Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving California for England after 16 years

Leaving California for England after 16 years

Old Sep 12th 2019, 5:06 am
Just Joined

GeorginaUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving California for England after 16 years

Hello; I have been going through exactly what you are going through. I am married to an American and we live in Long Beach, CA. When I first moved here just over 3 years ago I loved it but now I loath it. It's way too crowded here; the roads are in a terrible mess; there is traffic everywhere; there is no greenery; tea is awful; food is expensive and not as good quality as UK... and the list goes on. In the UK I feel life is more 'mellow' and down-to-earth. People are not too busy because the pace of life is not as fast as here. I don't know, it is just so different. I think there is more of a community spirit in the UK. Yes it has its problems also, but we are English - we are used to it - and it's home. Being near family is very important. And there are nice beaches in the UK - you will probably start travelling and re-discovering what a great country you left behind 16 years ago! We are hopefully moving back to UK next year (I lived in Loughton, Essex a while back!!). I hope all goes well.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
I guess I am writing this post because I need to write out my thoughts. Also, to know if anyone is or was in a similar situation.

Long story short, I moved to California 16 years ago from Essex, England to marry an American. We got divorced 4 years ago. No kids. Just 1 dog that I have now. I also have my US Passport and UK Passport.
Financially I have a nice little bit of savings and could move back to England and afford to not work for say 2 years. Obviously i'll want to work as soon as possible.

I live in Sonoma County(about 1 hr north of San Francisco) and its very beautiful part of America. But here is a list of my issues living here:
  • It's very very very expensive to buy or rent
  • Groceries are expensive compared to England. $4 for a loaf of bread? Seriously?
  • Going on holiday is expensive to book a hotel or fly.
    I am amazed of the cheap deals my dad and brother get to go to Spain, Canaries, Greece etc
  • I don't see how I can retire here. I would have to live in another state.
  • Dating in general is tough at 43. Most people have kids, or don't know what they want or are just too busy. Many people in the bay area have two jobs to make it work. Which is madness.
  • Earthquakes, fires and floods
  • Underlying tension of the gun culture plays on my mind when going to live events. See today's news about a shooting at a Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA.
  • I have no family here
  • The friends I have are too busy working or house projects or kids etc
  • Healthcare is not free and costs per co pay etc
  • I am sick of the attitude towards earning sick days
  • I get 15 days vacation which is considered good in America.
    My brother just got a new job in London that gives you 30 days + 8 Bank Holiday. My American friend just moved to London and now gets 28 days holiday pay.
    This seriously is my biggest gripe with America. It's all work an hardly any play. Corporate slavery.
    No wonder so many Americans are seeing therapists or on some kind of medication just to keep going here. They work you to the bone.
But, but..... I do like going to the beach every weekend with my dog and the weather is nice. But, I am suffering from loneliness and I am mentally and physically burned out from working all the time. And I don't see how I can sustain this as I get older.

Has anyone gone through this argument in their head before deciding to leave? Did you leave and now find life better in the UK.? Do you feel the same if you live in America still?
I know I have to give up certain things by moving back to England. But, I know I will gain other things in my life like my family, friends, life\work balance and that is important to my health.

Hi essexnick... I just read this out of curiosity as I sit by my pool in the glorious Algarve... I have been a British ex-pat for well over 35 years... Living and working in the Netherlands ...now retired here in the sun...I frankly had a very hard time living in NL.. Language and attitude being the biggest problems Otherwise for my OH and kids it was a perfect life ( I did learn the language after three years ) I might have missed a lot of UK living ,but I loved the Brabant warm summers and when the time came I couldn't go back to a UK winter..
What I am saying here is that you don't have to return to the UK and miss the California sunshine life. It used to be that the Algarve was exclusively for retirees.. but now I am seeing more and more young Brits coming here to work..OK.. agreed .. generally it is to start their own business's as suitable jobs for non Portuguese speakers are mainly confined to the Lisbon area. However. If you have the means to support yourself whilst you find that business... maybe its worth a shot..If beaches and sunshine mean that much to you
..My Youngest daughter did that .. Gave up her job, and fiancé in london 10 yrs ago to move here with nothing.. Got a job as a reporter ( luckily ) But now works in estate agency .. bought and sold apartments for herself twice ,now rents out for extra money. as wages are poor Property is relatively cheap against California prices. Whilst she earns nothing like the money she got in London... she wouldn't swap this lifestyle in the sun for anything.... Good luck with your choice...

Last edited by GeniB; Sep 12th 2019 at 10:06 am.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 5:26 am
Just Joined

aquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I wonder if those living in CA (and more specifically those of us in NorCal/Bay Area) are more jaded with/critical of US life than those in other states? Everyone I talk to around here has an exit plan, including myself, whether that be to another state or another country. The extreme cost of living has to be a factor, as does the traffic, the flooding/fire/earthquake threat and the relative isolation (it's a huge investment in both money and time to get back home, or to get anywhere really).

Because no one would ever move to the Bay Area 'because it's nice', everyone is here for work, and boy do they work all.the.time, and everyone is plotting their escape so it's hard to meet people and develop meaningful connections as everyone has one foot out of the door already.

When I tell people that I live in the Bay Area they start gushing about how uh-mazing San Francisco is and I always say, when was the last time you were there.... because if I *never* have to go into the city again I would not care one iota. Whatever magic and charm it had, it's not there anymore. It's just a terrible display of human misery and inequality and tech bro madness.
As a San Francisco Bay Area resident I quite understand the OP's perspective. I have lived in CA for 23 years, my two sons have grown up here and the UK is foreign to them. It is however super expensive and essentially in a complete bubble compared to most of "normal" America where there are so many nice and affordable places to live where you could also visit the UK more frequently. Perhaps the OP could combine the advantages of both? I also have both UK and USA passports which is an enviable and super valuable asset. Does it have to be one or the other?

In my case, the exit plan is already well underway. I am about to turn 60 and still working in the tech industry in the SOMA tech hub in San Francisco but realize (at last) I am about burnt out. Everyone else is a 25 to 30 something millennial and I just don't want to compete at that level anymore. In hindsight it is probably amazing I lasted so long as not many my age still at the cutting edge of disruptive software applications. I have also come to realize like the OP that the Bay Area is just a long way from anywhere else but that moving east a bit gets you more centrally located and accessible to lower cost areas with more varied geography and people. I actually love the vast scale and majesty of the USA and could not imagine leaving it completely. Also I have one son in the US Navy and another building a life here so can't just leave. However we have just sold our house in the Bay Area and bought a retirement home with a stupendous view in Sedona, Northern Arizona as a base. I ultimately still need sunlight and (reasonably) predictable weather and the type of scenery you just don't get in the UK or Europe. That still leaves enough to semi-retire, do longer trips in our RV to explore neighboring states and when we feel like it fly from Phoenix to London to stay in the UK for as long as we like where my sister has a house which being converted into a flat to make a second base.

Last edited by aquatone; Sep 14th 2019 at 5:38 am.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Cities are bad. Find a small community and become part of it.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aquatone
As a San Francisco Bay Area resident I quite understand the OP's perspective. I have lived in CA for 23 years, my two sons have grown up here and the UK is foreign to them. It is however super expensive and essentially in a complete bubble compared to most of "normal" America where there are so many nice and affordable places to live where you could also visit the UK more frequently. Perhaps the OP could combine the advantages of both? I also have both UK and USA passports which is an enviable and super valuable asset. Does it have to be one or the other?

In my case, the exit plan is already well underway. I am about to turn 60 and still working in the tech industry in the SOMA tech hub in San Francisco but realize (at last) I am about burnt out. Everyone else is a 25 to 30 something millennial and I just don't want to compete at that level anymore. In hindsight it is probably amazing I lasted so long as not many my age still at the cutting edge of disruptive software applications. I have also come to realize like the OP that the Bay Area is just a long way from anywhere else but that moving east a bit gets you more centrally located and accessible to lower cost areas with more varied geography and people. I actually love the vast scale and majesty of the USA and could not imagine leaving it completely. Also I have one son in the US Navy and another building a life here so can't just leave. However we have just sold our house in the Bay Area and bought a retirement home with a stupendous view in Sedona, Northern Arizona as a base. I ultimately still need sunlight and (reasonably) predictable weather and the type of scenery you just don't get in the UK or Europe. That still leaves enough to semi-retire, do longer trips in our RV to explore neighboring states and when we feel like it fly from Phoenix to London to stay in the UK for as long as we like where my sister has a house which being converted into a flat to make a second base.
Wow Aquatone! Kudos to you for making it this long in the SF techbro shitstorm. My OH and I are at least 20 years younger than you and both finding ageism alive and well (I never thought that I would experience that in my very early 40s). I think having a US passports is only a benefit if you are committed to staying in the US (I am not).
Old Sep 14th 2019, 6:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I (we) lived in SoCal years ib the 70's/80's. We made a lot of friends in 5 minutrs, but after 5 years, nothing had changed,

So we left.
Old Sep 21st 2019, 12:53 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Come to Georgia - choose the right bit and it's lovely, or maybe some of the more Cosmopolitan bits of the Carolina's.

The post above was my thought - you are comparing two different fruits,and probably one of them through a rose tinted lens. Popping to Spain on the cheap is no different to popping to Southern Florida for a bit (in many ways these days), or maybe Puerto Rico, or Mexico etc. Pop North into the Eastern States for a different type of culture on low cost flights, or drive.

To get what you are looking for from the UK, you will also be paying a Premium - average house prices in the South East have sky rocketed in the past 16 years, even allowing for any Brexit impact that might occur. My brother spends as much on rent for a 2 bed flat in Peckham as I spend on a mortgage for a 5 bed in Metro Atlanta.

The Holiday time thing is a real issue, granted, but the right employers will offer more these days, call it the Google impact. Competition for employees means these types of benefits are becoming more sought after.

Healthcare - umm, I'll give the UK that one.

Finally, the kicker, come South of Atlanta and you'll be unique (sort of), the accent will paper over any number of cracks with quite a few. I'm generally not a people person, but they often call me sweet, and no, for those that know, not in a Bless Your Heart type of way :-)
+1 about Georgia. One of the friendliest states in America. Very green and beautiful and the cost of living is quite good.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I wonder if those living in CA (and more specifically those of us in NorCal/Bay Area) are more jaded with/critical of US life than those in other states? Everyone I talk to around here has an exit plan, including myself, whether that be to another state or another country. The extreme cost of living has to be a factor, as does the traffic, the flooding/fire/earthquake threat and the relative isolation (it's a huge investment in both money and time to get back home, or to get anywhere really).

Because no one would ever move to the Bay Area 'because it's nice', everyone is here for work, and boy do they work all.the.time, and everyone is plotting their escape so it's hard to meet people and develop meaningful connections as everyone has one foot out of the door already.

When I tell people that I live in the Bay Area they start gushing about how uh-mazing San Francisco is and I always say, when was the last time you were there.... because if I *never* have to go into the city again I would not care one iota. Whatever magic and charm it had, it's not there anymore. It's just a terrible display of human misery and inequality and tech bro madness.
I don't think its confined to the Bay area Sherbet.. My ED lives in the San Juan islands ( off the coast of Seattle) and whilst it seems idyllic for some ie like the Bay area, that would be the wealthy...It is hard work ,and, low paid for the rest .It costs a bomb to get anywhere out of the islands.not only in money, but in time.She just came over to Portugal with our granddaughter for a month, took two days to get here via Ireland.Indeed the USA is a vast country and beautiful ,but thats not always a positive. You might achieve higher wages, but they are quickly consumed in the cost of living and the cost of travel. Ironically on a much smaller scale we experienced that in the Netherlands. Lured there by the promise of higher wages, we also found it cost an awful lot more than living in the UK.When you threw in the annual trips 'home' to see the relatives we realised we were hardly any better off. The only compensation was the 'life experience ' If that turns sour , then it is time to move on. As a seasoned ex-pat my only word of warning is that you will have changed. Going home might not be the answer you hoped for
Old Sep 25th 2019, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I ultimately still need sunlight and (reasonably) predictable weather and the type of scenery you just don't get in the UK or Europe.
I'm actually pretty surprised someone would say that. Of course it's always personal preference, but you certainly can't say that the type of scenery doesn't exist in Europe.
Apart from the difference in rock formations, most places with a semi-arid climate would be similar and even other parts of Spain for example would offer this type of scenery.
One example on a smaller scale would even be Las MĂ©dulas with a few rocks and bushes. Here two examples of random roads in Arizona and Andalusia.

Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

aquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond reputeaquatone has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Europe has spectacular scenery, I was referring more to the scale and relatively untouched emptiness of much North America. The knowledge that there are still bits of land where probably very few people have ever set foot unlike Europe. Neither does Europe have anything on the scale of the Grand Canyon for example or the huge untouched desert areas of the South West. Just driving I40 to Flagstaff with its endless mile after mile of empty vistas stretching endlessly away with little human touch is quite distinctive. Cheers!
Old Sep 27th 2019, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly Aquatone. Nothing in Europe is as spectacular as Bryce Canyon or The Rocky Mountains or countless others I could mention. And one can never get over the awe of seeing the sheer scale of the Grand Canyon in person.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 10:44 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Europe has spectacular scenery, I was referring more to the scale and relatively untouched emptiness of much North America. The knowledge that there are still bits of land where probably very few people have ever set foot unlike Europe. Neither does Europe have anything on the scale of the Grand Canyon for example or the huge untouched desert areas of the South West. Just driving I40 to Flagstaff with its endless mile after mile of empty vistas stretching endlessly away with little human touch is quite distinctive. Cheers!
In terms of jaw dropping beauty many areas of America are simply iconic. From the Blue Ridge mountains to the Appalachian Trails, to all the many National Parks in various regions of the country. Driving across America's northern corridor is an experience I would recommend to anyone that love doing a fun road trip. Wyoming, Montana, Iowa, Idaho and Washington State are mesmerizing. I happened to be one of those people that actually prefer to live in a place that feels scenically stimulating. The family and I just did a long trip in Europe and we all agreed that the UK was the standout of the few countries we travelled through. Was not as impressed with some of the others.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

pepekwa is an unknown quantity at this point

I stumbled upon this thread, I'm in a very similar position. I moved to the Sacramento area in 2003 also to marry an american girl, the missus and I will probably be separating in the new year. We have a 12 year old child and I do have a good paying job with the State of California with good benefits.

I became a citizen here when my daughter was adopted but I still have my UK passport. Like Nick, I have no other family here, my parents are in their 70's, my sister has 2 young kids. I agree with the whole friends/time off issue but I could retire here with my job if I was to work another 15+ years.

But I've never lost my englishness, I miss the cheeky chappie UK humour (auto correct here wants me to spell that as humor). I know the right way!
I want to spend quality time with my parents in their golden years.
What drives me crazy is the accent thing, every day without fail, I go through the same "where are u from" conversation, its so tiresome but as no-one here goes on vacation, I suppose its to be expected.

Its not as expensive here as it is in the bay area and I have a very good quality of life, the weather of course is amazing, going back to the UK would be a regressive step financially but I can't imagine living here long term on my own. I'd miss my daughter but she would be the only thing to keep me in the US.

Feel free to "reach out" to me Nick, I have a lot of things to sort out before I make the big decision.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a tricky one, you never know how long your Parents have and moving back for you Sister and her family, I guess that depends how close you are.

16 years and a lot has changed and not sure how old you are, Parents in their 70's, but can you get back in to the UK job market?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:49 am
Just Joined

pepekwa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is a tricky one, you never know how long your Parents have and moving back for you Sister and her family, I guess that depends how close you are.

16 years and a lot has changed and not sure how old you are, Parents in their 70's, but can you get back in to the UK job market?
i'm 45 and getting a job again in england would be challenging but I don't want to have regrets in life and I know I would if i stayed in the US, primarily for work purposes.
I've been itching to move home the last few years to be honest, I've never really embraced the american lifestyle, like nick said, it is very much all work and no play here.