Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving the USA, what do I need to wrap up here?

Leaving the USA, what do I need to wrap up here?

Old Jan 20th 2018, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough
Default Leaving the USA, what do I need to wrap up here?

is there a list anywhere of things I need to do to wrap up my life in the US before moving back to the UK?
I'm not sure who I need to notify (IRS, Social Security etc.) and want to make sure i'm leaving everything in order, as i'm going to have to leave in a month. Of course HR hadn't a clue!

Also, what about the other way round - incoming to the UK, except getting back on the electoral roll?

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the USA, what do I need to wrap up here?

Have you browsed the wiki on returning to the UK?

Category:Moving Back to the UK : British Expat Wiki
Old Jan 21st 2018, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicious B
is there a list anywhere of things I need to do to wrap up my life in the US before moving back to the UK?
I'm not sure who I need to notify (IRS, Social Security etc.) and want to make sure i'm leaving everything in order, as i'm going to have to leave in a month. Of course HR hadn't a clue!

Also, what about the other way round - incoming to the UK, except getting back on the electoral roll?

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated!
Besides electoral roll registering with GP should be done when arriving back in UK.

If not receiving social security don't see any reason to notify them. Biggest thing I came across was maintaining US mail address to efficiently receive future mail, especially if you re maintaining US bank account, credit cards etc. If you need to monitor your US social security account, seems easier to set up online account for access in US before you leave. Also depending on your situation consider getting a US Skype tel number or via Google. Annoying often if one having to deal with US on some matter and they require a US number for a text or whatever.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

First of all make sure your British passport is in date and you know your NINO. Do you have a driving licence and if so, who issued your current licence and where did you pass your test?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

i'm all good with PP and NINO. UK Licence was redone last year so all good there
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

i'm all good with PP and NINO. UK Licence was redone last year so all good there
In that case it's really just a matter of doing the same things you would do if you were only moving within the UK - registering to vote and registering with a new GP. Will you be renting or do you own property in the UK?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

I have property in London, so will be moving in there, all being well with the tenants moving out...
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:48 pm

I have property in London, so will be moving in there, all being well with the tenants moving out...
Sounds like you have a very simple move then. If your tenants pay their own bills and/or Council Tax then you'll need to get these switched over with your name and bank account details, but nothing you wouldn't otherwise be doing simply moving home within the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure that your US employers, banks etc have a forwarding address for 2018 tax documents such as W2, 1099’s etc that they will be issuing end of January 2019.

If you have 401ks, IRAs etc then get them sorted and in the hands of a brokerage who will deal with overseas addresses.

If you have worked in the US for 10 years then you will be entitled to SS so I would recommend setting up an online account with them before you leave so you can easily keep in touch and monitor your statements and payout estimates.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you go about getting your UK licence re-issued ? Did you do that on a trip back ? Just wondering if it's possible to get that done before arriving as my California licence will expire at the time I plan on going back.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Exp76
How did you go about getting your UK licence re-issued ? Did you do that on a trip back ? Just wondering if it's possible to get that done before arriving as my California licence will expire at the time I plan on going back.
ordered it online, used my mum's address which will need changing once i'm home.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:16 am

ordered it online, used my mum's address which will need changing once i'm home.
I wouldn't recommend you follow suit. It's not legal to do that.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's why I asked the question. Thanks to you and to Vicious B for your replies.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:43 am

That's why I asked the question. Thanks to you and to Vicious B for your replies.
Best thing to do is wait until you get back to the UK and pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. Complete it for licence exchange but crucially make sure you include your GB driving licence in the relevant box - if you do not have this number then call the DVLA to ask them. Post the form together with your US driving license and the DVLA will then issue you with a new GB photocard licence with all your previous entitlements free of charge.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Oh i'm sorry, I should have said, I never had a US licence. I just had a UK one, which I converted from paper to photocard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.