Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Novocastrian - thanks for the encouraging words. Downsizing is definitely liberating and I have found it to be a process rather than an event. Many items that I thought I could never part with are no longer in my possession. Over the past 5 years I’ve passed on over 800 books and have kept just one.

In addition my DH is in the process of copying all digital photos and 8mm video cassettes onto a portable hard drive. We’re going to make 3 copies and give one to each of our sons.
I don't think you've understood downsizing...

I have received a shipping quote from Bournes for 8,750 pounds from Phoenix to Edinburgh. This is for door-to-door with a 20 foot sole use container. Does anyone know if this seems reasonable?
...if you need a 20 foot container. Strip it down to stuff you really want to keep and what is appropriate for your future life in the UK.

We got rid of 95% of our stuff, and 95% of what we kept is in the attic in France and will almost certainly stay there for ever.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Novocastrian - haha - I definitely understand downsizing - my DH still has some work to do and has now decided to keep the pinball machine. I can’t downsize for him!!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Novocastrian - haha - I definitely understand downsizing - my DH still has some work to do and has now decided to keep the pinball machine. I can’t downsize for him!!
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Oops - didn’t mean to post twice!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

<splutters in horror>
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much BEVS. This summer when we were in Scotland I was finally able to put into words what my homesickness means. Here it is:

A feeling deep in the core of my being that I need to return to my homeland. An ache that never goes away. However much I try my best to make the most of every day outside of Scotland there is a general sense of unease that I am in the wrong place. A feeling of well-being and comfort that permeates through me when I am in Scotland. I can no longer ignore/fight these feelings and we are returning to Scotland.
I feel the exact same way, from the day I left Glasgow when I visited last April just the thought of home would fill me with both excitement and emotion. I was in tears at the airport and on the plane as I watched it disappear in the distance. From that point on I literally could not stop thinking about it, I even stopped watching Canadian TV and subscribed to a UK Freeview Streaming service

Now with the move date approaching, it feels like all my cares in the world are starting to vanish, I no longer have this feeling of dread when it comes to waking up each day - as I think I now have something to truly look forward to.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte - so glad my words resonated with you. I’m excited for you with your imminent return. How many weeks to go? Also, will you be settling in the Glasgow area? I grew up in Troon so visited Glasgow many times while growing up.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Just wanted to give an update. My DH is recovering well from his TKR surgery 2 weeks ago. His 2nd TKR surgery is scheduled for 14th of March. He had a choice of the 14th or 28th of March and chose the 14th so he wouldn’t be having surgery on my 60th birthday!!

We are planning on being back in Scotland on July 18th. That gives us time to go to Carnoustie and watch the British Open!!!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

MaddiGibbs is an unknown quantity at this point

This is my first post on any of the forums. My husband and I moved to Arizona in 1985. We have been here since then. In May of this year we retired and spent six months in Europe. We have made the decision to return to Scotland and our plan is to make the move next year. Our 3 sons were born in Arizona and are now scattered (Seattle, Dubai and Scotland) and are all very supportive of our move. I don’t have any questions as so many of them have been answered by reading this forum. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has provided so much information and so many honest insights into moving back. I’ve struggled with the Arizona heat for a long time. My homesickness has grown over the years and now it is time for us to return to our homeland. Beyond excited at the thought of being back in my beloved Scotland. Thanks for letting me share.

I'm so happy for you and your decision!
Can I ask you a question, though? If your sons were born in Arizona, but you're Scottish (British), does that make them a dual citizen of the USA and UK?

I ask because I'm British, my husband's an American and our son was born 17 months ago in America. Would I be able to apply for his British passport outright?

Just curious about the experiences of other parents in similar situations thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute

Freshwhyte - so glad my words resonated with you. I’m excited for you with your imminent return. How many weeks to go? Also, will you be settling in the Glasgow area? I grew up in Troon so visited Glasgow many times while growing up.
After deciding to stick with the March date I've got 8 weeks to go. I've been eyeing a few places in Dennistoun - I like the area and its quite close to the city centre. West End rents have skyrocketed over the last few years !

My mum loves Troon, she used to always take my brother and sister there when they were kids (unfortunately I never got the opportunity) Perhaps I'll get to see it this time around !
Old Jan 30th 2018, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to give an update. My DH is recovering well from his TKR surgery 2 weeks ago. His 2nd TKR surgery is scheduled for 14th of March. He had a choice of the 14th or 28th of March and chose the 14th so he wouldn’t be having surgery on my 60th birthday!!

We are planning on being back in Scotland on July 18th. That gives us time to go to Carnoustie and watch the British Open!!!
That's so exciting! We're probably about ten months behind you, but really looking forward to it nonetheless!
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaddiGibbs
I'm so happy for you and your decision!
Can I ask you a question, though? If your sons were born in Arizona, but you're Scottish (British), does that make them a dual citizen of the USA and UK?

I ask because I'm British, my husband's an American and our son was born 17 months ago in America. Would I be able to apply for his British passport outright?

Just curious about the experiences of other parents in similar situations thanks!

I can answer this one for you! I have two children and one on the way. I am British and my husband is American, and yes, getting a UK passport for them is very easy indeed! All you'll need to do is submit your birth certificate along with the application, plus you'll need to have photographs notarized by someone who has known you all for a certain number of years.

There really aren't any other hoops to jump though, though. That's all you need to do. You child is a dual UK/US citizen at birth.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi MaddiGibbs - yes our sons have dual nationality and the 3 of them have USA and UK passports. It is a straightforward process as PrairieWriter has indicated -www.gov.uk
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

My brother-in-law is visiting from Scotland and brought the following goodies with him - yummy, yummy,yummy!!

- 12 packets of Roast Chicken crisps
- 4 Crunchies - I let my DH have all of them as he loves them so much
- GOLD biscuits
- 2 packets of M & S Toffee Chocolate Eclairs
- 2 boxes of M & S Chocolate Biscuits - I love how they describe them on the box as “Extremely Chocolatey”
Old Feb 9th 2018, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Downsizing is a strange experience. I am not new to the process but have just experienced the trauma of getting rid of all of my books. Hard for someone who was a great reader for 60+ years. My vision has deteriorated to a atge where I can only read large-print books. So I have now joined the vast majority of the population of Yahoos in this barbarous land. I live in a house with no books.

Last edited by scot47; Feb 9th 2018 at 4:39 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.