Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

This is my first post on any of the forums. My husband and I moved to Arizona in 1985. We have been here since then. In May of this year we retired and spent six months in Europe. We have made the decision to return to Scotland and our plan is to make the move next year. Our 3 sons were born in Arizona and are now scattered (Seattle, Dubai and Scotland) and are all very supportive of our move. I don’t have any questions as so many of them have been answered by reading this forum. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has provided so much information and so many honest insights into moving back. I’ve struggled with the Arizona heat for a long time. My homesickness has grown over the years and now it is time for us to return to our homeland. Beyond excited at the thought of being back in my beloved Scotland. Thanks for letting me share.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 1:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Glad to see that the forum has already helped. Just to say that if you have US citizen children then you ought to consider taking out US citizenship before you leave if you haven't do so already. This will permit you to come and go as you please and stay as long as you like in the future without having to worry about immigration.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response. We both became citizens in 2003. Still can’t decide if our boys were more excited about witnessing their parents becoming US citizens or the fact that they each got the day off school! Just completed the paperwork yesterday for the renewal of my UK passport.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 2:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear. Sounds like you have everything in hand
Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, i wish you the very best on your decision.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much vikingsail. It’s been quite a journey to get to this point. For 9 years I didn’t visit Scotland as it became too hard to leave after a visit. I also took a 3-year break from Facebook as photos of Scotland triggered such emotion in me. I just got on with things in Arizona and didn’t even talk to anyone about it. That is why it has been so good to find this forum - great for practical information but especially wonderful to know I’m not alone in how I have felt.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
but especially wonderful to know I’m not alone in how I have felt.
You are not alone with this.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much BEVS. This summer when we were in Scotland I was finally able to put into words what my homesickness means. Here it is:

A feeling deep in the core of my being that I need to return to my homeland. An ache that never goes away. However much I try my best to make the most of every day outside of Scotland there is a general sense of unease that I am in the wrong place. A feeling of well-being and comfort that permeates through me when I am in Scotland. I can no longer ignore/fight these feelings and we are returning to Scotland.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much vikingsail. It’s been quite a journey to get to this point. For 9 years I didn’t visit Scotland as it became too hard to leave after a visit. I also took a 3-year break from Facebook as photos of Scotland triggered such emotion in me. I just got on with things in Arizona and didn’t even talk to anyone about it. That is why it has been so good to find this forum - great for practical information but especially wonderful to know I’m not alone in how I have felt.
And I'll be the first to agree your not alone in this. I'm going through one of those periods when visiting the Uk is harder and I'm avoiding it because I know the having to leave will be worse than the time there.

Even so I'm beginning to plan a Springtime trip which will include Scotland and just choosing places to stay is already making me want to be there.

Last edited by vikingsail; Nov 5th 2017 at 4:14 am.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

A number of points for the OP -

1) It is worthwhile to check how much UK state pension you and your husband are entitle to. Have a look at the limit below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

It may be beneficial for you and your husband to paid voluntary National Insurance contributions in order to receive a bigger UK state pension.

2) If you are over 60, but under 65 when you return to Scotland, apply for a National Entitlement card ASAP. The National Entitlement card gives you free bus travel within Scotland. The Scottish Government recently started a consultation in changing the eligibility of getting the National Entitlement card. It could mean that the current age requirement for a National Entitlement card would go up from 60 to 65 sometime next year.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publi...eople/#para222

3) As an US citizen, you may need to file annual tax return to the US tax authorities even after you moved to the UK.

4) Bank account - if you don't have an UK bank account, you can try and open one in the US with HSBC before coming back to Scotland.

https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/per...banking-center
Old Nov 5th 2017, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you are moving to, but just thought I'd mention that Icelandair does flights from Aberdeen or Glasgow to Seattle. They allow you to do free stopovers in Iceland and the prices are reasonable.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks HKG3 and mrken30 for the information.

My husband is already 60 and I turn 60 in March. We’ll definitely be applying for a National Entitlement card.

We are thinking of moving to the Musselburgh area where we have family, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, who returned to Scotland 2 years ago after 20 years in Arizona. Sounds good to fly Glasgow to Seattle via Iceland.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

I had thought that I had no questions. It hadn’t occurred to me to ask the following. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Hypothyroidism. The medications I take are Enbrel for the RA and Nature Throid for the Hypothyroidism. Does anyone know if I am going to encounter difficulties in getting these medications in Scotland?
Old Nov 11th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

I had thought that I had no questions. It hadn’t occurred to me to ask the following. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Hypothyroidism. The medications I take are Enbrel for the RA and Nature Throid for the Hypothyroidism. Does anyone know if I am going to encounter difficulties in getting these medications in Scotland?
It appears that Enbrel (under the name of Etanercept) is available in the UK -

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rheuma...tis/treatment/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etanercept

On the other hand, nature throid is a bit difficult to get. Since it is not licensed in the UK, you can only get it on a 'named patient basis'. Have a look at the links below for details -

Thyroid UK - Where to get Desiccated Thyroid Hormone

Thyroid UK - Named Patient Basis
Old Nov 11th 2017, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

HKG3 thank you for the information. I’ve had a look at all the websites. Great to know about the Enbrel as it has made such a difference in my life since I started the medication several years ago. I am currently in remission from my RA. I had never heard of “Named Patient Basis” before. My plan is to move back to Scotland with 3 month’s supply of each drug - won’t be able to get more than that.

Every day I feel like I’m getting a step closer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.