Leeds

Old Apr 30th 2021, 10:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leeds

What's it like then? It seems to be very much up and coming, growing fast, yet still relatively affordable.

Anybody have any inside info? As a useless, sherry-drinking southerner I don't know it at all.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leeds

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What's it like then? It seems to be very much up and coming, growing fast, yet still relatively affordable.

Anybody have any inside info? As a useless, sherry-drinking southerner I don't know it at all.
It’s in Yorkshire so from me,

Seriously why Leeds? My preference is Cheshire. Some lovely little towns/villages. Near Manchester Airport and major motorways. Plus the weather west of the Pennines is less harsh than the east.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 11:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It’s in Yorkshire so from me,

Seriously why Leeds? My preference is Cheshire. Some lovely little towns/villages. Near Manchester Airport and major motorways. Plus the weather west of the Pennines is less harsh than the east.
Well I think that "why Leeds" is kind of the question in my thread really. I like cities and the things you can do in them. I do like pretty villages too of course, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere where you absolutely have to drive to get anything done at all. Leeds appears to be booming. Open to all recommendations though.

Good note on the weather up there though.
Old Apr 30th 2021, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think that "why Leeds" is kind of the question in my thread really. I like cities and the things you can do in them. I do like pretty villages too of course, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere where you absolutely have to drive to get anything done at all. Leeds appears to be booming. Open to all recommendations though.

Good note on the weather up there though.
I remember spring west of the Pennines is several weeks earlier than in the east. More rain west though. Yorkshire will always hold a special place in my heart….but I still prefer Cheshire. Easy access to the Lake District, North Wales, Staffs, Yorkshire etc and as I have already mentioned…a major airport…useful for those cheap get-aways.
Old May 1st 2021, 12:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I remember spring west of the Pennines is several weeks earlier than in the east. More rain west though. Yorkshire will always hold a special place in my heart….but I still prefer Cheshire. Easy access to the Lake District, North Wales, Staffs, Yorkshire etc and as I have already mentioned…a major airport…useful for those cheap get-aways.
I just Google'd cities in Cheshire, and was surprised by how similar Chester looks to Stratford-Upon-Avon. Not sure if that's the type of city you are looking for though Lion.

Can't help on Leeds either - moved around a lot as a kid, but only ever holidayed up that way (Peak District a few times)
Old May 1st 2021, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I just Google'd cities in Cheshire, and was surprised by how similar Chester looks to Stratford-Upon-Avon. Not sure if that's the type of city you are looking for though Lion.

Can't help on Leeds either - moved around a lot as a kid, but only ever holidayed up that way (Peak District a few times)
I moved to a Chester from South Manchester area after we got married. We met in Wilmslow where we both worked..hubby had a house in Chester. If we moved back to the UK…I would head back to the Chester surrounding area in a heartbeat. My sister lives in a village near Warrington…between Manchester and Liverpool…M6/M56 and near M/Chester airport…also a good location. Property prices are probably better than a little further in South Cheshire.
Old May 1st 2021, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

I moved to a Chester from South Manchester area after we got married. We met in Wilmslow where we both worked..hubby had a house in Chester. If we moved back to the UK…I would head back to the Chester surrounding area in a heartbeat. My sister lives in a village near Warrington…between Manchester and Liverpool…M6/M56 and near M/Chester airport…also a good location. Property prices are probably better than a little further in South Cheshire.

Had a look at Chester too, via RightMove UK. Honestly we aren't that picky as long as it's not somewhere depressing. Would mostly just be happy to be there. Affordability is crucial, other then that good transport links, and not needing a car to do everything. I do like town/city things, more things to do and a greater variety of people. I was curious about Leeds because it seems like a booming yet affordable city about which I know practically nothing. Be nice to have some open country relatively accessible, too.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 1st 2021 at 1:02 am.
Old May 1st 2021, 1:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Had a look at Chester too, via RightMove UK. Honestly we aren't that picky as long as it's not somewhere depressing. Would mostly just be happy to be there. Affordability is crucial, other then that good transport links, and not needing a car to do everything. I do like town/city things, more things to do and a greater variety of people. I was curious about Leeds because it seems like a booming yet affordable city about which I know practically nothing. Be nice to have some open country relatively accessible, too.
How long does Little Lion have to go at uni? If your UK move is not imminent, maybe best to wait and see where he lands up. That way you can choose somewhere within an easy traveling distance. I’m thinking most exstudents finish up living not too far away from the uni area.
Old May 1st 2021, 1:33 am

How long does Little Lion have to go at uni? If your UK move is not imminent, maybe best to wait and see where he lands up. That way you can choose somewhere within an easy traveling distance. I’m thinking most exstudents finish up living not too far away from the uni area.
He's got one more year for his BEng at Portsmouth, but he's been living in Liverpool almost all year doing uni online like most others. Not sure yet if he wants to go for an MA now or not. He likes Liverpool better, but of course the gf is there. He's only 21, so it's all anyone's guess really. We are going to attempt this for 2022, a yearish from now. It's a bit now or never really for assorted reasons mostly to do with finances, and I don't want it to be never. It's difficult, and Covid doesn't help. Many lists to be made. The mother of all lists.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 1st 2021 at 1:39 am.
Old May 1st 2021, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

He's got one more year for his BEng at Portsmouth, but he's been living in Liverpool almost all year doing uni online like most others. Not sure yet if he wants to go for an MA now or not. He likes Liverpool better, but of course the gf is there. He's only 21, so it's all anyone's guess really. We are going to attempt this for 2022, a yearish from now. It's a bit now or never really for assorted reasons mostly to do with finances, and I don't want it to be never. It's difficult, and Covid doesn't help. Many lists to be made. The mother of all lists.
Full disclosure…if we moved back hubby would like somewhere on the south coast…even though he is a born and bred Woolyback. Not me…I would want to go somewhere safe…somewhere I know…which would be Cheshire.

LL is your only child…I can relate to that. If I were in your shoes I would seriously look in the Merseyside/Cheshire area. I would also put feelers out throughout the UK.

Where is LL’s girlfriend from?
Old May 1st 2021, 2:19 am

Full disclosure…if we moved back hubby would like somewhere on the south coast…even though he is a born and bred Woolyback. Not me…I would want to go somewhere safe…somewhere I know…which would be Cheshire.

LL is your only child…I can relate to that. If I were in your shoes I would seriously look in the Merseyside/Cheshire area. I would also put feelers out throughout the UK.

Where is LL’s girlfriend from?

OH and I are both Southerners, me London and him Devon, but Devon is a bit expensive now and a bit far away. London is waaaay too expensive. The gf is from Liverpool, with one more year to go at LJM uni.

Yeah, feelers are going out everywhere really. One of the advantages of having lived in the US is that the distances in the UK seem so much smaller. Leeds used to look like a foreign country from London. It's only 2.5 hours on the train.
Old May 1st 2021, 3:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We are going to attempt this for 2022, a yearish from now. It's a bit now or never really for assorted reasons mostly to do with finances, and I don't want it to be never. .
I hear you. I really hope you guys make it back.
Old May 1st 2021, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hear you. I really hope you guys make it back.
You too, Bevs, you too, if that's what you want.
Old May 1st 2021, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I like Leeds, the city centre is nice and green it has some very nice suburbs near the city centre and you are never far from lovely market towns and of course York (a city) is not far away and neither is the lovely Harrogate and the housing market for good/nice areas is better than other cities.
Old May 1st 2021, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to stay "Up North" and be near a city then Yorkshire has everything you can wish for, excellent accessibility to countryside or Moors and the dales a fab coastline, a load of History and also a few good airports that are not a busy as Manchester but that can be a blessing lol and your not far from Hull and the ferries to Europe and of course it's usually drier in the summer the North West has a lot of rainy days. York is a real gem much better than say Chester in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.