Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Canada Tax Question

Leaving Canada Tax Question

Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:38 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Leaving Canada Tax Question

Really need help on this and hoping one of you clever people can help
We have been so busy trying to get are heads sorted out over whether to go or not and then sorting pets out with quarantine/jobs and best way to go about it all. And had the worst xmas and New year possible, my mum died New Years day and my son nearly lost his son at birth on 27th dec. So i am sort of hoping their is someone out their that can mop my brow slightly here.

OH has got job offers coming out of his ears in the Uk, including his old boss. We now find are selves in the position that in the next few wks OH will have to leave and start work in the Uk. I however will have to stay till at least end of june with the kids and cats. And its just dawned on us what do we do about the tax man here in Canada???? Now we are aware we have to fill tax forms in , but not done that one before, so that in its self is bewildering to us. But i'm assuming as its Canada its not that easy
Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Leaving Canada Tax Question

sans, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. Hubbie's dad died last year on boxing day, and I appreciate just how hard it can be.
Happy to note that your grandson is well. It sure sounds like you've had a stressful time, and I hope it gets better for you soon.
As for the tax, I'm sure somebody better qualified to advise you will be along shortly. Hubbie uses H&R block. Can they sort it for you? Saves you the headaches, and it's not that expensive. We're hoping to get back hopefully this year if a personal injury claim is settled, and to be honest we'll just go through H&R block. Hubbie's already had words with them to ensure the Canadian Government can't have dabs on my injury award. It appears they can't Take Care.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

sans - truly sorry to hear about your mum

mandimoo recently asked a similar question and here is a link to the responses she got - I hope that helps - or gives you some direction. To be honest I'd think this is not the most urgent matter to sort out - I guess you can do a lot of it from the UK when you get settled - but it may be worth having a plough through the links in case you need to phone anyone or any department first for clarification - easier and cheaper whilst in Canada!

I really hope 2008 turns out to be a much better year for you Very best wishes.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:32 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
sans, I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. Hubbie's dad died last year on boxing day, and I appreciate just how hard it can be.
Happy to note that your grandson is well. It sure sounds like you've had a stressful time, and I hope it gets better for you soon.
As for the tax, I'm sure somebody better qualified to advise you will be along shortly. Hubbie uses H&R block. Can they sort it for you? Saves you the headaches, and it's not that expensive. We're hoping to get back hopefully this year if a personal injury claim is settled, and to be honest we'll just go through H&R block. Hubbie's already had words with them to ensure the Canadian Government can't have dabs on my injury award. It appears they can't Take Care.
Hi thanks for your wishes...my mum seemed fine when i left the Uk and altho i have 2 sisters, i was even then feeling quite guilty at leaving her. Not long after i arrived she was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and went down hill really fast. Is H&R block in Canada? i carn't tell if you are or not.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 6:36 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by ann m
sans - truly sorry to hear about your mum

mandimoo recently asked a similar question and here is a link to the responses she got - I hope that helps - or gives you some direction. To be honest I'd think this is not the most urgent matter to sort out - I guess you can do a lot of it from the UK when you get settled - but it may be worth having a plough through the links in case you need to phone anyone or any department first for clarification - easier and cheaper whilst in Canada!

I really hope 2008 turns out to be a much better year for you Very best wishes.
Thanks Ann will check that link out, as is often the case its the little things that can cause the biggest probs. With me anyway
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

sans, sorry I was vague. Yes we are in Canada (Ontario). H&R Block are a tax preparation services (franchised I believe).
Basically, for a fee they will submit all the required tax information for you. They will help guide you on what is required to submit your tax return, and complete all the necessary paperwork for you. Hubbie says it's around $70 off the top of his head. So it's not a great amount.
Plus if there are any problems they will sort them out for you, as per the fee agreement. Saves a lot of headaches.
Do a google for tax preparation services in your area. Hubbie says it is well worth the money.
The Canadian tax offices are also less likely to query tax preparation services, as opposed to D.I.Y.
I am so sorry about your mum. As I said hubbies father died boxing day last year (heart attack), and the following day his mum had a heart attack and was hospitalized for a few weeks, during which it was noted that her memory was particular bad.
Initially they thought she had vascular dementia, but after conclusion of all the tests, Alzheimers was diagnosed.
Yes, patients with Vascular Dementia do unfortunately die a lot quicker than those with Alzheimers.
I'm not sure which is the kinder though to be honest, as his mum still cannot grasp that her husband of over 50 years is dead.
Hubbie's sister is currently caring for the mum, but it is hard for her, especially as they were so close, and of course her personality is now disintegrating.
I sincerely hope things get back on track for you soon.
Take Care.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:50 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans, sorry I was vague. Yes we are in Canada (Ontario). H&R Block are a tax preparation services (franchised I believe).
Basically, for a fee they will submit all the required tax information for you. They will help guide you on what is required to submit your tax return, and complete all the necessary paperwork for you. Hubbie says it's around $70 off the top of his head. So it's not a great amount.
Plus if there are any problems they will sort them out for you, as per the fee agreement. Saves a lot of headaches.
Do a google for tax preparation services in your area. Hubbie says it is well worth the money.
The Canadian tax offices are also less likely to query tax preparation services, as opposed to D.I.Y.
I am so sorry about your mum. As I said hubbies father died boxing day last year (heart attack), and the following day his mum had a heart attack and was hospitalized for a few weeks, during which it was noted that her memory was particular bad.
Initially they thought she had vascular dementia, but after conclusion of all the tests, Alzheimers was diagnosed.
Yes, patients with Vascular Dementia do unfortunately die a lot quicker than those with Alzheimers.
I'm not sure which is the kinder though to be honest, as his mum still cannot grasp that her husband of over 50 years is dead.
Hubbie's sister is currently caring for the mum, but it is hard for her, especially as they were so close, and of course her personality is now disintegrating.
I sincerely hope things get back on track for you soon.
Take Care.
Big thanks for mopping my brow SG........sounds like you've had a treble dose of mis-fortune in the last year or so. My sisters keep telling me i wouldn't of recognized my mum. Its so bloody hard to know for sure the right thing to do in any situation, i was hoping to get back for her. Things like this sure bring home whats really important and all the reasons you want to leave for, in the first place loose any significance.
Hope this aint going to come in 3's we have already had 2 close deaths since i have been here and one close call.

Your SIL must be a gem must be so hard for her to cope with on a daily basis, i take my hat off to her. And hope you get sorted real soon.
Can i ask why you are going back, if thats not too nosey. Every day their seems to be at least one more person making that discission. The returning to Uk forum will soon be as big as the other forums
Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am really sorry things didn't work out for you Sans, it sounds like you have had a tough time.

Good luck and I hope everything settles for you soon.

Take care.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi sans, nahh your not being too nosey. It's just absolutely everything. Employment, Finances, Culture, Identity, 'Home'.
We have now lost 2 family members since being in Canada. Also since we've been in Canada (5 years), hubby has had heart problems (he's mid 40's), and now has a pacemaker. He has breathing problems and sleeps with a c pap machine, and he's just been informed after an arthroscope that both his knee caps need replacing.
For my part I suffer from reflex sympathetic dystrophy following a road traffic accident in the U.K. 2 1/2 years ago. I'd returned home to start work to get a mortgage, but I was involved in the R.T.A. I was a rear sear passenger, so nothing to do with me. Just broke a couple of bones that went on to develop crummy r.s.d. So painkillers are now the regime for me, although theres talks of blocks and cutting nerves in my neck I also recently had a pap test come back as HSIL....still waiting for the biopsy results. It just gets you thinking, I need to get home. Don't get me wrong the doctors here have been absolutely fantastic. We were lucky to get a G.P. and have benefits, because of all our health and drug costs. Home is Home. We of course also need to get back because of mother in law, who will come live with us, until nature decides otherwise. Just waiting on the personal injury claim, because with 10 dogs, the neighbors just will not like us!
Take Care.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:39 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Hi sans, nahh your not being too nosey. It's just absolutely everything. Employment, Finances, Culture, Identity, 'Home'.
We have now lost 2 family members since being in Canada. Also since we've been in Canada (5 years), hubby has had heart problems (he's mid 40's), and now has a pacemaker. He has breathing problems and sleeps with a c pap machine, and he's just been informed after an arthroscope that both his knee caps need replacing.
For my part I suffer from reflex sympathetic dystrophy following a road traffic accident in the U.K. 2 1/2 years ago. I'd returned home to start work to get a mortgage, but I was involved in the R.T.A. I was a rear sear passenger, so nothing to do with me. Just broke a couple of bones that went on to develop crummy r.s.d. So painkillers are now the regime for me, although theres talks of blocks and cutting nerves in my neck I also recently had a pap test come back as HSIL....still waiting for the biopsy results. It just gets you thinking, I need to get home. Don't get me wrong the doctors here have been absolutely fantastic. We were lucky to get a G.P. and have benefits, because of all our health and drug costs. Home is Home. We of course also need to get back because of mother in law, who will come live with us, until nature decides otherwise. Just waiting on the personal injury claim, because with 10 dogs, the neighbors just will not like us!
Take Care.
OMG!!!! You make me sound pathetic sending you a karma, not that it will do you much good..........but the thoughts their
How on earth are you going to get 10 dogs back to the Uk I'm have trouble sorting 3 cats expecially where flights are concerned .
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:54 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by smelly
I am really sorry things didn't work out for you Sans, it sounds like you have had a tough time.

Good luck and I hope everything settles for you soon.

Take care.
Thanks smelly its nice of you to say.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sans, Ta very much for the Karma. However I truly hope that you didn't feel that I minimised your own troubles, in any way. You certainly never have ever sounded 'pathetic'.
At the end of the day, the things that we go through are always relative to us, insofar as they touch us directly.
I empathised with you insofar as your loss with your mum, and that has been reciprocated. Karma coming back to you.
It's kinda strange that I actually received my biopsy results this am. Again HSIL, so 'hey ho, hey ho it's off for the leep I go'...
Any ladies reading this please go for your yearly pap tests. I hadn't had one for 5 years
Because both me and hubbie have had serious health issues, it kinda makes things crystal clear for us, insofar as what is actually important to us. Our priority is going 'home'. Canada is not my home, and the thought of getting old here...OK...older, just leaves me cold.
Best wishes sans, and have a safe journey home.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:11 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Sans, Ta very much for the Karma. However I truly hope that you didn't feel that I minimised your own troubles, in any way. You certainly never have ever sounded 'pathetic'.
At the end of the day, the things that we go through are always relative to us, insofar as they touch us directly.
I empathised with you insofar as your loss with your mum, and that has been reciprocated. Karma coming back to you.
It's kinda strange that I actually received my biopsy results this am. Again HSIL, so 'hey ho, hey ho it's off for the leep I go'...
Any ladies reading this please go for your yearly pap tests. I hadn't had one for 5 years
Because both me and hubbie have had serious health issues, it kinda makes things crystal clear for us, insofar as what is actually important to us. Our priority is going 'home'. Canada is not my home, and the thought of getting old here...OK...older, just leaves me cold.
Best wishes sans, and have a safe journey home.
.......No i didn't think that at all. That was my clumsy way of telling you that i was feeling for you Right or wrong i tend to write as i speak and i'm often read wrongly on here. It never entered my head really
I do wish you the very best and please feel free to PM me if it will help any or if you just want to rant
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

snas, your not clumsy at all. Will send you a P.M.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

OK sans. Now you now I'm not a regular poster. How to send a P.M.?
Pain med's are making my concentration poor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.