leaving nz

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of
Default Re: leaving nz

I just stumbled over this post as I was brousing through.

Boy am I glad I did. It is wonderful and as exaggerated as it may sound but just wonderful to have people singing off the same song sheet on a post.
I HATE it here always have and always will. I honestly do not mean to upset anyone here I really dont but I cannot understand what in hells bells people see in this country other than the scenery and the people.
It offers nothing in my eyes. I have older kids who hate it too and cannot see any vision or opportunities in this country.
The cost of living is scandulous, the education is a rip off, the lack of amenitites and the want to move forward is just awful. I am blown away at the poverty yes poverty in this flourishing country and believe me I know I work amongst it.
I am lucky we just got our PR for Canada and thank my lucky stars that I have that fall on and my kids move on this year and hopefully we move on early next year.
I feel for you guys that are not enjoying it and waiting for something else to happen to be able to move on (ie house sale).
As much as I wouldnt want to return to the UK I think I if something else hadnt of cropped up then I wouldnt have any hesitations to head home.
I feel at times I am sitting on the edge of the world and I am.

I honestly feel coming here and opened my eyes that the UK isnt all that bad. There are some beautiful areas to the UK as there is here but at least you know you have family and a whole lot of more opportunties.

I suppose as other posts have written, if you didnt give it a go you would always have the "WHAT IF". I have came I didnt conquer and I am going.

Good luck to all those that move on and I hope whatever life chucks at you that you survive it all.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:10 am
Just Joined

sidneyowes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kija
We're trying to get to NZ. Volumes could be written about what's wrong with where we currently are so as I see it we've nothing much to lose by giving it a try. I am worried about not being able to make ends meet there though, that's my biggest concern.

I think those of you who advise against selling houses are correct. It's best to have a plan B just in case.

I was just discussing this with my husband today and the both of us don't want to come back here if we do get out, our plan B would be somewhere else. So as you can see in our case, it's basically "anywhere but here!".

Utopia doesn't exist anywhere but I always believe there are things you can live with and things you can't and this is different for every person. Those of you who gave it a try and didn't find it right for you I still think at least you gave it a try, I too would hate living with "what if". You also tried something different and were exposed to a different culture, lots of good things in that alone. I'm a firm believer that money comes and goes and it's made to be spent, those of you who spent it moving to NZ to discover it wasn't for you didn't waste money, you spent money gaining new experiences and not having to live with "what if", money can be recuperated, "what ifs" eat away at you.

Almost forgot to say thank you very much everyone who shared their stories and experiences with us here and wishing you the very best of luck whatever your choices are
We sold our house in the UK before we came and honestly don't regret it. We really wanted to make a go of it and set up home here so needed the money from the house. I think if we still had the house back in UK we wouldn't have tried so hard to make it work and headed back sooner. At least I know that we did everything to make it work here. As far as house prices going up in the UK, there's very little difference between what they are now and what we sold for 4 years ago. I suppose it depends how attached you are to your house and how long you have lived there, but I wouldn't want to go back to the same house. Change is good; it depends how long you are away for, I suppose, as to whether you just slip back in and whether or not you want to! I don't think house prices are going up anywhere really at the moment, but big decisions to make.
Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

its not necessarily the house price change but the costs of the capital to travel both ways the loos you make on cars etc it cost us probarly 25k GBP to come dread to think how much to go back
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:14 am
Just Joined

It's a nightmare when you add how much it costs isn't it - just think of the number of fantastic holidays that money could have been used on! But at least you did it and are able to get back. I look at people who have moved here from countries that they have wanted to escape due to being unsafe and think they must have these feelings and experiences. Yet they probably don't have the option to go back.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I try not to look at it and money comes as goes as another post said
I have just found out we might not be able to go for another 6 months due to the dog am gutted I do not want another xmas here
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeyk
I try not to look at it and money comes as goes as another post said
I have just found out we might not be able to go for another 6 months due to the dog am gutted I do not want another xmas here
I hear ya about the money. Shame about the dog though...
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Well could try and save a little I suppose
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Trust me, there are plenty of Kiwis who feel like that. Aren't there something like 1 million kiwis living overseas? And I"m one of them. I flirt with the idea of going back occasionally, but I don't think I could long-term.

Going overseas...real overseas, not just Australia, which is kinda more of the same, just a bit bigger...tends to blow your mind coming from NZ. And once the mind is blown, there is no way to make it small again. I do know people who've gone back but they've made peace with the limitations in some way, the pull of family, professional development etc.
Yes i believe that close on 10% of the New Zealand born population live abroad,making it one of the highest expat populations in the world.
And agree fully with your comments with regards to the real overseas not really being Australia as the mind set is quite similar.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:28 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kooga61
No sweat glad to help.

But please could you tell me what gets under your skin about the UK. As I've said before, we have been away for a long time, and our idea of "home" may not exist any more in the real world.

Don't hold back, it is better to get info' warts and all.

By the way, and I've advised this before and it works. If/when you guys finally leave the UK. BEFORE you leave, write out a list of advantages and disadvantages for BOTH the UK and NZ. When you get here, put the list in an easy to find place (on the front of the fridge was mine). You will at some stage question your decision, and believe me you will. Look at the list, compare the lists, at a glance you'll see why you came out here, and why you left. Over time you might start to cross of some of the advantages/ disadvantages (eg - you thought that NZ would have a better educational system for kids....and it didn't. That sort of thing).

When you feel low, it helps polarise things. I don't think there are too many people who can honestly say they don't get homesick at some stage....it might take a while, maybe years , but it will happen.

Just one more thing to think about. Even if you can't wait to leave and don't think you'll want to come back, and intend to sell your house, bear this in mind. In our experience house prices (even in Auckland) for the last 10 years have NOT gone up at the same rate as house prices at home. In our case, the house we originally wanted here would have been about $200,000 and our house in the UK was worth £65,000. Now as I said before we rented ours out for 5 - 6 years, in that time the NZ property went up to $260,000, but our UK property was worth £147,000!!! Now I know we sold at the right time, but that shows you how things can vary (just bare in mind this is an example, and is area specific). Like us you could end up not having a mortgage just purely by holding on for a while.

I don't intend to sell my property here before we leave (although I've yet to talk this over with my lawyer or accountant). I intend to go back for a year or two (yes with my little list! lol) to try it out. I know I may loose a bit of money, but I'm determined that this, one way or the other, will be the final move I make.

Hope the advise makes sense, and you find it useful.

Live the dream, but keep your mind open as well as your eyes.

Kooga
Hi there,

Actually I'm not in the UK, we're in Egypt and like I said volumes could be written...

I did live in the UK in the 70's and it was amazing. I have heard that London has changed a lot but TBH I wouldn't really know. One thing my OH and I always wonder about is the large number of Brits wanting to leave the UK. I remember the UK very fondly, and it has breathtaking landscape and loads of positives. Perhaps it's the pull of the grass is greener, though I have to admit I tend to see the UK as being very green.

We've not much to lose, not very attached to my family, most of our friends have left, my OH's parents are in the US, our income though good doesn't allow for any luxuries, job satisfaction is zero, we don't have children nor intend to have any, we're very unsatisfied with quality of life here. As for our house the real estate market here is very strong at the moment and it would be foolish to sell, we'll probably eventually rent it out if we do get to NZ.

Your advice has been very useful and I thank you for it. I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for, best of luck with everything you do
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kija
Hi there,

Actually I'm not in the UK, we're in Egypt and like I said volumes could be written...

I did live in the UK in the 70's and it was amazing. I have heard that London has changed a lot but TBH I wouldn't really know. One thing my OH and I always wonder about is the large number of Brits wanting to leave the UK. I remember the UK very fondly, and it has breathtaking landscape and loads of positives. Perhaps it's the pull of the grass is greener, though I have to admit I tend to see the UK as being very green.

We've not much to lose, not very attached to my family, most of our friends have left, my OH's parents are in the US, our income though good doesn't allow for any luxuries, job satisfaction is zero, we don't have children nor intend to have any, we're very unsatisfied with quality of life here. As for our house the real estate market here is very strong at the moment and it would be foolish to sell, we'll probably eventually rent it out if we do get to NZ.

Your advice has been very useful and I thank you for it. I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for, best of luck with everything you do
Hi all, I've also commented on this post. So just out of interest where abouts in NZ is everyone living (those of you who are from here). I'm living Albany, North Shore.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Northern Suburbs Wellington hope to go back to Cornwall UK in the next 6 months
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:00 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I am married to a kiwi and also lived there for 2yrs. Even my husbands fills with dread at the thought of living there again!! He says he has outgrown it, which is the case for many NZers!
I also felt as if i was in gods waiting room. Good humour is not one of their strong points, and a fair few of them can be extremely narrow minded. I suppose being so isolated fromt he rest of the world might have somehting to do with it.
OH says that once he had left NZ and seen what the rest of the world has to offer, he really couldnt live there again, no matter how pretty the view from your window is!
I'm an expat kiwi, living in the UK. My parents cannot understand why my brother and i live here because they believe what all kiwis do that NZ is God's own and better than any other country in the world. Some of the rubbish they come out with about how the education system is better, things are cheaper there (yes they do believe that!), my mum tells me about all the refugees coming from Britain to escape terrorism!

At the back of my mind I think I might return to NZ, but that would be when I want to downshift and not do too much, although when I look at the lifestyles my parents have I would rather be here. I appreciate the welfare system and health care here that you do not get there. I appreciate being able to hop on a plane to Italy cheaply. I have a trip to France in August and to China in November. I have great amenities nearby, libraries, gyms, fantastic shopping, public transport that will get me anywhere in London I want to go, for free once I reach pension age. The weather in the Southeast suits me just fine. I prefer a heatwave that lasts 3 days, to one that lasts weeks. When it is cold in the winter I put the fire on, and stay cosy in my centrally heated double glazed house. I think British people are very friendly, if a bit quirky! I even love the fact that it is so multicultural. Yes there are bad sides, like heavy traffic and the negative press, but on balance I like it here. Funny enough, it is probably the fact that I can leave at any time that makes me appreciate it more.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm an expat kiwi, living in the UK. My parents cannot understand why my brother and i live here because they believe what all kiwis do that NZ is God's own and better than any other country in the world. Some of the rubbish they come out with about how the education system is better, things are cheaper there (yes they do believe that!), my mum tells me about all the refugees coming from Britain to escape terrorism!

At the back of my mind I think I might return to NZ, but that would be when I want to downshift and not do too much, although when I look at the lifestyles my parents have I would rather be here. I appreciate the welfare system and health care here that you do not get there. I appreciate being able to hop on a plane to Italy cheaply. I have a trip to France in August and to China in November. I have great amenities nearby, libraries, gyms, fantastic shopping, public transport that will get me anywhere in London I want to go, for free once I reach pension age. The weather in the Southeast suits me just fine. I prefer a heatwave that lasts 3 days, to one that lasts weeks. When it is cold in the winter I put the fire on, and stay cosy in my centrally heated double glazed house. I think British people are very friendly, if a bit quirky! I even love the fact that it is so multicultural. Yes there are bad sides, like heavy traffic and the negative press, but on balance I like it here. Funny enough, it is probably the fact that I can leave at any time that makes me appreciate it more.
So good to hear the other perspective. The only experiences I have heard is from young kiwis who go to London to work and live in over crowded flats so they can save as much money as possible before returning to 'God's own'. Sounds like you're having a great time travelling round and enjoying all the advantages on offer.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh

I would have written almost the same word to word a few years back when still living in Central London.
Have been living in Perth,over ten years now in the inner city,but how i miss London and all it has to offer.(21 years there)
Here is fine as it goes and we live well with overseas holidays every year although we also do keep to a fairly simple. style of living...but here is rather ho hum.Little of interest happens with somewhat limited diverse pursuits to partake in.
Will be going back to live awhile next year and if it isn't too far removed from the London i knew will give serious thought to returning there or close to in the not too distant future.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sidneyowes
So good to hear the other perspective. The only experiences I have heard is from young kiwis who go to London to work and live in over crowded flats so they can save as much money as possible before returning to 'God's own'. Sounds like you're having a great time travelling round and enjoying all the advantages on offer.
So very true but at the same time there is quite a large number of Aussies and Kiwis who far prefer the life on offer in London and not always young nor only there for the economic rewards,although those type are plentiful enough obviously.
Knew of at least over a dozen such people and heard of many more.
I returned to Australia at 22 (after going to UK at 12)and after about six months couldn't wait to get back to London. That was a long time ago but the views of a lot of the populace then seemed one hundred years behind.. talk about chav/boganville well it was alive and kicking then...at least on the surface vast changes have taken place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.