also visit Fort Perch Rock, a defence installation built in the 1820s, and if you're feeling playful you can have a go on the pirate ship (if the kids let you near it). Vale Park is along the prom and it's a gorgeous, big park with tea rooms.

Gawd, I do go on. Just as well you didn't ask about New Brighton, I'd have been typing all night

Old May 1st 2021, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't know anything about Leeds so am useless for that. As you know I'm a big fan of New Brighton on the Wirral, Little Lion's girlfriend can probably tell you everything you need to know but I'm available for question if needed. Where we lived in NB was a five minute walk to NB station, which got us into Liverpool in 15 - 20 minutes. You probably already know how much there is to do and see in Liverpool.

A walk down a steep hill and across a park brought us to Marine Point, with a great Morrisons supermarket, lots of restaurants, coffee shops, cafes, fish and chips, pubs and the Floral Pavilion, which had some surprisingly good live shows. Also buses to any part of the Wirral and also to Liverpool.

If you and your OH like walking, you can walk along the promenade from New Brighton all the way to the Seacombe ferry and get acquainted with the Mersey on the way. I never did the entire walk but it would be at least good hour (or more if you stop and explore along the way). By venturing off the prom we found all sorts of treasures - little cafes with lovely coffee and cakes, inside and outside seating, and if it's nippy they put out beautiful warm rugs on each chair at the outside tables. We also found some lovely little pubs on our walks, and the Cornish clotted cream ice-cream van on the prom is a must visit, even if it's perishing! You can also visit Fort Perch Rock, a defence installation built in the 1820s, and if you're feeling playful you can have a go on the pirate ship (if the kids let you near it). Vale Park is along the prom and it's a gorgeous, big park with tea rooms.

Gawd, I do go on. Just as well you didn't ask about New Brighton, I'd have been typing all night
It really does look nice and Liverpool obv has a lot to offer. Where you describe is, I think, where the Travelodge is that I will likely stay in as soon as I can vist the LL so will def have a look around. They are living about 3 miles (don't see anywhere closer unless I find a decent air bnb - must have decent wifi for work) from there on Poulton Road near the Tesco Express in Wallasey. Just waiting for that early May announcement.
Old May 1st 2021, 4:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

It really does look nice and Liverpool obv has a lot to offer. Where you describe is, I think, where the Travelodge is that I will likely stay in as soon as I can vist the LL so will def have a look around. They are living about 3 miles (don't see anywhere closer unless I find a decent air bnb - must have decent wifi for work) from there on Poulton Road near the Tesco Express in Wallasey. Just waiting for that early May announcement.
Liverpool really is fabulous. Two of the most gorgeous and astounding cathedrals anywhere. Beautiful museums. We never got out to Port Sunlight, to visit the Lady Lever Gallery, not to mention everything else in Port Sunlight. Next time!
Old May 1st 2021, 5:02 pm

Liverpool really is fabulous. Two of the most gorgeous and astounding cathedrals anywhere. Beautiful museums. We never got out to Port Sunlight, to visit the Lady Lever Gallery, not to mention everything else in Port Sunlight. Next time!

I was just talking to my sister, and she's chafing at the bit to go and see the Lady Lever Gallery.
Old May 2nd 2021, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

The Wirral is really a very nice area, you feel like your kind of in an Island at times....as "scouce" said NB has a load to offer, I habe done the walk from NB to West Kirkby which is my favourite side of the Wirral"overlooking the estuary and Wales, I love to be able to see hills in the background and the Welsh vista from there is fab. If it were not for the weather we would of considered moving there ourselves (as I love to see the sea) but if that does not bother you then "The Wirral" or "Lytham" further up the coast would be great places to live. Norwich is just lovely and the city centre is very nice and your not far from the coast. Lincoln was nice but way to small for us the coast is also very nice, I like a city with history and cathedrals etc and either by a large river or near the coast) Worcester is very nice and cheaper than say Salisbury, Winchester. We visited Durham just before lockdown (we stopped off on our way to Northumberland) it seemed nice but a small city although you do have Newcastle for a bigger city about 25miles (ish) away. We use visit our son when he lived in Bristol and we loved Bradford upon Avon, Bath and neater the cost Portishead and Clevedon were very nice. Hope this helps
Old May 2nd 2021, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Yes I agree with brits1 about Durham. On the plus side, it’s on the main London to Edinburgh railway line, so easy access to Newcastle, York & Darlington - in fact London & Edinburgh are only a few hours. On the minus side, it’s too small to have a real city vibe. Cathedral and castle are good, though.

Thinking of Tyneside, if I was to move there I’d think seriously of Whitley Bay or Cullercoats. (I think neighboring Tynemouth is a bit expensive.) Great seaside & beaches and teashops, fish & chips etc. But also excellent buses and metro. (Tyne and Wear Metro.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.