Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

last minute jitters, anyone else?

last minute jitters, anyone else?

Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:36 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: last minute jitters, anyone else?

That's expensive can you not sell some stuff here. It is cheap to replace stuff in the UK.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:45 am
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: last minute jitters, anyone else?

I plan to get rid of everything when i move back to the UK besides my photos and some personal stuff, i do have a beautiful distressed antique sea chest it is so heavy but i don't want to part with it, have no idea if it is worth shipping or not, other than that i will be starting from scratch.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:37 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you fill the sea chest and ship it. I would especially if you love it. A lot of shipping companies will ship 1 item and it goes on volume not weight.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Going back doesn't haveto mean going back to your old life. I think living overseas makes you realise how much control you have over how you live your life.
I think this is a really important point! Your old life has gone - wherever you move on to, you have to face it like a move to a new place. It seems to me that the ones who struggle the most are those who think they are going "back" to what they had and when they find that everything has moved on without them, there's a sort of resentment.

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I think I will be accepting invitations to lots of craft parties etc even though I wouldnt normally. I think its all part of the settling in process. I sometimes wish Id not taken that first step into the moving countries world. I should have just stood on the edge and observed. I suppose then I would not have had the life experiences I have. Its one to tell the grandchildren when I get older.
Well, if you are a knitter, come and join the UK knitting community! It's been the best thing for me for making friends in my "new"(very old) environment! I can't thank our local knitters enough, I've made some great friends in the process! You'll probably always have that odd itch for adventure now - hopefully you'll be able to scratch it with ease from this side of the world (and, no, I don't mean just by knitting something in fairisle LOL)
Old Apr 4th 2014, 9:24 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
That's expensive can you not sell some stuff here. It is cheap to replace stuff in the UK.
That is with us shipping what I thought was a reduced household.
But with a queen bed, 3 singles, 2 cots, 2 chest of drawers, 1 bookcase, 1 sideboard, lounge suite, 4 blanket boxes ....

Okay, it is a lot. But loads were gifts, old family items etc, and with five kids there is a lot of stuff in life.

I have emailed though asking what we can do to reduce the cost, there is a few more items of furniture that we can off load here and replace if it drops the shipping cost significantly. And I can always get rid of more books and craft items if need be.

Out of curiosity how much (ie size) did you ship - was it a 20ft container or less, and what was the charge?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

That is a lot Ble. I think we paid $10k for a 20ft NZ to UK with Crown who are considered one of the more expensive companies. We had a three bed house although we did leave lots of our ikea furniture in NZ to be fair, so get a few quotes. We liked crown as their timings were much better, although they tried to delay us, we pushed them to uphold their original quote/timings...cheeky sods.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pippalonghorn i thought it went by weight, well that makes me feel better, as it is such a beautiful chest, i use it as a coffee table and it my favourite thing i own, i would be heartbroken if i had to leave it behind, i just did not know i could afford to take it with me, but now i am very excited yay.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Yes, it's normal. I too had the same jitters when it was decided we were moving from US to UK. I still wasn't really sure when I boarded the plane back home.

If I'm honest, then I have to say that as much as I love it here and finally feel settled, there are things that I miss desperately about the USA. I wouldn't go back there to live because I prefer my lifestyle now but don't be surprised if once the honeymoon period of being back in UK subsides, you find yourself being a teensy bit homesick for your past life.

I suppose you can't live somewhere for such a long time and not have some great memories and feelings for the place.

Go with the flow and enjoy your new life back in UK, you'll be fine
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:23 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dannigirl
That is a lot Ble. I think we paid $10k for a 20ft NZ to UK with Crown who are considered one of the more expensive companies. We had a three bed house although we did leave lots of our ikea furniture in NZ to be fair, so get a few quotes. We liked crown as their timings were much better, although they tried to delay us, we pushed them to uphold their original quote/timings...cheeky sods.
I know - but it was for sole use of a 40ft.
So I guess looking at your price it is about right.

I have a another couple of companies coming round, and have also asked for what sort of cost saving measures we can take.
I don't want to be opening boxes at the other end to find 1 cushion and and a book in one large box like we found when we got here.

But having seen your price, for a 20ft it is feeling a little bit better. I am not sure if getting rid of a third of what we would like to ship is worth it for a saving of only around 3k.

Decisions, decisions.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:39 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by ble
That is with us shipping what I thought was a reduced household.
But with a queen bed, 3 singles, 2 cots, 2 chest of drawers, 1 bookcase, 1 sideboard, lounge suite, 4 blanket boxes ....

Okay, it is a lot. But loads were gifts, old family items etc, and with five kids there is a lot of stuff in life.

I have emailed though asking what we can do to reduce the cost, there is a few more items of furniture that we can off load here and replace if it drops the shipping cost significantly. And I can always get rid of more books and craft items if need be.

Out of curiosity how much (ie size) did you ship - was it a 20ft container or less, and what was the charge?
Hi. I am shipping about 250 Cubic metres or feet, whichever uses a third of a 20ft container. We didnt bring much over and we have not been able to afford any new stuff from here with it being so expensive. We are sharing a container with another family too which brings the cost down lots.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:41 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Yes, it's normal. I too had the same jitters when it was decided we were moving from US to UK. I still wasn't really sure when I boarded the plane back home.

If I'm honest, then I have to say that as much as I love it here and finally feel settled, there are things that I miss desperately about the USA. I wouldn't go back there to live because I prefer my lifestyle now but don't be surprised if once the honeymoon period of being back in UK subsides, you find yourself being a teensy bit homesick for your past life.

I suppose you can't live somewhere for such a long time and not have some great memories and feelings for the place.

Go with the flow and enjoy your new life back in UK, you'll be fine
I am expecting to miss NZ once things calm down back home. Its lovely when you all share your own experiences because it prepares me for whats ahead.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 10:46 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Love this feeling I'm getting of us all being in this together from this thread-We're like the American war brides (in reverse) I'm planning on moving back in August with my 12 year old son after being here in the US 13 years. I too am getting rid of everything except photos, personal momentos. I am desperately waiting for the weather to warm up (in Ct-sitting by the wood-stove) so I can start having tag sales (every weekend till everythings gone) Even though I am ecstatic about going home I too have these moments of panic where I picture myself destitute and unhappy wishing I was back in Ct. sitting by the Woodstove. Then I think of my family and the fact that I no longer will have to miss all those special occasions, birthdays, anniversarys, weddings, bonfire night, boxing day etc. and I know I am making the right decision, not to mention English chocolate and curry anytime I want :-)
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

LOL rOBRILEY, you made me laugh, how true we are like American war brides in reverse, and yes i agree i am scared of being completely broke too, but at least i will have my family, and omg yes i miss my British chocolates, my daughter recently sent me a birthday package, and included a ton of chocolates, i was in cadbury heaven lol.

So glad i found this site, i have never felt this happy in along time, no one i talk to here understands as they have their families around them, so now i know where to come when i am feeling homesick
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r0briley
Love this feeling I'm getting of us all being in this together from this thread-We're like the American war brides (in reverse) I'm planning on moving back in August with my 12 year old son after being here in the US 13 years. I too am getting rid of everything except photos, personal momentos. I am desperately waiting for the weather to warm up (in Ct-sitting by the wood-stove) so I can start having tag sales (every weekend till everythings gone) Even though I am ecstatic about going home I too have these moments of panic where I picture myself destitute and unhappy wishing I was back in Ct. sitting by the Woodstove. Then I think of my family and the fact that I no longer will have to miss all those special occasions, birthdays, anniversarys, weddings, bonfire night, boxing day etc. and I know I am making the right decision, not to mention English chocolate and curry anytime I want :-)
Ha ha I remember seeing an exhibit about GI brides and bursting into tears.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:17 am
Looking for my marbles.

I think we should keep posting on here even after we move back so we can all see how each other is doing. Our own support group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.