Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Old Feb 9th 2018, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

I know that for a lot of people the mere thought of downsizing their books is too hard to even contemplate, is never accomplished and their motto becomes “downsizing be damned”. While I have downsized to 1 book I can understand why people hold on to their books.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If I cannot read them why should I hang on to them. Would you have me become a hoarder ?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 8:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
I know that for a lot of people the mere thought of downsizing their books is too hard to even contemplate, is never accomplished and their motto becomes “downsizing be damned”. While I have downsized to 1 book I can understand why people hold on to their books.
Originally Posted by scot47
If I cannot read them why should I hang on to them. Would you have me become a hoarder ?
Oh, I can beat that My (French) MIL died about 6 years ago and her husband asked my wife to promise to look after her 1000+ collection of livres de poche after he passed away,.which he did a year ago.

We now have five (5) ceiling high bookcases full of the books which so far, after a year, neither of us have even looked at.

I haven't read any because (a) my french is only intermediate and (b) like scot47, my eyesight these days in inadequate for the very small fonts.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Feb 11th 2018 at 9:03 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring on the bottle of petrol and the box of matches !
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

My brother-in-law returned to Scotland this week with 2 suitcases full of our belongings - now half of my clothes, my DH’s kilt outfit, and half of our photo albums are now safely in Musselburgh - the return journey has begun.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
I can answer this one for you! I have two children and one on the way. I am British and my husband is American, and yes, getting a UK passport for them is very easy indeed! All you'll need to do is submit your birth certificate along with the application, plus you'll need to have photographs notarized by someone who has known you all for a certain number of years.

There really aren't any other hoops to jump though, though. That's all you need to do. You child is a dual UK/US citizen at birth.
As long as mum is a British citizen born in the UK, and not a British citizen by descent born elsewhere.

British Citizenship By Descent Or Otherwise | Workpermit.com
Old Mar 9th 2018, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that Leonard Cohen is not everyone’s cup of tea but for me listening to his song “Going Home” is so, so beautiful.

My DH has his 2nd TKR surgery in 5 days. We feel more prepared this time around having just gone through it with his first knee surgery. Every day getting closer to our return.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

cca123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand that Leonard Cohen is not everyone’s cup of tea but for me listening to his song “Going Home” is so, so beautiful.

My DH has his 2nd TKR surgery in 5 days. We feel more prepared this time around having just gone through it with his first knee surgery. Every day getting closer to our return.
Just listened to it. I've never heard it before but I love the chorus lyrics. Thanks for sharing.
When is your move date?
Old Mar 11th 2018, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

cca123 - glad you liked it. We’re hoping to make it all happen by July. Biggest priority right now is DH’s surgery on Wednesday.

Another song I have been listening to a lot is Caledonia - sung by various artists with my favourite being Amy MacDonald followed closely by Frankie Miller. I love the line “Caledonia you’re calling me and now I’m going home”. Runrig and the Proclaimers are also getting lots of air time in our condo!!
Old Apr 5th 2018, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Scot_74 is an unknown quantity at this point

A feeling deep in the core of my being that I need to return to my homeland. An ache that never goes away. However much I try my best to make the most of every day outside of Scotland there is a general sense of unease that I am in the wrong place.
I have been in Australia for almost 30 years and this is exactly how I have felt the entire time no matter how I tried to get on with life. I can't wait to move home. It is all I can think about now.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Scot_74 - I hurt for you knowing that you have felt like this for almost 30 years. That is a heavy burden to have carried. How wonderful that you are planning on moving back. I’m sure it will be a truly joyful occasion and you can live the rest of your life in your beautiful homeland. Sending my very best wishes to you.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 3:33 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are moving back home to Scotland in 2020. After 22 years in Canada it is time to go "home". As much as we have loved our time there are things that we just cannot explain and have therefore decided to start the next chapter of our lives back in Scotland. We cannot wait and know that 2 years is a long time but still I am sure it will pass quickly. Funny, how us Scots just want to go home...
Old Apr 6th 2018, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Yes there certainly seem to be quite a number of us Scots about to return!

I am reminded of the chorus of A Scottish Soldier (Green Hills of Tyrol)

Because these green hills are not Highland hills
Or the Island’s hills, they’re not my land’s hills,
As fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 7:50 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there certainly seem to be quite a number of us Scots about to return!

I am reminded of the chorus of A Scottish Soldier (Green Hills of Tyrol)

Because these green hills are not Highland hills
Or the Island’s hills, they’re not my land’s hills,
As fair as these green foreign hills may be
They are not the hills of home.

Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Every day gets a little closer:

- DH recovering nicely from his 2nd TKR surgery
- condo on the market
- pinball machine will be sold - it’s not making the journey to Scotland!!
- approval to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions
- UK bank account opened
- flights booked - return in July

It’s still hard for me to believe that my long-cherished dream is about to become a reality. I’m filled with an overwhelming feeling of joy and peace and spend a lot of time quietly reflecting on my 33 years in the USA. If my dad were still alive and my mum was not suffering with dementia I know that they would say to me “Caroline, job well done”. I vividly remember them waving goodbye to me at Waverley Station when I was 21 and heading down south for my first job in England. I feel I have come full circle when I return to Edinburgh with my DH and youngest son in July as a 60-year old.

Thanks for all the support on this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.