Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

At last we are on TV A Place In The Sun

At last we are on TV A Place In The Sun

Old Jan 10th 2004, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]
Did you live near any of the properties that they showed you?

Susan

Hi, We rented in Woolgoolga, just down the road from the purple house, which was still for sale when we returned in August.

Sue
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:40 am
Just Joined

unsettled is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oz a great place?

Hi Sue. Wondering why you didn't want to stay in Oz? Blue skies, beaches, sun, crime etc. I ask as one who is here but misses home.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz a great place?

Originally posted by unsettled
Hi Sue. Wondering why you didn't want to stay in Oz? Blue skies, beaches, sun, crime etc. I ask as one who is here but misses home.
Crime is not a reason to stay in Oz.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:15 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Oz a great place?

Maybe high crime.
High unemployment.
Low salaries.
High cost of housing.

Just a few reasons and maybe why you are here ? Do not get me wrong, I like Oz but you need to look at the good and the bad together.

Originally posted by unsettled
Old Jan 12th 2004, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sue5665
Did you get chance to watch?

There was a lot of things that were not true,

1st. Our budget was 200,000 uk pounds
2nd. The 4 houses were all in NSW but no where near each other,which was very misleading
3rd. It is not called the Jacaranda coast, they called it that because of all the Jacaranda trees.

Sue

Hi, was away for the weekend, so only saw the videoed show last night. Looks great. How did you feel about the edit. We agree that the area covered was large, but looks similar to the range we'll be looking at to build. If you want to buy outside the 'burbs I think that's the kind of range you need to cover.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sue5665
Hi Mutznuts,

Well we made the decission to return to the uk,

Here is our story!

Our first visit to Australia was in 1990 when we first got married, we stayed for 3 months and toured around the cities, we feel in love with OZ.

We returned to the uk and had two children, hubby came again to oz to visit his brother who lives in Adelaide on his return he was excited and that got the ball rolling we applied with his brother sponcering us, we were granted our visa, at that time our children were 4 & 5, we put our house on the market e.t.c but huddys dad became very ill, so it was put off, Hubby went over with a mate (who met a ozzie girl and has since moved to Adelaide) to get his passport validated.

Life continued in the uk we had a house built, great jobs, great pay but always in the back of ours minds was Australia (more for my husband).
Anyway after hubbys father died we booked a trip for 1 month to Adelaide to stay with his brother, we took the kids and hubbys mother, had a great time and met up with the friend who he came over with, after staying with them listening to them, how wonderful everything was, we were hooked.
We returned to the uk and hubby sponcered me and the kids we were accepted and put everything up for sale.
November 2002 we got the chance for a all expensives paid trip to oz with channel 4 "A place in the sun" (on Friday 9th Jan 4pm channel 4), I had to get my visa validated so this was a good chance as we had not sold the house, so we left the kids for 2 weeks with mother-in-law and came to Coffs harbour which is a beautiful place.
Returned to the uk, house sold and arrived over here in March, hubby got a great paided job within 2 weeks, kids started school,
we were amazed of all the prices of thing, nobody told us about the little extras e.g stamp duty on cars e.t.c
Since getting here hubbys mate is returning to the uk (so much for all his praise).It took my husband 15 years to talk me into going, but he was the one who felt homesick,he missed his family and friends,
The he and youngest son nearly drowned after a month of arriving and this has put our views on what we want, and I dont want to die here, when we came over we said we would give it 5 years but what if we want to go back and our kids don't, little things do matter we can't point out things to our kid's like "that was where I went to school"e.t.c.
We drove to Adelaide arriving on 8th July, our eldest son was in a car accident, the car was a right off but he was only injured slightly, so this did it for us, we felt that this was a sign and oz is not ment to be for us.
We arrived back in the uk on 19th August and we arebuying a house that needs lots of work so this will keep us busy.

Good luck to everyone and we are glad we did go, so we can now get on with our life with out the what if's.

Sue

Don't forget to watch 'A Place in the sun'
where we will be making a tv debut !!
God Sue, thought we the only ones who are glad we tried it but now want to settle ourselves back in England.

Been here in Adelaide for 4 months. On the one hand it was nice hot to have christmas pushed down your throat every 5 minutes as it is in the UK, but on the other hand, it just didn’t seem right to be putting the tree up in 35 degree heat!

I don't know whether its just the 4 month-itch but we are on a real downer with the place now, and really missing damp old Britain. A number of things have all come together at one time to make us feel "trapped" on the other side of the world. We bought a house so we are now "committed" here, the heat and sunshine are unrelenting (yes really - I miss the rain!!!), work is shit, but the biggest problem is the bugs.

Its not only the sheer quantity of them but the variety of stuff that will kill you. since moving into the house, we have had to deal with the following ;

2 brown snakes (second most deadly after the Inland Taipan)
hundreds of cockroaches, even dropping out of light fittings
Red back spiders - not only deadly, but actually agressive with it.
White tail spiders - flesh rotting, generally resulting in amputation
Numerous other types of poisonous spider
and although not deadly millipedes, but these are around the house by the million. This is no exaggeration - I used 9 tubes of silicon round the windows to try and stop them coming in. We have been warned that when it rains again in April, we can expect them every 3 inches over all walls and ceilings, inside and out and to be scooping them up with a shovel from the patio. How about that? Nightmare. They stink also, containing cyanide of all things, so thats a real treat when you get up in a morning and tread on a couple of dozen with bare feet. Oh, and if they drop off the ceiling onto your face in the night, they like to burrow into your ear. mmm!

You might well imagine that we are totally freaked out by this, and scared stiff for the safety of the kids. We came here for an outdoor life but have to keep the kids inside for fear of the frigging wildlife.

Our guest house on the land was also infected with termites, so just another cuple of Grand to sort that out. I have to pay this, as I can't even set fire to it as we have a total fire-ban till next May as we are in a bush-fire area. We went to a course at the fire station on bush fire behaviour and home protection. It is the scariest thing ever. The eucalypt leaves are so oily, they practically explode. The fire front moves at 30km/hr. We have 2 full power fire hoses, butterfly sprinklers, impact sprinklers, gutter plugs, weep hole spark arresters, drench stations, auxilliary fire tanks, breathing equipment, auxilliary pumps, radiant heat shields, mist shields - stuff you've never heard of. I knew of the fire risk, but can’t even think of making preparations for this while I'm fighting the bug invasion.

My chainsaw was red hot on Saturday, as I cut down 20 trees that were too close to the house. We were going to have a spa / pool installed and thank god we didn't order one - it would have been a millipede soup!

We can't sleep at night because of the heat, the bugs and the koalas shagging in the trees - really. They grunt like bears in the night, and snore all day.

All the other Brits we know, who have been here for years (and they are literally everywhere) say if we stick it out we will get used to it, but we can't imagine getting used to all this, and maintaining our dignity at the same time. None of them want to return, but in order to stick it out, you’ve got to want to, which at the moment we don't.

Work is not too good either. There is plenty of work, but I am supposed to be self-employed, but can't get that kind of work. In reality I am employed full time by a company although I put an invoice in. The money is OK for the local market because I have no mortgage / debt, but it is basically in Dollars what I previously made in Pounds!! It worries me that the longer I leave it, the harder it will be to go back to Britain, as I will not be able to afford to. (Thinking about it, that’s probably why those that have been here a while don’t want to go back - they can't!) The market is tiny being just the city (1 million people), so its about 1/60th of the UK market.

Its very parochial too and everyone knows everyone. When I left a company, the labour agent took the hump and to get me back, reported me to the immigration authorities for working in breach of my visa conditions (I was in the clear, but was on "Notice of Expulsion" for 3 days and then had a Category 1 interview to go though (I thought category 1 might involve rubber gloves and lubricant, but sadly it didn’t). So the moral is that you piss people off with care in this town. They are all friendly till you cross them, and there is a big culture of "dobbing in" (snitching to the authorities).

Strange as it may seem, I miss the travel in the UK - sat in the traffic with the heater on your feet, listening to non-commercial radio. I never get to go anywhere - I sit infront of a computer in an airconditioned office with no windows about 8ft square from 8.00am to 5.30pm every day. That is considered a short working week here, as it is a small company. The bigger players all offered me a job, but they were talking of average weeks of 65 hours

No-one has a sense of humour either. The only guy in the office who is mildly amusing is a Scot.

We are likely to put the house back on the market next month and then make a decision whether to move to somewhere less infested (although that generally is nowhere in Australia) or come back to UK. Theres a problem of small-town mentality in each of the cities. You suddenly realise how sophisticated and interesting the UK is.

So what a dilemma - I know deep down how shit Britain is, but all the cold, damp, traffic etc seems really appealing. I dream of sitting infront of the fire, watching quality tv without a fly swat in my hand! But the kids school is better than any I have ever seen and the kids are so happy.

I really got a kick out it all at first but slowly, the dream has evaporated. I hoped to have a house with acreage, a pool, work from home with no debt, have plenty of leisure time etc etc. Only thing I got from that is the land - 12 acres of snakes and fire risk.

I'm glad I did it - at least now I know!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sundarize

and although not deadly millipedes, but these are around the house by the million. This is no exaggeration - I used 9 tubes of silicon round the windows to try and stop them coming in. We have been warned that when it rains again in April, we can expect them every 3 inches over all walls and ceilings, inside and out and to be scooping them up with a shovel from the patio. How about that? Nightmare. They stink also, containing cyanide of all things, so thats a real treat when you get up in a morning and tread on a couple of dozen with bare feet. Oh, and if they drop off the ceiling onto your face in the night, they like to burrow into your ear. mmm!

Hi Sundarize,

Was very interested to read your post as my hubby is very keen to go to Adelaide - may get him to read your experiences...!

I know what you mean by the millipedes - we visited Adelaide last April and when it rained we couldn't believe how many of them got into the B & B where we were staying. They completely freaked our 7 year old! The lady who owned the B & B sprayed something round the doors (don't know what it was) but it did seem to reduce the numbers getting in!

Whereabouts are you living in Adelaide? The fire precautions sound very scary..... :scared:

Nicola
Old Jan 12th 2004, 4:01 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally posted by sundarize
God Sue, thought we the only ones who are glad we tried it but now want to settle ourselves back in England.

Been here in Adelaide for 4 months. On the one hand it was nice hot to have christmas pushed down your throat every 5 minutes as it is in the UK, but on the other hand, it just didn’t seem right to be putting the tree up in 35 degree heat!

I don't know whether its just the 4 month-itch but we are on a real downer with the place now, and really missing damp old Britain. A number of things have all come together at one time to make us feel "trapped" on the other side of the world. We bought a house so we are now "committed" here, the heat and sunshine are unrelenting (yes really - I miss the rain!!!), work is shit, but the biggest problem is the bugs.

Its not only the sheer quantity of them but the variety of stuff that will kill you. since moving into the house, we have had to deal with the following ;

2 brown snakes (second most deadly after the Inland Taipan)
hundreds of cockroaches, even dropping out of light fittings
Red back spiders - not only deadly, but actually agressive with it.
White tail spiders - flesh rotting, generally resulting in amputation
Numerous other types of poisonous spider

You might well imagine that we are totally freaked out by this, and scared stiff for the safety of the kids. We came here for an outdoor life but have to keep the kids inside for fear of the frigging wildlife.

Our guest house on the land was also infected with termites, so just another cuple of Grand to sort that out. I have to pay this, as I can't even set fire to it as we have a total fire-ban till next May as we are in a bush-fire area. We went to a course at the fire station on bush fire behaviour and home protection. It is the scariest thing ever. The eucalypt leaves are so oily, they practically explode. The fire front moves at 30km/hr. We have 2 full power fire hoses, butterfly sprinklers, impact sprinklers, gutter plugs, weep hole spark arresters, drench stations, auxilliary fire tanks, breathing equipment, auxilliary pumps, radiant heat shields, mist shields - stuff you've never heard of. I knew of the fire risk, but can’t even think of making preparations for this while I'm fighting the bug invasion.

My chainsaw was red hot on Saturday, as I cut down 20 trees that were too close to the house. We were going to have a spa / pool installed and thank god we didn't order one - it would have been a millipede soup!

We can't sleep at night because of the heat, the bugs and the koalas shagging in the trees - really. They grunt like bears in the night, and snore all day.

All the other Brits we know, who have been here for years (and they are literally everywhere) say if we stick it out we will get used to it, but we can't imagine getting used to all this, and maintaining our dignity at the same time. None of them want to return, but in order to stick it out, you’ve got to want to, which at the moment we don't.

Work is not too good either. There is plenty of work, but I am supposed to be self-employed, but can't get that kind of work. In reality I am employed full time by a company although I put an invoice in. The money is OK for the local market because I have no mortgage / debt, but it is basically in Dollars what I previously made in Pounds!! It worries me that the longer I leave it, the harder it will be to go back to Britain, as I will not be able to afford to. (Thinking about it, that’s probably why those that have been here a while don’t want to go back - they can't!) The market is tiny being just the city (1 million people), so its about 1/60th of the UK market.

Its very parochial too and everyone knows everyone. When I left a company, the labour agent took the hump and to get me back, reported me to the immigration authorities for working in breach of my visa conditions (I was in the clear, but was on "Notice of Expulsion" for 3 days and then had a Category 1 interview to go though (I thought category 1 might involve rubber gloves and lubricant, but sadly it didn’t). So the moral is that you piss people off with care in this town. They are all friendly till you cross them, and there is a big culture of "dobbing in" (snitching to the authorities).

Strange as it may seem, I miss the travel in the UK - sat in the traffic with the heater on your feet, listening to non-commercial radio. I never get to go anywhere - I sit infront of a computer in an airconditioned office with no windows about 8ft square from 8.00am to 5.30pm every day. That is considered a short working week here, as it is a small company. The bigger players all offered me a job, but they were talking of average weeks of 65 hours

No-one has a sense of humour either. The only guy in the office who is mildly amusing is a Scot.

We are likely to put the house back on the market next month and then make a decision whether to move to somewhere less infested (although that generally is nowhere in Australia) or come back to UK. Theres a problem of small-town mentality in each of the cities. You suddenly realise how sophisticated and interesting the UK is.

So what a dilemma - I know deep down how shit Britain is, but all the cold, damp, traffic etc seems really appealing. I dream of sitting infront of the fire, watching quality tv without a fly swat in my hand! But the kids school is better than any I have ever seen and the kids are so happy.

I really got a kick out it all at first but slowly, the dream has evaporated. I hoped to have a house with acreage, a pool, work from home with no debt, have plenty of leisure time etc etc. Only thing I got from that is the land - 12 acres of snakes and fire risk.

I'm glad I did it - at least now I know!
God I thought my experiences with cockroaches was bad enough, I'm afraid I would have been out of there by now. Have to admit now back in the UK it is lovely to know that if I get up to the loo in the middle of the night I don't have to switch on the light in case I tread on something and that when I get up in the morning I don't have to inspect all the ceilings etc in the house armed with my tin of cockroach spray before I put the kettle on, and I am not normally bothered by creepy crawlies, my sister wouldn't have survived 1 hour in Oz never mind 6 months!!!! its nice that our little girl can go outside and I don't have to worry about what is about in the garden.

Susan
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My eldest son had a allergic reaction to the mossie bites, when we got there he made friends and went to the local skate park but after a week he would not go out after school he was covered with bites, they turned into big blisters and went septic, the doctor put him on anti-biotics and said if he keeps getting bitten and has this reaction to them, it could get serious,and advised us that he must keep his self covered up, so you can imagine in that heat wearing long trousers and tops, the poor sod went through hell.

Sue