Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Old May 23rd 2018, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Steerpike - yes the pinball machine has been sold. I just phoned the buyer to confirm and he’s collecting it on Friday. It’ll be a sad day to see it go out the door! Although I am leaving behind 2 good doctors (regular doctor of 29 years and my RA doctor of a few years) I want to make it work in Scotland and not have to rely on coming back to Arizona. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!
Old May 24th 2018, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Eight weeks to go!! Today we visited a stamp dealer. My DH has decided that he’s not going to take his vast stamp collection back to Scotland. Got all of $75 for 3 of his best albums. He’s thinking he may get about $5 for the remaining 40 albums! Sad week for my DH with the loss of his pinball machine and his stamp albums! A friend came round today and took some of our furniture. She has so much of our stuff (furniture, artwork, books, ornaments) that it’s like our second home! They’ve been our best friends for all 33 years and it’ll be hard leaving them!
Old May 30th 2018, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Seven weeks to go!! Almost finished getting the first crate packed. Plan on getting them picked up next week when second crate is packed. Still waiting for TOR number. Final visit to the stamp dealer yesterday. He bemoans the fact that hardly anyone wants to collect stamps these days. Nine days until we move into temporary accommodation. Booked an Alaskan cruise for June sailing from Anchorage before the craziness of July happens! All good stuff!!
Old May 30th 2018, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

From one Caroline to another (I'm in Arizona as well).. I think you are moving to Scotland. Do you already own a place there? How did you find a place to live? I'm hoping eventually to move to Dumfries/Galloway area..
Old May 31st 2018, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Caroline! We don’t own a home in Scotland. We’re staying in AirBnB for the first 2 weeks and that is as far as we’ve got. Best wishes.
Old May 31st 2018, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Rogerb123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Thank you very much vikingsail. It’s been quite a journey to get to this point. For 9 years I didn’t visit Scotland as it became too hard to leave after a visit. I also took a 3-year break from Facebook as photos of Scotland triggered such emotion in me. I just got on with things in Arizona and didn’t even talk to anyone about it. That is why it has been so good to find this forum - great for practical information but especially wonderful to know I’m not alone in how I have felt.
I know exactly how you feel. Every time I go back and I just don’t want to get on the plane to come back to Canada.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rogerb123 - welcome to the forum. Do you have any plans to return for good? When I came to Arizona in my 20s I had no idea what kind of emotional journey I would be on with regard to having left my homeland. Still can’t believe I’m about to return and I don’t think I will until the plane lands in Edinburgh. I’m sure most people on the plane will know about my return as I’ll be going round telling them all!! Best wishes.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving Arizona after 32 Years

Rogerb123 - welcome to the forum. Do you have any plans to return for good? When I came to Arizona in my 20s I had no idea what kind of emotional journey I would be on with regard to having left my homeland. Still can’t believe I’m about to return and I don’t think I will until the plane lands in Edinburgh. I’m sure most people on the plane will know about my return as I’ll be going round telling them all!! Best wishes.
I also left the Uk in my 20's (27 to be exact) and only returned after 38 years, also landing in Edinburgh on a flight from Toronto. I remember the border control chap at the airport saying "I hope you had a good holiday?". "Errr, yes, Thanks" I said.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in the US in 1986, when I was in my early 20's. I feel like a squirrel in the middle of the road...I just can't make up my mind to go or stay. My husband died four years ago. Not sure I would be feeling this way if he was still alive. Decisions, decisions. Happy for all that are going back
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Wow! This moving country business is not for the faint of heart! In 6 days we move out of our condo into temporary accommodation. In a strange twist of fate just as we are leaving Phoenix my DH’s brother is going to be based in Scottsdale and we are moving into his apartment. He hasn’t even moved in himself. He’s getting most of our furniture, appliances and all kinds of other stuff. He’s been without a home for several years as he’s traveled the world with his job and now wants a base.

We are trying to rent a flat in Scotland and there has to be someone to view the property before they will rent it out. On Wednesday my sister-in-law’s mother is going to view the flat. Hope it works out.

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
I arrived in the US in 1986, when I was in my early 20's. I feel like a squirrel in the middle of the road...I just can't make up my mind to go or stay. My husband died four years ago. Not sure I would be feeling this way if he was still alive. Decisions, decisions. Happy for all that are going back
If you are moving back to the UK, you should consider applying for US citizenship before leaving the US - especially if you have family and friends staying in the US.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
If you are moving back to the UK, you should consider applying for US citizenship before leaving the US - especially if you have family and friends staying in the US.
Yes, I naturalized a few years back, so got that covered! Thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Steerpike - yes the pinball machine has been sold. I just phoned the buyer to confirm and he’s collecting it on Friday. It’ll be a sad day to see it go out the door! Although I am leaving behind 2 good doctors (regular doctor of 29 years and my RA doctor of a few years) I want to make it work in Scotland and not have to rely on coming back to Arizona. I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!
Can you tell me, where did you get the Pinball machine, how did you sell it, and roughly how much $ was involved? I want to start looking for one! I was at a dinner party the other night and it was rather boring until I discovered they had a good old-fashioned pinball machine in their game room. I played with it for hours! It was a bit 'flakey', and I wonder how one services such a beast, but it was a ton of fun! To this day, I have yet to play with a modern 'game' system!

Regarding your doctors ... remember that you just may want to see a bit of sunshine in the depths of winter in Scotland. I know it gets hot in AZ in summer, but having an excuse to fly in to Phoenix for a week in January may not be the worst thing in the world!
Old Jun 6th 2018, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Steerpike - yes pinball machines are a lot of fun!! One of the neighborhood kids once got the top score and my DH played for a significant amount of time until he had reclaimed the top spot!! We bought it in 2004 for about $5,500 and sold it for $4,700. We sold it to the guy who serviced it - he owns Firebird Pinball firebirdpinball.com. We could have got more for it through EBay but the way we did it was very simple. My DH ordered it online and it was shipped to our house.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Six weeks to go!! Yesterday UPakWeShip came and collected our 2 crates. So far we’ve been pleased with them. We’re still waiting for a TOR number and they’ll hold the freight for 14 days in storage free of charge while we wait. My sister-in-law’s mother visited the flat, said it was lovely, we said we wanted to rent it and now waiting on the landlord’s decision. I said goodbye to my regular doctor and my hairdresser. All these goodbyes! Feeling quite exhausted with everything going on so am going to sit and do nothing this afternoon apart from indulge in chocolate - the solution for everything!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.