Leaving Canada tax?

Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Eshiels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Canada tax?

Is there such a thing? Im completely confusing myself the more I read about leaving. I know I’ll need to do a tax return before I leave in 2019, but will there be an actual leaving tax as well? I don’t intend to have any Canadian property left in Canada. I’ve sold my house already and will also sell my cars before we leave. Anyone recently moved back who can give me some information? Thanks in advance 😀
Old Sep 29th 2018, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Canada tax?

Departure Tax ? Where did you hear that one ?
Old Sep 29th 2018, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Departure Tax ? Where did you hear that one ?
As I was googling articles about leaving Canada and tax, I found various articles about “departure” tax. I just wondered if anyone who had moved back recently could give me some more information. 😀 I’ll be delighted for someone to confirm that if I have no property or possessions left in Canada I won’t have additional tax to pay!
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eshiels
Is there such a thing? Im completely confusing myself the more I read about leaving. I know I’ll need to do a tax return before I leave in 2019, but will there be an actual leaving tax as well? I don’t intend to have any Canadian property left in Canada. I’ve sold my house already and will also sell my cars before we leave. Anyone recently moved back who can give me some information? Thanks in advance 😀
When leaving Canada it is not about your Canadian Property only. At the time you leave Canada deems you to have sold up all your possessions WORLDWIDE! So if you have property overseas, shares and other assets in another country, they take it that you have sold up everything and they then want their capital gains tax on that. Your final tax return will include all this and that final sum will be what you pay tax on. We had a house in UK rented out for the time we lived in Canada. On arriving to Canada we luckily had a valuation and on returning 15 years later we got another valuation. The increase which was considerable we had to pay CGT on. This was divided between us and was at our base rate tax. You can defer it until you sell or redeem shares later but it is always hanging over your head.

However if you have no assets anywhere, you have nothing to worry about except doing your final tax for 2019.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So it is like Capital Gains Tax payable by those migrating FROM Canad to R.o t W ?
Old Sep 30th 2018, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by feelbritish
When leaving Canada it is not about your Canadian Property only. At the time you leave Canada deems you to have sold up all your possessions WORLDWIDE! So if you have property overseas, shares and other assets in another country, they take it that you have sold up everything and they then want their capital gains tax on that. Your final tax return will include all this and that final sum will be what you pay tax on. We had a house in UK rented out for the time we lived in Canada. On arriving to Canada we luckily had a valuation and on returning 15 years later we got another valuation. The increase which was considerable we had to pay CGT on. This was divided between us and was at our base rate tax. You can defer it until you sell or redeem shares later but it is always hanging over your head.

However if you have no assets anywhere, you have nothing to worry about except doing your final tax for 2019.
Thanks for this information. Appreciated.